Should Hilary Rosen Apologize to Ann Romney?

In response to Mitt using his wife as his personal stand to the economic needs of American women, Rosen (DNC advisor) said Mitt shouldn't refer to his wife for any economic references since "she has never worked a day in her life". Mrs. Romney shot back on Twitter stating that she "...chose to stay home and raised 5 boys. Believe me, that was hard work."

I see both sides. Romney should know better than to base his political economic street cred on his wife and Rosen needs to learn the golden rule of keeping her hands off political family members. If Mitt continues to mention his wife during his campaign speeches, does that mean all bets are off?

I shake my head at Rosen's boldness during an election year, yet I wonder how much do I really have financially in common with Mrs. Romney.

Is it safe to say that one side has Hilary Rosen, the other has Ann Coulter? You say tomato...blah blah blah...its all starting to sound the same to me.

The only thing I know about this story is what you have typed. My initial thought is, while Rosen could have worded her statement better, she's absolutely correct. She should have said that Ann Romney did not have a paying job, so she did not know what it was like for families to try to make ends meet, which is what Mitt Romney was trying to imply.

The Romney's are absolutely clueless about the financial world of 90% of Americans. When asked what kind of car his wife drives, he said she had 2 Cadillacs (I believe, I'm not certain what car it was, just that she has 2 of them). When asked about NASCAR he said some of his closest friends are owners. The guy does not have a clue what it's like to buy mild, so he's probably trying to imply that his wife does.

This was not in any way a slite to SAHM's. This was all about the Romney's being out of touch with reality.

I wouldn't apologize. Screw 'em! She has a constitutional right to say whatever it is she wants to say. The Romneys are going to have to get a little thicker skin if they plan on seeing this whole election thing through.

Amen Jill T! Couldn't have said it better myself!!

It was really ignorant, disrespectful and bitter. So sick of the poor me mentality.

Tat2d~2~b amused: seriously? When you have money and it gets hard, you just call people in to fix things for you? It's statements like that which create more of a divide between people. Are there rich people who take the easy way out of parenting? Sure. And there are POOR people who don't parent too! I'm wealthy and to say that I don't work just as hard at parenting as you do makes me very angry and makes me feel way less generous about giving my money away to people like you who seem to have their hands out. Money certainly doesn't fix all problems kids may have too. Respect me and I'll respect you. You obviously dont respect mothers who aren't poor. How stupid is that? Base it on the individual vs a stereotype you came up with! Jackie Kennedy was very wealthy but I think from all reports, she was an excellent mother. I love her quote "it doesn't matter what else you do in life if you mess up raising your children." Speaks volumes. And I have to say so does running for President when you're wealthy. Does he need this job?? Is it incredibly hard work and demanding to run for President? YES!! If she was so lazy and wanted to take the easy way out, she'd tell him to not bother. Not like they need the paycheck! I think they're setting excellent examples for their children of geting involved despite the fact that they don't need to. They could sit back and coast but they're not. I bet Mrs. Romney doesn't have time to be on Mamapedia a lot!

Shirley, a government mandate to protect women's right to affordable contraception is not starting a war on women. Telling women they have no right to employer-funded contraception -- that they're "sluts" if they even want contraception -- that's a war on women.

And, um, should Hilary Rosen apologize to Ann Romney? Oh, I guess so. Honestly, Hilary Rosen had a point, but she made it in an awkward, disrespectful way. Of course, Ann Romney works. But she has no concept of the economic reality that 99% of American women live with, SAHMs or not. So, Hilary Rosen should apologize to Ann Romney. And then Mitt Romney should apologize to 99% of the American people.

Romney introduced his wife into the discussion. If he does that, as you put it, all bets are off. If candidates want their families left (mostly) alone, candidates have to leave their families out of the discussion in this way. Romney wasn't saying, as all the politicians do, "My wife is a big support" or "My wife knows me well and she'll tell you I'll be good at this job." Instead he introduced her name into the discussion regarding economics -- and unless she's a trained economist or is willing to unveil the family's personal budgeting, etc., he should not have brought her into the public eye in that context. His comment made it fair game for others to comment on her; she is a public figure now, and he made her so.

I find humor in this whole thing. Why?

Because it was Obama who started the "war on women" when he demanded Churches provide birth control and abortions in their health care packages...when it backfired...they blamed it on Republicans and many Americans have such short memories, they believe it.

Romney should not have brought his wife into this discussion/debate. Rosen made some stupid remarks. What's new? Politicians do it all the time.

Romney needs to focus on and tell the American people what he plans to do if elected President and keep his family out of it. Rosen needs to apologize for making stupid comments.

I could mention Obama's stupid comments and how out of touch he is. I could point out like Mommy B did that the Obama's were spending more than they earned before he was President as well.

And also mention who he considers friends (Ayers - a known terrorist). But it doesn't matter does it? Too many Americans will vote party lines and not really look into the candidates and accept what the main stream media tells them.

Rosen and other jealous moms who either don't want to stay at home, aren't cut out for it, or can't afford to stay at home needs to learn the golden rule to back off ANY stay at home mom. ...and as if Mrs. Romney must know nothing of economics... yeah, because when you are a stay at home mom you don't use money or care about money or don't have to think about money. (I'm not saying working moms are jealous, I'm saying that the ones that belittle SAHMs are)

The Romneys obviously know a LOT about money and how to make it and how to manage it. The Obamas were over-spending and majorly going into debt right before he became president. INTERESTING!!!! HAHAHA. Hmmmm, right?

Totally much rather have a president that has showed evidence of knowing how to make a lot of money and handle it well. I'm "poor", but that doesn't mean I want a poor or not wealthy president! Seriously, our country needs an entirely new budget. Lets get someone in there that handles money well, it will help everyone out.

Her apologizing? Phewy. It won't matter coming from a person that has said that in the first place, you know where her mind/heart is. It is already out there. Apologizing comes from a real conscience and change of mind... not based on what the public thinks.

And for goodness sakes, I'm a SAHM. I handle all the bills, I tell my husband what we need every month, I do the shopping, I say what we have left, and I budget all over the ____@____.com place!!!! I handle it all, and I make sacrifices based on it. I adjust what we buy based on what he brings in. I have sleepless nights having the knowledge of all it and stressing about it. Meanwhile, I'm also working hard at home raising our four kids. I know a ton about money!!!!!

Oh, and Obama's "cred": Over 92% of jobs lost since he has been in office have been women. OH, and also, The women working for the White House make 18% less than men with the same position.

Yeah. Probably "nothing" is the answer to what most of us have in common with Mrs. Romney, who drives "a couple of Cadillacs."

Who could be surprised by a statement from a man who has "connected with the little people" so very well with comments like:

"I should tell my story. I'm also unemployed."

"Corporations are people, my friend... of course they are. Everything corporations earn ultimately goes to the people. Where do you think it goes? Whose pockets? Whose pockets? People's pockets. Human beings, my friend."

"I have some great friends who are NASCAR team owners..."

"But I’ve got a lot of good friends, the owner Miami Dolphins, and the New York Jets — both owners are friends of mine."

And Mitt's "job" for the last 6 years has been running for president!

I think Mitt can do as he likes, and keep mentioning Ann as a representative of the economic needs of American women - but that doesn't make it smart. Nothing new for him.

...And that is precisely the point that Rosen was making. Her verbiage might have been off--I'm sure that she wasn't saying that raising children was not real and hard work--but he wasn't mentioning his wife in a reference to hard work. He was making an "economic reference" that does not apply directly to his wife. Rosen was addressing that alone. It implies nothing bad about her staying home with her children. Whatever struggles Romeny's wife has endured are irrelevant to this particular case and should not be applied. ("My wife drives a couple of Cadillacs." Really, Mitt?)

Oh, I didn't answer your question--sorry. Nope, Rosen should not apologize. She should ignore it and move forward. She responded to something that he said, invalidated his point. Romney's wife should stand down; this was not an attack.

1 / 3