Sex Offender, Sex Predator, How Safe Is a Neighborhood

we are in the process of making a deal on a house. After calling the sherriffs dept., and looking online, i have found there is a young 20 yr old guy 25 ft from the house who is a sex offender. I have searched for WHAT he did to determine how upset i should be and IF i should back out of this house deal because of what i found. The sherriffs dept. did not help at all, they told me to go the the same website i had already been looking at. blah! Also, in 0.6 miles from me there is a sex predator that it says has a temporary house, again....it dont say WHAT he did. I want ALL THE DETAILS. And there is another sex offender the same distance around. The city has 32 that are registered.
I guess i would like what you think about it....do you have any living in your neighborhood. Will i live in constant fear if we buy this house in this neigborhood (its actually a very nice and well kept area, would not think any bad happens there, but who knows)
thanks for anyone that can just honestly help me on this issue

They are everywhere! I live in a pretty good area, but we still have a lot of them. You could be living next door to someone that just hasn't been caught yet..scary thought, I know, so don't let that stop you from buying a house.That watch dog website might give you a little more detail. One of my neighbors was a teacher that was having a relationship with a 16 year old student and it says under his name on that website (relationship) next to the offense. The lingo they have is very confusing, they should really give out more information then they do. Maybe try to google some of the sex offenders names to see if you can get more information about the crimes.

Its not the ones who are registered that I would worry about...its all the ones who haven't been caught yet. At least you know to keep an eye on the ones who are registered.

Sex offenders are everywhere, most every city has around 10 if you don't want one around you you have to live somewhere where the closest house or apt is miles and miles away. I wouldn't be worried about the registered ones. I would be worried about the ones running around that we don't know about or have not cought! And well there is no way to tell if your neighborhood has them. Just because there are a bunch of registered ones doesn't mean there are many running around loose!

sadly, we too have MANY in our nearby neighborhood and worse, they are close to schools/park. which as I understand it, they are NOT suppose to be......

now, I don't live in fear perse, but I am CAUTIOUS..... thing is.. bad things can happen anywhere and in seemingly good neighborhood. for all the sex offenders that are listed, think of how many are not.. not to scare you, but rather to help you make more sense of the craziness that goes on in our society. also, a sex predator can be your close neighbor, car attendant, bus driver.. etc etc..
I used to lived in the Bay Area suburbs and guess who was the molester there.............. my foster father... you'd think someone like that would know better. instead, social services was just bringing him fresh meat.. now that guy was NEVER registered but should be.. point is ... be weary... keep on your toes.. try your best to teach your kids about staying away from strangers and good touch, bad touch type of things... I am VERY open my with child about "weirdos" and have told him point blank.. if anyone every touches you, LET ME KNOW.. I tell him ,not to scare him, but I NEED to know what goes on and I guess I just feel honestly is the best of dealing with that.

I wish you the best

They are everywhere. You can't really escape them. It's good that you know that they are right there, but you can't let them rule your life.
I have found a lot of the times when the predator is a young one it's because they were dating and having sex with their minor gf. This isn't always the case, of course.
In my own life it turns out there was a sex offender at my work who also lived 1/2 a mile away. There were always the owners kids around and he kept to himself. I second the other post that said that you need to worry about the unregistered ones.
Don't let them rule where you live. Make sure you keep an eye on your children and live your life.

http://www.life360.com/sex-offenders is another site that has pictures of the offenders. I found that more helpful.

Good luck finding a community with zero offenders. They are registered. That's enough info for you to go on. These people DO have some confidentiality rights, after all. They need to register every year, I believe, so the info is current. Read: Bad, Keep away, etc.
The "exact" crime doesn't really matter does it, in the grand scheme of safety and vigilance?

And FYI--sexual offenders don't just prey and live in "bad" areas. This crime cuts across all racial, economic and societal lines. Don't fool yourself!

There are only 32 in your whole city? Consider yourself lucky. I live in a big metropolitan area & there are definitely more than that.

The truth of the matter is that predators are all around - at least the registry allows you to know who the really bad ones are. Personally, I'm more worried about the ones who are operating under the radar.

I wouldn't let it stop me from buying a house I loved, personally. Especially because it will probably be hard to find a home without a sex offender at least in the vicinity.

We have none registered in our area as far as I know (and according to registries) so there are areas where there aren't any "known" offenders, but keep in mind, in order to get registered, these people have to have been "caught" offending many times.

With that said, there are no guarantees that any neighborhood is safe. You could have a freak next door right now, or the next time you have a repair guy stop by to fix something, invite one right into your home.

This isn't to say offender registries aren't important or helpful. They are very important and helpful! It is far better to know who is living near you and your children than not, and the registry can lessen the chances that someone in your neighborhood will be victimized because everyone will know he is there. Hopefully she/he'll think twice too. But once again, there are no guarantees. Registries are just a help to keep you aware and informed. And police will know where to look if anything does happen like a child goes missing or someone is attacked.

You may be able to find out what these guys did if you go to your local Bureau of Criminal Apprehension. I'm not sure if that's what all states call it, but generally, all criminal records are public information. If you have these guys full name, date of birth, you should be able to go to the state data base, or at the very least your county courthouse and run a background check on these guys and get the full run-down.

Another place to look is metro and neighborhood news paper archives. While their crimes may not have occured in your state/area, you might still find something from when it was announced to the neighborhood the offender was moving in. Usually, residents are informed when an offender will be moving in and sometimes there will be neighborhood meetings or hearings. That information should be on record somewhere also. City Hall might be a good place to check. At the very least, the local neighborhood association will definitely know everything. If you can find the contact for that, you'll probably get all you need to know from them. The community news paper is probably a good way to get the neighborhood association's phone numbers.

Lastly, is it a good idea to buy a home in a neighborhood where there is a listed offender? JMO, I'd say no way! Not only are you being warned someone known to be unsafe and untrustworthy will be living next to you and you have the spend the rest of your days on hyper-vigilence. Will you ever feel comfortable sitting in your yard, or letting your child ride their bike or walk to a friends house? Who needs that stress? Furthermore, offenders are often clustered in areas where the housing is affordable, but then you have to ask why is it more affordable? Why are they clustered there? Is it because of a high crime rate, because of a lack of neighborhood involvement, etc? I think it can you alot about where you're moving.

If you look at state registries, you'll see the patterns. They're not supposed to do that, but that seems to be what happens. Besides safety, I'd be considering house value/devaluation if I ever wanted or needed to move, what this says about the neighborhood culture in general, etc.

I hate to generalize, but unfortunately, this sort of thing can definitely affect the culture of a neighborhood. Especially if the community isn't a strong one that sticks together. Do more research or look elsewhere I say.

To be honest, I think if you always exercise caution and stress safety to your kids, that's the best protection. As for buying a house there, if you could live elsewhere, it would probably be better...but for other obvious reasons.

Just some food for thought.

1 / 3