Should I Refrigerate Molasses?

Updated on May 01, 2010
M.K. asks from DPO, AA

I just opened a bottle of molasses for a receipe and I'm not sure if I should refrigerate it. There isn't anything on the bottle to indicate if it should or not. So I thought who else would know but the ladies of mampedia! I'm positive that if I put it in the fridge that it will thicken up even more but I'm not sure if the pantry is too warm. So, should I refrigerate an open bottle of molasses or put it on the shelf in my pantry? Thanks in advance!

• Add your own comment
  • Ask your own question
  • Join the Mamapedia community
  • as inappropriate
  • this with your friends

answers from Phoenix on

Only refrigerate it if you want to spend 10 years getting it out of the jar next time. :-)
Molasses are shelf stable. The pantry is fine!

answers from Boise on

Mine is on my pantry shelf.

answers from Norfolk on

If you refrigerate it, it will crystallize. place it in the pantry, tightly sealed in a cool dry place where it will not attract ants.

answers from Stationed Overseas on

Put it on the shelf and forget about it until the next recipe! No refrigeration required.

answers from Honolulu on

no do NOT refrigerate it.

Next question: What Stays in Your Refrigerator and What Is Stored in the Pantry?