Shopping - Utica,MI

I am curious to know. We are tight on a budget and we usually don't have much left after bills and grocery shopping each week. So has anyone compaired between Kroger and Walmart? If so what was the results? Whos cheaper? Thank You

I usually shop the ads and sometimes end up at 2 to 3 different stores at to get what I need. I save a lot that way and the drive time between the stores doesn't add any more to my cost. The truth is some stores are cheaper on some things and more on others, this is true of all of them actually. When i shop at just one place it is usually about the same in the long run as if I had gone to the other one. Hope this helps

If you're just shopping without watching sales and using coupons, Walmart is cheaper. If you track sales and match with coupons, Kroger is the better choice. I do my shopping at Kroger. I used to hate that my husband always wanted to shop there because they are so much more expensive. But once I started couponing, Kroger has been the clear choice.

keep in mind that Walmart will price match an ad, so if your kroger is having a sale on something, bring the ad in and you can get the same thing at that price at Walmart. It saves on gas and makes it easier to shop in one spot.

Funny, I have found for the things that I buy, Kroger is cheaper. I like to buy Kroger brand . But I live in Kroger country (Texas), so maybe it makes a difference. I found that while Wal-mart seems cheaper, if you check quantity and sometimes quality, Kroger is always better. Our Wal-marts around here, the produce is very poor, as goes bad even faster.

I shop at Kroger for most things. They double and triple coupons so if you use coupons, it comes out way cheaper. Kroger has better produce and meat selection and quality and is always having their "buy 10" sales and you can save even more!

It sort of depends on what I'm shopping for. I won't buy produce or meat at WalMart. The quality is far better at Kroger, but I usually buy it from our local grocery since they cut all their meat there. WalMart is good for things like paper products, toiletries, and breakfast items. In my personal opinion, Kroger brand food is much better than WalMart brand food and usually about the same price. Our WalMart won't double coupons and our Kroger does up to $.50. They used to triple and double, but they don't anymore. WalMart will price match, but it has to be the EXACT same item. I've found that different WalMarts have different prices too. Make a list of your basic items. One week go to Kroger and write down the prices. The next week go to WalMart and write down the prices there. That will give you sort of an idea.
I also find that I spend less at Kroger because I just get my groceries. If I go to WalMart we wind up with an outfit for the kids (they're always on clearance) a toy (on clearance) and just other junk in general. For me, it makes sticking to a budget really hard.

Hi K.---Living in Michigan, I think Meijer has a better selection with the best prices. Shopping at Walmart is more of an ethics thing for me. I don't like their buying practices.

Having said that, as others have shared, I usually go to different stores for different things. Prices differ at even different Kroger stores. Selections are different as well. Take a little notebook with you, or make a list from your receipt and then take that with you for comparison each time you shop. You do have to take some time to check out unit prices as well. It's not always more economical to buy larger containers. And, be watchful of price increases. They do change and you might have to start purchasing certain items at a different store.

Lastly, be sure that you are not buying unhealthful food just because it's the cheapest. You diet is the single biggest investment in your health. If you trade dollars for health, you will realize that lack of investment as you age by increased risk of degenerative diseases. Even now, if you have allergies or get bad colds or flu, that is you immune system responding to a need for an optimal diet. Purchasing healthy food doesn't have to be expensive, it's actually more a matter of avoiding unhealthy food. Shop the perimeter of the grocery store. The fewer ingredients on a package, the better. If you can't pronounce it, don't get it. Do not get foods that have HFCS, MSG (goes by lots of different names-manufacturers hide it), artificial sweeteners or colors and all preservatives.

On a side note, K., would you be interested in attending a health education workshop next Tuesday, Sept 21 in Troy? If interested, let me know and I can send you a flyer. I would be happy to bring you a shopping list with healthy basics on it. Good luck with your best price exploration. Take care, D.

I shop at both stores. I go to Walmart for my core items, basics and toiletries. They have good generic brands but always look at the labels - sometimes they are filled with sugars and have fructose corn syrup where the name brand will not. I go to Kroger for the items that are not carried at Walmart and for produce and meat. Make sure you have a Kroger Plus card, that is where the savings come from at Kroger. Look thru their circular, they always have a good sales too.

Walmart in general is cheaper for most food items. What I do is look at the sales circular and write down the prices of things I need that are on sale and then go to Walmart. While I am there, I compare. If Walmart is cheaper than the sale item, I buy it. If not (and it is still worth the gas to go across town) I will make a pit stop on the way home.

1 / 3