Severe Sciatica...

Hello Everyone

I had sciatica when I was pregnant with my boys, and I have it now again, although I'm not pregnant. I am in such excruciating pain that I went to Urgent Care last Friday, where I was prescribed with Vicodin to keep the pain to a bearable level. It's affecting me so much that I can't keep up with the kids, the housework, etc. I go to the dr. today, but I'm obsessing over what could be causing this, and how I get rid of this horrendous pain as SOON as possible! It started out with my left side, and now my right side is bothering me too. The pain is brought on by bending, walking, etc. My lovely mother in law just HAD to comment that she gets sciatica from time to time, and that I need to "grow some balls and get used to it." My husband informed HER that I've been sobbing everyday for the last week because this pain is so bad :-(

I saw my fam. dr yesterday, who put me on steroids in addition to the Vicoprofen. Also - PT exercises. I felt better for about 15 minutes after PT last night, then it was back. If the pain isn't gone by the time the steroids are gone, I have to get imaging done to see if there are spinal/disc issues...thank you SO much for your help and support!!!

Perhaps trying talking to a yoga or pilates instructor. When I did yoga, I remember that I could reduce the stress on the nerve causing the pain.

You might try massage therapy, chiropractics and/or physical therapy, assuming other medical conditions are ruled out.

My heart goes out to you! I had sever sciatica with my last pregnancy, and it's extremely painful, as you know! If it's possible, I'd start seeing a chiropractor! I went to one for a few months and it helped me tremendously! I hope you find a way to feel better soon! Good luck.

See a chiropractor or osteopath for treatment and to be evaluated. Massage therapy and acupressure therapy are important. Most muscular/skeletal pain can be relieved with a combination of massage/acupressure and chiropractic. Very rarely there could be something wrong that requires surgery--but that is very rare. And pain killers do NOTHING for the problem except cover it up--if they are giving you some relief then certainly use them until you can get some help with the cause. Also, Until you can get in to someone and for in appointments get 2 tennis balls put in a sock and lie down on them on excercise mat or bed (depending on what you can handle) put the balls where it hurts under your sacrum and roll onto your side for the hips--you will probably find several very tender spots. Your MIL needs to develop some compassion--just ignore her and get some help!When talking with someone who doesn't understand the debilitating effects of pain I will ask them if they have ever had a "charlie horse" most have had at some time--intense pain in the calf that can double you over! This is a muscle spasm--a muscle spasm in the back can hurt even more and that is what is causing most pain the back area. Many people are confused as to what kind of pain they actually have--sciatic pain is a specific kind of pain and what your MIL had and what you have could be soemthing entirely different. I have been a massage therapist for almost 30 yrs and Jin Shin Do Acupressurist for almost 25 and have helped hundreds of people with all kinds of pain--about half of the clients I have helped alone and about half have needed chiropractic or physical therapy in addition. In all those years I have had only 4 clients who finally decided to get surgery after I or anyone else was not able to help--1 older man needed a hip replacement, 1 woman needed neck and 2 needed back surgery--and 2 of those had been in severe accidents.So don't panic--but you don't have to live with pain! I am not sure where in Ohio you are--I am in Indiana but I have a sister in Tipp City and if you are anywhere in that area I could find out who she goes to --she has been to several of the Chiropractors and massage therapists in that area--loves some and did not like at all others! And I have had a few students from different areas in Ohio for acupressure. Email and I will see if I can help you find someone!

I would try chiropractic. I had the same problems during pregnancy and had regular adjustments to keep it tolerable until the baby was born. I cannot say enough about the benefits of having regular adjustments. Even my daughter goes! Her first adjustment was at 5 weeks old! That and icing the area would be my best suggestions.

It's a pinched nerve called the sciatic nerve. I went to the Dr. last April and my Dr. wanted to prescribe a pain killer to hide the pain. That doesn't help the problem. I knew that if I went to a massage therapist or a chiropractor they would be able to help. Well the only massage therapist that was on my list was an hour and a half from work or two hours from home. So, I opted for a chiropractor. It was the best thing I've done. In the first week I felt the pain ease up a bit, the second week it was still there but barely, the third week it was non existent till just before the next appt. I am now up to once a month and I barely feel a twinge a day or two before my appt. Exercise helps, work out your glutes daily even if it is just one exercise a day to begin with, when there is more muscle around those nerves it's less likely the bones can pinch the nerve.

Hope something here helps, take care.

-- K.

Go see a chiropractor, he /she can adjust you and relieve the pain in no time at all. Mine gets so bad with pain that it makes me throw up what ever is in my stomach. The vicodin will only lessen the pain but not take it away.You might try Advil between the vicodin it helps with inflamation.
Ignore your Mother in laws comments she has obviously never really had to suffer enough to understand your pain.I have a very high threshold for pain and when I resort to my Vicoden most folks would have already been to the ER and Zobied out on some kind of major nacarotic.Hang in there it will get better.

I know the pain is unbearable, i've been through it, and although the pain meds help a little, i've come to find that going to the chiropractor has helped alot!!!! it's not a quick fix and won't instantly be better, so you need to keep going back for adjustments, and you might have to try a couple different chiropractors until you can find one that does the best! Good luck!

I was also suffering from sciatica recently during my pregnancy. I mentioned it to my OB/GYN and they recommended a heating pad and Motrin. He said that Motrin occasionally during pregnancy is ok and as far as the heating pad goes, don't sleep all night on it. I used it for maybe 15 minutes at a time and within about two days I was feeling much better. Be sure to check with your OB to make sure he/she does not object to you doing any of the above.

I had it during preganancy and the doc sent me to pt. The exercises and ot help were a godsend. I especially like the massages I got as well. If your insurance covers pt as the doctor for some. It was well worth the $20 copay.

There is a chiropractor in Anderson named Jack Henderson. You might try him:

DR. JACK HENDRICKS
CLEARLY CHIROPRACTIC
1228 NORDICA LN.
CINCINNATI, OHIO 45255
PHONE: ###-###-####
FAX: ###-###-####

I can't remember what type it is he uses, but it is very very gentle, nothing like you normally picture chiropractic. You might give them a call and ask what style he uses and research it online.

I personally like all of my bones to be repositioned when I go to the chiropractor. The person I use now, and all through my pregnancy is Jack Armstrong at Wholecare. http://www.wholecarechiropractic.com/ I think he is great!

You might also try acupuncture. The person I found locally is Mimi Tager, but I haven't gone in awhile. If you are interested in that, let me know and I can try and track her down for you.

Wishing you wellness. P:)

1 / 3