Severe Tailbone Pain During Pregnancy

Did anyone else experience this? It is KILLING me. I am 5 months along, it started a couple of weeks ago, and hurts SO much. My first pregnancy my pubic bone dislocated from too much of the hormone relaxin, and now it seems it is happening again, but instead of the pain being in the front, it is in the back. UGH!
All the muscles around it are spasming too. I am hobbling around. I have 20 weeks to go. There has GOT to be an easier way. Help!
Any advice?

Sorry you're having such a painful pregnancy. I had major lower back pain with my second baby. I went to a chiropractor who helped me a ton! Good luck - I hope you get some relief.

Have your physician refer you to both a chiropractor and, then, a massage therapist, making sure both have experience in dealing with pregnancy-related issues. Your problem could be related to the pregnancy itselt ( enlarged uterus pressing on something) or just to the added weight. Hopefully your insurance will cover it if you are in this much agony. The massage won't hold if you are out of alignment, and the chiropractic won't necessarily relieve the muscle spasms if there is damage that needs to be released. The massage therapist will be able to determine if you need deep tissue muscle work, fascial release, etc.

Good luck - you are right, you cannot go on like this!

I'd say go to a chiropractor. I went to one who specialized in prenatal and children's chiropractic during my second pregnancy and it made such a difference. I had tailbone issues after giving birth and again my chiro helped it.

2 suggestions - a pelvic belt to help support everything, and inserts for your shoes. Both are to give you cushioning/support so there is less impact with all your daily activities/movements. Also, there are some exercises that you can do, but I don't know how much those will help (I'd try Googling "pregnancy exercises"). I had issues as well, more at my pubic symphysis, but it's all connected! I'm a physical therapist, and I did all 3 of these things. They helped but did not completely alleviate the problem. Ah, what we go through to have our babies! Good luck.

I had this through both my pregnancies and found that massage, acupuncture & chiropractic care helped relieve the pain.

Hope you find some relief

i had something going on with one of the disks right by my tailbone when i was pregnant with my last one, inflamed whatever, it was awful. i had sciatica too, but this was different, i was hobbling around like you said, couldnt straighten up, and i was terrified of how on earth i was gonna get through labor. the chiropractor helped me tremendously, massage/adjusting and that ultrasound thing he did, i was going a few times a week and it really worked. try it, and good luck...

Physical therapy can usually help with that sort of thing. It sounds like an SI issue where your pelvic bones are moving too much around your tailbone (because of the extra relaxin). There are exercises a therapist can teach you to help stabilize the area and you may benefit from an SI belt (a physical therapist can also help get you one of these). Most PT clinics have prenatal specialists or even Women's Health specialists. Just tell them the issues you're having (and obviously that you're pregnant) and they should get you set up with the right person. Good luck.

Make sure you are wearing proper shoes and not flip flops. I had horrible backpain during my 2nd pregnancy due to flip flops.

1 / 3