K.M. asks from Carol Stream, IL on December 10, 2009
Should I Consider Induction?
I am nearly 39 weeks along. Since Monday, I have been dilated 3cm and 75% effaced. About 2 weeks ago my blood pressure began to rise and I have become at-risk for preeclampsia. I went on bed rest and my blood pressure is back to a pretty good range. Not great, but not terribly worrisome. Initially when my bp started to rise my Dr. started talking about inducing. Since that time I have lost my mucous plug and began to dilate. At my appointment today my doctor stripped my membranes to see if that would help speed things along. Otherwise he has said that he would like to induce sometime next week unless labor happens beforehand. His reasoning is that because my bp is still problematic it will only get worse as the baby continues to grow and put more pressure on my body. They have done several non-stress tests to see how the baby is doing and she is perfectly healthy so far.
I have voiced my concerns about being induced - I have heard that it can make labor more painful and definitely increases the likelihood of a c-section. My doctor explained that because my body is already responding/preparing for labor that the induction should go smoothly (if we get to that point).
What do you think? Should I listen to my Dr. and consider induction next week? Or should I just try to wait this out and let my body take over? This is my first child and just don't quite know what to think.
2 moms found this helpful
So What Happened?™
Haven't had the chance to read all of the responses. I'm not even sure if I should now since our path has already been pretty well determined...
I woke up this morning with blurry vision and was sent to the hospital for an evaluation. After some walking and other tests, my contractions started coming every 2-3 minutes, yet my cervix still is making no more movement. I stayed in the hospital for observation - more tests, more walking, still major contractions, yet no more dilation. Ugh. They think I am in early labor and with a very low dose of pitocin my body will take over. So...my doc will be inducing later this evening and if all goes well we will have our little girl tomorrow.
Y.D. answers from Chicago on December 11, 2009
I have 3 kids - induced with all because I had gestational diabetes and they were all big babies.
No problems with the inductions at all... Good luck and congratulations!
J.S. answers from Chicago on December 11, 2009
Do what is best for mommy & baby. I have been induced 3 times and delivered vaginally all 3. The last 2 pregnancies my BP was the issues. Like you, the tests showed the baby was fine, it was me having the problem. I did not realize how much my BP was affecting me until I delivered and it bounced right back to normal. Good luck!
A.H. answers from Chicago on December 11, 2009
Your body is meant to be able to give birth. I've seen parts of The Business of Being Born and my best friend has given birth at home 4 times! Doctors want to be home for dinner. Hospitals are a business. They want you in and out. All this pitocin and C-section business is just a way for them to "turn over" more beds. Let your body tell you what to do. Doctors have convinced so many of us that we're incapable of doing this without drugs and tons of intervention. Baloney! Get good nutrition so your body will be ready when the time comes. See, once you get in the hospital and go on pitocin, they don't let you eat. Of course, you're going to need more intervention that way.
That's my opinion. I'm no doctor. But my doctor specializes in home births and if you want to call him, you can at ###-###-####. I don't know what advice he can give you without seeing you, but his name is Dr Rosi (pronounced Rosey) and he's great.
Whichever way you deliver, your baby ends up in your arms, so you've got to do what seems best to you and don't freak out over anything (keep that BP under control by drinking plenty of water and deep breathing)
Congratulations on having your new little sweetie.
R.S. answers from Chicago on December 11, 2009
I started having contractions at 39 1/2 weeks, but was not really dilated. I also had high BP and was very dehydrated. After some therapeutic rest in the hospital (morphine to help me rest through the contractions) I dilated to 4 cm and my water broke. Then things stalled out. They wanted to put me on pitocin, but because of the reasons you mentioned (painful labor, greater risk of c-section, etc.), I was hesitant. My doula said that since I was already 4 cm, I was probably going to have painful contractions to dilate the rest of the way, whether they were natural or pitocin-induced. So if you've already dilated a bit on your own it may not be so bad (I had already been in labor for a while when they gave me pitocin, but my daughter was born just over 3 hours after they started giving it to me). I hope that helps, at least somewhat.
Best of luck for a healthy labor and birth,
E.R. answers from Chicago on December 11, 2009
My son is 10 now, but back when I was pregnant, they decided to induce me because he was a large baby and they were concerned about preeclampsia. I had NINE HOURS of Pitocin - and no labor! The nurses kept coming in and checking on me and saying "You're still here?!?" I watched 3 movies and my family went in and out... finally, the doctor told me it just didn't seem to be happening. They had never seen anything like it! I was starving and asked if I could go home and eat- I told him " Right now, I would rather have a sandwich than a baby!" We went home and my mom and I spent the next week walking up and down the neighborhood trying to induce labor. It was bitterly cold, and I went in every day so they could monitor the baby's vitals.
Finally I went into labor while eating a big breakfast of pancakes and bacon at a restaurant! My son weighed almost 10 pounds and had a very large head, but he came out when he was good and ready!
So try the induction if you want, but don't worry too much about it either way. Once labor starts you will be so wrapped up in it, you won't be thinking about woulda, shoulda, coulda. And try eating a big pancake breakfast- it worked for me! Good luck and congratulations on your little girl!
K.B. answers from Chicago on December 11, 2009
I was induce twice and it is nothing to worry about. With my second daughter, I was kind of in the same boat as you. I was already effaced and dilated, in fact, I was already having mild contractions. The petocin (drug used to induce) helped things along. Things went very smooth and baby was born with no problems. Don't worry. The doctors and nurses will be there for you! The pain I would guess is about the same no matter what, you are pushing out a babe! Good luck and God Bless you and your family!
H.F. answers from Chicago on December 11, 2009
Definitally. I was induced at 37 weeks with my twins and my entire labor was 6 hours and had them both naturally (no c-section) and got my epidural with in 3 hours on the onset of labor. I was not induced with my second pregnancy bc i went into labor 9 days before due date and my entire labor was 6 hours as well. Both ways went great for me, but i liked being induced because i feel it went quicker off the start and i got my epidural a lot quicker bc i was in the hospital the entire time. Do what you want, but in my case, i did well with being induced. good luck.
L.F. answers from Chicago on December 10, 2009
K., I bet you're in labor as I type this :-)
For my first child, my water broke before I had any contractions, and I went into labor on my own later the next day. The labor wasn't too painful. For my second child, I was induced at 39 weeks because the doctor thought the baby might get too big. I didn't use pain meds for either delivery. (No, you don't win any awards for doing that.)
All I can say is that contractions using pitocin are significantly more painful than contractions when your labor progresses on its own. But if you are planning on getting an epidural, then it shouldn't make any difference. You should definitely consider induction if your blood pressure is getting worse. If it is holding steady, then just keep in good contact with your doctor and you can both come to a decision next week. Good luck! You'll be holding that precious little girl in your arms soon!
C.A. answers from San Francisco on December 10, 2009
Hey! I just gave birth Dec 2 and had a really similar situation! 39 weeks, high blood pressure, pre-eclampsia risk, first baby, non-stress tests showed no problems with baby/placenta/etc, mucous plug gone.
My OB stripped the membranes on a Friday visit and suggested we induce on Monday if nothing had happened already. When I checked in Monday night, I was dilated to 3.5cm and partially effaced, which made everyone think things might go quickly. They did not - my water broke early Tuesday morning, but it took a LONG time for things to start happening. I delivered early Wednesday morning (about 30hrs after initial water breaking). The baby's heartrate stayed stable throughout the entire time.
My doctors would not have started talking about c-section until closer to the 48hr mark after water breaking (probably varies depending on if you have a little leak or a big gush) - so I agree that's probably not that big a risk.
As for pain - I have nothing to compare it to. It was bad, and long, and frustrating that a lot of my laboring didn't feel "productive". But I think that's not uncommon for 1st-time deliveries. I waited a looong time to ask for pain meds because I wanted to minimize what went through my system (eventually did 2 rounds of fentanyl and then an epidural for the final 7 hours) and the physical pain was surprisingly exhausting. (I'm an athlete so I went into this with really high endurance.)
Summary: if I did it over again, I probably would've asked to wait until Weds to try inducing instead of being eager to start on Monday. BUT my blood pressure was really barely borderline-high - a couple readings in the 150s but mostly 130s. Had it been higher I wouldn't have hesitated.
M.M. answers from Chicago on December 10, 2009
I was 3 days past my due date and dialated to a 3 when I was induced. I had no difficulty and my labor was not super intense. I asked for an epidural about 3 hours after starting pitocin and all was well after that :o) Good luck in whatever you decide. Little girls are soooo fun!