Should I Correct My Daughter on Holding the Pencil Right

My very bright daughter holds her pencil in an ackward position, She will be 6 next month and will be entering the 1st grade in the fall. I'm not sure if I should correct her or let it go.

Thank you all. My daughter does have great penmanship so I will let it be.

It could be a sign of a small motor issue. My son had OT for fine motor and the main indication was that he held pencils and crayons awkwardly. Pencil grips, strength squeeze balls, playdoh all help with fine motor. Also..let her use really really little (short) pencils and crayons--like little stubs. That kind of forces them to hold them correctly!

At age 6 this may self correct, but learning the proper pencil grip is important. I would look for a little pencil called the Twist n write. It is shaped like a Y and the child's index finger goes through the Y so that they must hold it in a proper tripod grasp. They look like little rockets. You may be able to find them in stores, but you will find them easily on line too, the Pen version is called Penagain, and is larger and padded. Give it a try, and keep an eye out for her fine motor development- espcially if she is holding her head funny when she writes too, or if she does not seem to get that she should use her non writing hand to stablize her writing, these would go hand in hand (no pun intended) with a poor pencil grasp if she has fine motor issues. She may not at all, 6 is pretty young. I would not let it go-a proper grasp is essential.

I personally would let it go.

I write at a weird angle, I'm right handed and have to have my paper turned at a 90 degree angle. I remember teachers trying to turn my paper straight.
I used to read that way too, I would have my book turned at an angle but could read without turning my head.

I was corrected when I was in 3rd grade because I'm left handed and was dragging my hand across pencil, marker, etc. and getting smudges on myself and the page (I have never done the hook).

I've seen people holding writing instruments in all kinds of crazy ways. Our soon-to-be 4 year old son does it, too, and I've chosen not to correct him because it's natural and isn't impeding his ability to write.

That being said, I'd see if it's a limitation to her ability to write well and quickly, and only bring it up if it's something that challenges her. If not, I'd let it go.

I don't hold a pencil correctly and never realized I held it wrong until later in life. I write very hard on the paper I think as a result. Often in college my hand/wrist would ache from writing a lot. I'm not sure, if this is a result of holding a pencil incorrectly or if I was just doing a lot of writing. I don't seem to have any problems now unless writing for long periods which rarely happens. So to answer your question, I think if I was in your position I would try to correct it but if you can't change it I wouldn't worry about it. Have you asked her teachers opinion or any teachers opinion?

I tried to correct my then 7yo and it didn't work, she got frustrated I got frustrated, I finally let it go. Her handwritting is fairly neat and I can understand every word so I lost that battle,

I think it's ok to let her hold it however she feels most comfortable. If she seems to be holding it in a real cumbersome manner, maybe you can check with the doctor to see if it poses longer term problems....

Personally I held my pencil/pens in an awkward way when I was a child as well (I held my utensils weird too!) At some point in my pre-teens I just switched on my own. No real reason that prompted me, I think I just did it to 'see' and it just felt right so I continued with the 'correct' way. I'm guessing she'll just evolve on her own

Over the years, I had teachers struggle to correct the way I held my pencil. I had to use those grippy things on a pencil and I was always being scolded. I also had terrible marks in penmanship. When I hit high school and teachers stopped caring (or at least bothering to correct me), I immediately went back to holding the pencil my way - even after probably 8 years of "correcting" my grip - and my handwriting improved 110%. I kept a journal in high school and took excellent notes in college and grade school with my own odd way to hold a pencil, and I have had no health problems except that I have a callus on my ring finger where the pencil digs into my knuckle. When I moved to Japan for a couple years, people began telling me how I was holding my chopsticks wrong as well (in exactly the same way). But I can still use them nearly as well as the Japanese! ^_^

My vote is to go ahead and try to correct it now, since she's so young and she may just need to learn the right way to do it, but if it fails, please don't stress about it. Don't let anyone tell you it will interfere with her life, either. She may need to hold it that way in order to write effectively - right now, it's too early to tell.

1 / 3