Shaving Legs/ Plucking Eyebrows

I have an 11 year old daughter who wants to pluck her eyebrows and i think need to shave her legs

If she is very hairy, then yes, she should shave her legs. As for the eyebrows... that's a tough one. Since it's not terribly expensive to wax eyebrows, why not take her to a good brow person and have them shaped? And then she can pluck them as needed from there. I'd just warn her on the dangers of over-plucking - better to go a little more toward the Brooke Shields look than to have to draw on her eyebrows, right?!

My daughter Nairs her legs...ITs a kit wiht a cool sponge-type things that just rubs the hair off. She only has to maintain her legs every week or so. As far as her eyebrows, I actually use a shaping razor. They come 3 - 5 ina pack and have along handles. She doenst feel it at all, which is a plus for her! We just shape and trim as needed. She is 11 but started a few months ago, as it was apparent it was time! Good luck...

Dear C.,

I don't know when the right age to pluck eyebrows or shave legs really is, but I have a 14 year old that has done neither of those things.

She does want to wear make up. However, she doesn't take care of her acne on her face on a daily basis, and until she does, she's not wearing any make up except lip gloss.

Hi C.

I don't think it's such a big deal about her shaving her legs BUT I don't think women in general should pluck their brows too much (especially when younger) since there is a chance they may not grow back.. If she has a unibrow, then perhaps plucking those hairs in the middle, but otherwise, I wouldn't let her do it too much. As women get older, I think really thin (over-plucked) brows make a person look older...not to mention as your daughter gets older her taste may change, she may want think brows now, but later on... she may want them a little fuller and it could turn out she can't because she over-plucked when young... hold off if you can... that's my advice...... and to this day. my sister who overplucked , well let's just say it ain't a pretty sight...

I think it's okay to let her get started. However, I would also impress on her the maintenance required on a daily basis. It's not as glamorous as she thinks:) I teach 5th grade and image is very important at this age. She may be getting pressure from friends or even boys. It's embarrassing for the girls to be the only one with hairy legs and eybrows. If she's asking...there's a reason.

Hi C., I also have an 11 y/o daughter that just recently started to shave her legs. So far, she's done it like 3 times when she spends the week with me. I bought her Veet and it comes with a little thing that has the same shape of a razor but its plastic. Up to now she likes shaving her legs. I kept putting it off to let her do it cause I also thought she was too young but I asked the moms on this site and got some really good feedback. Like there are other bigger battles to argue over than that of shaving legs and that I should be glad she is asking for permission and not doing it behind my back, etc. About her eyebrows, if they are really hairy then you should take her to a professional unless you know how to do it then you can do it yourself. But if she's getting teased about her eyebrows then yes definitely go for it. Just be glad she is asking for your permission and not doing it behind your back. Well, good luck on this one of many adventures with your girl. I had fun showing my girl how to shave. Take care.

The way I see it is this... If your seeing her legs and she is quite hairy then you may want to have her shave her legs. (With supervision and guidance from you) Especially if she is truly aware of her body in that way. Is her hair dark or light? That maybe your next question to ask yourself. As for her eye brows, unless she has a uni brow then I would have her wait at least until she is 15. I hope this helps.

This is so hard! She's still your baby!

At her age, my mom wouldn't let me shave my legs either, and I was supposed to wait until I was 15, too :O) After becoming a parent, it really does sound like the a good age for it, BUT..... it's not. Girls bodies are developing at this age, and that includes getting hairy legs.

I would teach her how to shave them properly :o) You want her to keep coming to you first, so after further-thought, let her :O)

At her age, I went behind my mom's back and shaved my legs. My mom was moritifed! So was I! I had never done anything without my mom knowing before. The weather is turning and it's almost time for shorts, so it's on her mind more than ever.

Now the eyebrows..................for whatever reason, I feel TOTALLY against the eyebrow plucking. I also have brows that need constant "attention" since her age, but it's just a whole different responsibility, and it's on her face, so it will need constant attention!

I think 15 is a good age for plucking :O) That's when make up starts, and it all goes together.

You will be a wonderful mom if you say "yes" to shaving her legs :O)

~N.

I think it's totally appropriate to let her shave her legs now. In fact, I'm just about to do a little lesson on body care and self esteem to the 10-12 year old girls at our church. I started shaving my own legs (without permission...oh boy was that earth shattering for my mom! But I think that's a good time to start. Girls can really get hairy legs very early on, and it affects their self-esteem if they see themselves as almost neanderthol looking compared to other girls. I'm with the other ladies on the eyebrow plucking. Would you believe I'm 40 now and just started plucking my eyebrows a couple of years ago. I just never felt the need. BUT as gravity has taken it's toll, my eyebrows began to look like they were on my eyelids and it was time to do something! You might just want to make sure she understands once she starts doing these things, she'll never be able to stop for the rest of her life. I think eyebrow plucking should be reserved for unibrows (which are a real blow to their self image). There's no reason to push them into adulthood any faster than you absolutely have to. Let them be girls as long as you can. It's time you'll never get back. God bless!

Dear C.,
I waited way too long with my oldest daughter. It took 3 times to get her shaved the first time because she was so hairy. Don't wait. Plucking, well once she tries it, she may decide to wait, since it hurts.
Stac

1 / 3