Sharp Abdominal Pregnancy Pains at Night in 6Th Week

I have a sharp and persistant pain on the inside of my left hip bone and under my right rib cage when I lay down to sleep at night. When I sit up, the pain begins to go away. The pain started two days ago in the evening, carried on through the night which kept me from sleeping, then stopped in the morning. Then the next night upon lying down it started again, and was off and on all night in pretty much any lying position I got in. It also felt like my right lower rib cage was bruised the first morning and my left rib cage was bruised the second morning.

I'm not spotting and have told my nurse. She said as long as it doesn't get worse and I'm not spotting that it's probably normal early pregnancy cramps. I've had two kids already and don't really remember having this problem early on with them. It could be that my body already knows the routine of adjusting for the baby so it's a bit early making those adjustments. But if anyone has had this problem before, let me know.

With my first pregnancy the hip bone pain was one of my first symptoms. Before I actually knew I was pregnant I thought I must've pulled a muscle! The doctor thought it was probably my sciatic nerve and said not a whole lot can be done. He just mentioned trying different positions until something worked. I never had any sharp rib cage pain, just a dull ache as my uterus grew upwards and my ribs started spreading to make room. Maybe since this is your 3rd child your ribs know the routine and are getting a head start on the big spread, like you suggested.

It seems like I remember this happening early in my last pregnancy and was told it was my growing uterus. It didn't last very long and seemed to be when I moved in certain positions. Keep talking to your doctor just in case it is something more serious.

I think this is called round ligament pain. I remember having pains like this with both of my pregnancies. My doctor told me that it was just the ligaments stretching and making room for the baby.

I am only about 5-6 weeks pregnant. I haven't even been to see my doc yet. But I noticed the cramping pain right away. Of course I thought it was PMS cramps before I did 3 tests. I have a 10 1/2 year old son and I did have some early cramping with him but I do not remember it lasting this long or this severe. And my cramps seem to come more frequently in the evening hours and wake me in the night as well.
Also, what can you do about them? Tylenol does not work on cramps for me. Can I use a heating pad?

Well it would def. not be your round ligaments this early in your pregnancy. I would consult your doctor for sure.

1 / 3