Shih Tzu Asthma

My shih tzu has been having what appears to be an asthma attack. She makes a continuos snorting or hacking sound. Once the attack is over she seems to be o.k., but it is very scary during the attack, I don't know what to do for her? Any other Shih tzu owners have this happen to their dog? What do they do for it?

I googled reverse sneeze and that is exactly what it appears to be. I will let the vet know anyway. Thanks for your answers!

Sounds like reverse sneezing - my pugs do it once in a while, especially if they get excited about something, but sometimes just out of the blue. There really isn't anything to do for it, but you don't have to do anything either - they are really not in any danger (though it might a little uncomfortable for them) and it stops all on it's own. Sometimes just petting my dogs and getting them to calm down helps.

Mine does that all the time. He's never seemed distressed by it.

It sounds like a reverse sneeze. You can search for it on you tube, to see if it's similar. If its that, it sounds alot worse than it actually is, usually nothing to worry about...just rub throat while she is doing it, sometimes it helps. However, little dogs are prone to other cardiac/respiratory issues so take her to your vet to make sure it's not a collapsing trachea, heart disease or other serious issue. Dogs usually do not get asthma.

1 / 3