Should I Still Be Leaking Breast Milk

for the last few days, my breast have been tender, and i thought that it was from my one year old jumping on me, but to my suprise this morning, i realized that i still have some breast milk, its clear but its there. I did breast feed but i stopped one year ago. My baby is 16 months, i stopped at 6 months. I just need to know if someone else ever went through this. this is scary. Somebody please help.

From your message I gather you had not been producing any milk (or fluid) from your breasts once you stopped breastfeeding, that this recent fluid is new and unusual. I really think you should go see your ob/gyn as soon as possible to rule out another pregnancy or other condition. I don't want to scare you even more, but sometimes with breast cancer (especially inflammatory breast cancer) there is tenderness and fluid discharge from the nipples. You are very young, but breast cancer is non-discrimminatory - anyone at any age can get breast cancer whether there is a family history or not. The sooner you go see your doctor and rule out cancer, the better. I hope the news is good and it's just a hormonal thing - but better safe than sorry! Good luck.

Same exact thing happened to me. The doctor said it was no big deal... but probably good to at least call or get it checked out.

Its natural for you to still lactate for awhile, your hormones are gradually getting back to normal. As long as you get regular checkups and your Dr. is aware of this and not concerned, I wouldn't worry about it! :)

M.,
I would advise you to speak with a lactation consultant or breastfeeding support specialist. They can most correctly answer your question. Katie Bouzon is one person to call. Her number is ###-###-####. I'm sure she would be glad to help you.
Blessings,
H. L. R.
Birth Doula & Childbirth Educator

I am the mother of three breastfed children. With my last child (she is now 4) I leaked fluid for at least a year or more after she was weaned. I had breast fed her for one year. At my yearly checkup I asked the doctor about it and they took a sample of the fluid to make sure there was no infection or anything more serious. I was fine and eventually it dried up completely. If there is any pain, anything unusual about your breast, or if you are just concerned I would certainly schedule an appointment. Always better to be safe than sorry, but in my case it was nothing. I hope this helps ease your fears.

I actually continued to produce a small amount of milk for several years after my daughter was weaned. If the tenderness is bothersome, I'm sure your doctor could suggest something to stop it. It never bothered me, so I didn't worry about it.

Don't worry about it. My daughter is 15 months old and I noticed I was leaking about two months ago. It only lasted a couple of days, but I thought it was weird, too. Not scarey though. It's okay. I wouldn't be concerned. It just happens to some people.

Hi, I would say have it checked out. Like another said...I don't want to scare you either, but I remember my mom mentioning she had milk for a while in the breast that WAS later found to have cancer. Don't be scared, just be safe and have it checked out. My mom is a 15 year breast cancer survivor! Blessings to you!

1 / 3