Should I Go on the Field Trip?

Hi Moms!
Im just learning the do's and donts of Kindergarten and could use some advice. So, the class needs parent volunteers for the field trip. Since I also have a 2 year old little side kick, it is not easy for me to get a babysitter for him that early in the morning, we live pretty far from my sister (our babysitter) and I probably wouldnt make it back in time for the field trip if I took him to my sisters. So, the teacher said if I brought him, they wouldnt allow me to be a volunteer (understandable) but they said we are welcome to go as patrons. So basically I would just be tagging along and being no help to them. :( But I really want to go. :( Would it be weird if we just tagged along or should I just let my daughter go and do her own thing?

Go while the gettins good! That's a country way of saying go while you still can. Soon she won't want you anywhere near her. But for now, she still wants you around. It would be fun. But sometimes she does have to do stuff on her own so she can have a story to tell you. what did Dori say in finding nemo....if you never let her do anything.........

My kids are 14, 11 and 7 and I have gone on every single one of their field trips. Its always more fun when mom is there and they are not little forever. If you are allowed to go and still take the sibling, then I think you should. Have fun!

If you want to go then go. When my older kids had field trips to public place (the zoo, apple picking etc.) and younger siblings couldn't come I would go as a patron. If it was something like a play then I wouldn't go.

I'd go as a patron! You'd see some of the ins and outs of volunteering for the school, which will be handy the rest of the school year when you are able be a real volunteer. And it could be fun! Unless your daughter objects - and I don't know why she should - do it!

I remember my first field trip in kindergarten and we went to a farm. My dad went and that is one of the few memories that I still have of him and I when I was young. He died when I was 17 and my parents divorced when I was 7. I didn't get to see a lot of him after that. I say go as a patron and enjoy it! You never know what your daughter will remember. Have fun!!

Definatley go. Funny thing is you'll go as a patron but being a mom, you'll pitch in with 2 year old in tow. I've gone on so many field trips with parents with little ones and those without. I even went on a field trip after knee surgery, because I promised my son and there were plenty of moms going, and was walking with a cane and the girls had to use the bathroom and one of the "volunteers" was too busy texting so I got up to take the girls and as I am hobbeling along the hallways with 9 girls one of the, "patrons" with an 18 month old took over the line of girls. You'll have a great time and get to see what is expected of a volunteer for future trips and it'll be cool to see how your daughter interacts with her friends. Have a great time!

It wouldn't be weird however I wouldn't go. Your daughter is just starting to have adventures that don't include you and it's normal to want to be a part of everything she does. Instead of tagging along find something else to do with your 2 yr old and let your daughter gush about the great time she had on her field trip.

If it would be an enjoyable trip for your younger one and you would not be overwhelmed managing both kids then go. I went on my son's pre-K trip a few days ago and there were parents there for more than half the kids. But it was still fun. I got my mom to stay over at my house the night before and watch my 21 month old for the morning.

I am in the minority, but I say don't go if you can't find care for your 2 year old. 2 year olds tend to draw a lot of attention from kindergarten girls and it will take away from the adventure and specialness for the day for your daughter. It is great that you want to volunteer. Could your 2 year old stay the night at our sisters so you dont have to worry about transportation? Or could your sister have a "sleepover" at your house? I have been on the teacher side of this and while we never say anything to our parents, it's nice when they are no younger children around diverting attention from the students and the learning experience.

Go! It will mean a lot to your daughter for you to be there. I remember last year when I went on my daughter's first kindergarten field trip, a little girl that was in my group said (with a huge frown) "I wish my mommy was here!" I knew from that point I would never miss a field trip unless it was beyond my control.

1 / 3