Shaving Legs

My 10 yr old is getting self conscience about her hairy legs. I think she's too young to shave, but she's really bothered by her hair.. when do you let them shave?? She already wears deodorant , puberty started not long ago... but I really think she's too young yet..

Hi W. -
My mom bought me my first electric razor at 1o years old because I kept stealing her razors. Electric is a good way to start because it's a lot safer than a razor blade and if you don't give her an option she will get rid of the hair on her own (and probably with a lot of cuts!) Hope this helps!
Lots of Luck, T.

Hi W.,

My daughter is 11, and really has NOT started puberty. But, it seems "all" the girls her age are shaving their legs. I felt she was too young also. At any rate, I bought her an electric razor at Target & she is now delighted. No harm done & everyone is happy!

Hi W. - If she is already going through puberty and wearing deodorant, let her shave every few days. It sounds like she really needs to. I am speaking as a 5th grade grade teacher AND a woman who went through puberty at age 10 myself! It can wreak havoc on her self-esteem if she is self-conscious about being "different" or more advanced than the other girls, and can't so anything to make it a little better, like shaving to remove some of the hair. Just teach her how to do it gently and let her shave just a couple of times a week, or whenever she has time. Don't make a big deal out of it, just let her be educated and come to terms with what works for her.

I have dark hair and I'm half Armenian, so I was blessed with the hairy gene, and as a young girl it was really hard for me to feel okay with going through puberty early. My mother always helped me try to use strategies that would help, like shaving or making sure I had clothes that fit my body, not just what was in style at the time. Once all the other girls caught up, it got much better, and today I'm very athletic and happy with the way I look. Anyway, I see the social dynamics that go on with 10-year olds and I think it's important for your daughter to feel good about herself but also do what's best for HER, even if 10 seems young to you. I agree, it is young, but know that so many girls go through puberty at that age. You should see the range of shapes and sizes in my class any given year, boys and girls alike! Good luck and don't worry - it will work out okay for both of you!!

My daughter was 9 when I allowed her to start shaving. I too felt she was too young. Not only was she bothered by it, but she was also being teased at school. I decided to allow her to shave because I felt it was important to her self esteme. To me it was such a small thing to help her feel good about herself. I would much rather teach her how than have her try herself and maybe hurt herself.

You said it all when you said she's self conscience of her hairy legs. I know how hard it is to see them grow up so young. My goddaughter had her period at 9, and was extremely self conscience about everything that came along with it.Her Mom followed the child's lead and when she felt the need to shave she taught her. While parenting is not always smooth sailing, the bond between them grew from the confidence that the child had because of the mom allowing the child to shave. And your daughter will have confidence in being able to talk to you if something is bothering her. Think of how you would feel if your legs were that hairy right now. Allow that to guide you in your decision and good luck.

I am 23 but I remember FEELING this way and I would just have a mom and daughter's pampering night... because I shaved behind my mom's back because I was afraid she would be mad at me. If you did it together, it would be a little bonding thing and you could show her the "right way" to do it so that she doesn't cut herself. I used to cut myself all the time, because I didn't do it the right way. You guys should get some little masks, and popcorn and make a night of it! Good Luck and let us know what you did!

When it was time for my daughter to begin shaving, I bought her an electric razor. (No nicks or cuts!)

If she is feeling self conscious...depending on how fair-skinned / dark haired she is...let that decide--not a specific number.

let her shave. I purchased a electric shaver for my daughter a couple years ago for safety reasons we started with that now she is 13 and uses a razor and shaving cream. kids are very self conscience at that age make her feel comfortable with the changes.... mother of 13 11 8 adn 14mths K.

I agree with those who suggested to make it a bonding experience and fun to teach her. My mom wasn't approachable on this kind of thing. So, I did my own legs at this age (and my arms too!!) using her razor. I got a giant cut when I unthinkingly tried to "wipe" the hair out of the razor with my bare finger. Ouch. Your understanding her concerns and teaching her the right way to take care of herself will mean a lot and help to keep those channels of communication open.

My youngest daughter was 10 when she started her period. She was the 2nd girl in her her to "mature". I knew then it was time for her to shave her legs. There are many different products out there to assist her. I have an older daugher who was 16 at the time so she assisted Brittani with shaving etc. Brittani is now nearly 15 and I do not regret her starting to shave her legs when she was young. Kids can be cruel. I wish my mom would of been more supportive when I started to mature.

1 / 3