Should I Go to the ER or Not? Kidney Pain

I just posted about kidney stones. I've had them before. I have had pain that I thought was female pain. But at my gyn appt last week no female issues were seen. However, I had blood and protein in urine. Then I remembered last time I had kidney stones I thought it was female issues. But then the pain was very extreme. This time, it's more nagging/aching but it is painful. The pain this time is more in my flank/kidney area and bladder. I was negative for UTI. It's Sat and the Dr's office closed. I could go to urgent care, but they don't have imaging so they couldnt really tell me what is wrong, correct? I would rather do that, it's much cheaper. But I want to know what's going on and if this is about ot progress to really bad pain soon like last time I had kidney stones. I will need some strong pain meds. I am not even sure this is kidney stones. What else could cause blood in urine and pain and protein in urine?
Should I go to ER or does this not warrant a trip?

Thanks. Went to ER. They said I had multiple stones and to be prepared for more to pass. FUN! I got a strainer and a referral to urologist.

I would go to the ER. I have had kidney stones too. Once the pain becomes too intense it gets more difficult to travel. They usually can determine if it is a kidney stone if you have had them before. They can give you the medicine you will need to ease the pain, and it is VERY painful. I have discovered that I was eating way too many berries. Berries are high on the list for causing kidney stones. Also, I have not had anymore since I have added water, water and water to my diet. I know I pee more BUT no more kidney stones. Good luck. Let us know what
happens.

happens.

You had blood and protein in your urine and no one suggested a follow-up visit with a doctor of some kind? Yikes. You need to be seen today with that pain. Will urgent care send you out for imaging? If not go to ER. And I would seriously rethink going back to the gyn that did not send you to see another doc if this was not something he/she could take care of. This is bordering on, if not actual malpractice.

I'm glad you went to the ER. Be sure to strain for the stone(s) so if you pass it they can analyze it and ask the urologist for a referral to a nephrologist.

Go to the ER. Urgent Care really isn't equipped to handle that. Since you know it's not a UTI, it is likely kidney stones. The doctors can examine you and figure it out. If you're having difficulty urinating, not urinating very much, have dark urine, or lots of pain, you definitely need to be seen. Until you get seen keep drinking plenty of water to try to help flush it through and keep you hydrated. If you're still hesitant, call your family MD and tell them your symptoms and ask them what they recommend. There is always someone on call, and that's free!

Poor thing!! GO TO THE ER!!!

Got to the ER. I had the same thing happening. They might have to surgically remove them if they are big. They can atleast get you pain med through the weekend.

I say if you're super uncomfortable and you are concerned you need to go where ever is going to give you the best medical attention. While urgent care may be less expensive if they can't help you, send you home and then tomorrow you are worse you'll wind up in the ER anyways and it will be even more expensive than necessary.

You know your body better than anyone else does. If it's similar to last time it just might be kidney stones. My dad had kidney stones he chose to ignore that wound up having him in an ambulance being shipped from our town to a large city center for care, his body tried shutting down because the stones were too big to pass. I'm not at all suggesting your problem, if kidney stones is that severe I'm more just saying taking a chance isn't a good idea.

Read online about other things that can cause blood and protein in your urine. I know blood is an indicator of a lot of different things, what did your doctor say last week when he/she saw that those were present in the urine dip?

Good luck and let us know what happens!

I am just getting caught up on my Mamapedia, sorry for the delay. If you are having that kind of pain you need to get to the ER. If you let Kidney Stones go too far you could be at risk for going on Dialisis. Believe me you do not want that.

Hope you get it all taken care of.

1 / 3