Should Both Parents Carry Insurance for Kids??

Hello Mamas,

I recently started a new job; therefore, I will have the ability to sign up for insurance benefits. My kids already have insurance threw my husband's employer. My question is should I sign them up under my insurance plan also? I thought it would make sense to have two insurances for my kids. However, I've heard stories about conflicts with two insurances and some have also said that it really doesn't save money to have two insurances. Can anyone offer any advice? Also, it must be noted that one of my sons is disabled and needs a little extra medical attention (neurologist, oral surgery, braces for legs, pt, ot, st, etc...)

TIA!!

Thanks to all who gave such great advice! Here's the final update. I took everyone's opinion into consideration and realized it was beneficial for me to put my whole family on my insurance plan due to less cost and better benefits. If my employment is terminated I can then go back on my husband's insurance because loss of job is a life change; therefore, I can make mid-year changes. Same goes for cancelling his insurance. Since, I have a new job we can cancel insurance in the middle of the year. Thanks, again!!

Unless you have children with health issues you might end up paying more in premiums than you would just picking the best carrier and going with it.

I just wanted to add my 2 cents! :) If you or your husband loses his job, you will be able to add on to the other's coverage immediately - it is considered a life changing experience that is unavoidable and the insurance company will recognize that. they will simply need the proper information to verify that. (my stepson had this happened when his stepfather lost his job - we added him on immediately to our plan) I would say the big decision maker is the cost - if you have to pay for it, i would REALLY compare the plans. We now have my stepson double covered - only b/c his mother insists on it. Keep in mind, the primary insurance is the parent whose birthday comes first in the year. so be sure whichever parent has the birthday first has the best coverage - ie. January would be first, over a november bday...regardless of the year. We haven't found much of a benefit to have my stepson double covered b/c my husband's plan is so much better than his ex-wifes. Good luck!

No, it doesn't pay - all it did for me was create a battle between the insurances as to who was "primary" and a bunch of doctors wanting me to pay the whole thing out of pocket until the insurance company got it straightened out.

generally no. If you have 2 insurances each will fight wanting the other to be the primary insurance and pay the bulk of the medical bills. The thing to do is thoroughly investigate the 2 insurances as to what exactly they cover, then go with the one that provides the best coverage for your son's medical needs.

C. T RN

We just started having two insuracnes and it has saved us money. The easiest way in terms of billing is if the MDs office will file both. (Not all do). If they do it is great. You don't have to worry about filing twice. One insurance is the primary, the other is the secondary and that it decided by certains rules governing 2 insurance coverages.
Whether it will save you money depends on how much you have to pay for coverage. We are lucky for the fact that my insurance coverage comes with no premiums. My husbands has a small one, but it the coverage is better than mine, so we kept both.

I would see who's insurance plan is better and has better deductables, co-pays and so on and just go with that plan. :)

If you are lucky enough to get 2 ins. for your kids , I would do it. It might be a good idea to have extra coverage for your son.(Just in case one company says that they won't cover something that your son needs . ) Or I've heard of if one company will only pay a portion leaving you to pay the rest then file a claim( of the unpaid part with the 2nd ins. company,). If ya'll have ins. with 2 different companies than you might have better coverage for choosing Drs.and prescription plans.

Hi, I work at the hospital in the insurance department. Everyone who has responded has given you their truth but I will put my cents in too. If you are having to pay premiums on both insurances you need to weigh out your odds, consider pre existing, exclusions, if the two insurances work well together because some insurances don't and some work really well together picking up what the other didn't the ones that don't work well together argue about who is primary and or they are not going to pay the other insurance needs to pay. The best thing to do is speak with your insurance coordinator
at your job and your husbands, if you speak to the insurance companies its best to speak to someone in claims rather than someone from benefits because the reps from eligibility and benefits alot of times are like receptionists that are only trained to read what they pull up on the screen. Trust me there is so many times I want to tell patients of mine that they are wasting there money. I've even saw where there are no premiums being charged from neither insurance and it not be worth it because the insurance companies argue but like I've said sometimes they work together beautifully.

1 / 3