Severe Eczema! HELP!

My 1 1/2 year old little boy has severe eczema. It is all over his body and he scratches himself until he bleeds. The pediatrician has given me several different creams to try as well as an oral medication called Prednisalone(spelling?). Any advise would be appreciated.

my son also had eczema when he was little. the dr told me to do the hydrocortisone. but it didn't help. the only thing that i found that helped was A&D ointment. the diaper rash stuff. doesn't smell so great, but i put it on him after his bath and the signs of eczema would show a difference by morning. now he no longer has it. don't know if he just grew out of it or if it was the creme.

my son didnt have it severly.. but my pedi told me to use DOVE BODY SOAP and it cleared it up. i even used just the bar soap...nothing special. i still use it! maybe give that a try. sometimes the cheep and easy stuff are the best!

First, I would be careful with the Prednisalone! It causes horrible side affects (behavioral and emotional)!!! Have you tried Cetaphil or Eucarin (sp)? That is what I used for my son and it was wonderful!

I'm sure your dr already told you that Eczema is usually caused by an allergy to dairy, my son had eczema too and his dr told us about a reseach study that UF was doing for eczema and it used kefir and raw milk and it cleared it up. My son and all of us drink raw milk which has good probiotics and enzimes to help his body digest and the kefir does the same and my son is eczema free!! You can by raw milk (not paturized or homoginized) at BM Organics in Fort Lauderdale. It is so good for him and your entire family!

A lot of people with eczema have a food allergy to something such as dairy foods.

C.,
My heart goes out to your son and to you as a mother who wants nothing more than to see her child well. I suffered with psoriasis, although similar to exzema, they are still quite different. I found that diet plays a big part in either healing or irritaing psoriasis / exzema. I found a little book for $6.99 that helped me tremendously.

The book is called: The Bible Cure for Skin Disorders by: Don Colbert MD. Although it has some biblical teaching, it has alot of good info on treating exzema. I found the book at a Christian book Store, but I believe they have it at Wal-Mart as well.

In the back of the book he mentions a Dr. Pagano who has written on hundreds of case studies of his patients who were completely cleared up. He is a Chiropractor and being adjusted by a Chiropractor helps as well. I also ordered Dr. Pagano's book. Him and Dr. Colbert have recipes too.

Tips I found that help:
1. Drink plenty of water (minimum of 1/2 his weight in ounces per day)
2. Avoid all processed foods and sugars - starchy foods also turn to sugar such as white bread, potato chips, candy, soda, etc.
3. Eat plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables.
4. Mix 1/2 peanut oil and 1/2 olive oil as a topical. It has not stained my clothes nor keeps an odor, and helps alot. The prednisone is not good for him. It actually absorbs the skin and puts toxins in his liver. When the liver gets toxic overload, then eventually his case can become even more severe.

From what I have studied, what causes the problem has to do with toxins releasing from the body. There are 2 places they can release, either through the lungs or through the skin. The body needs cleansing to help. I have never found anything medically that has helped me, in fact the opposite has been true. I have suffered many bad side effects from medications, even the topical creams. Doing things naturally has been an answered prayer.

A good health food store can help you, but everything you need to know is in both books. I wish your son well and i will keep him in my prayers. Let me know how he is doing.
Blessings

I'm copying in an excerpt from a Pharmacy Journal. I hope this might be helpful.
Kristen, R.Ph.
Mon, Apr 27, 2009 (HealthDay News) -- Diluted bleach baths offer a safe, simple and inexpensive way of treating children with eczema, U.S. researchers report.
The skin disease, which affects 17 percent of school-aged children, can affect youngsters' appearance, sleep and their ability to concentrate in school.
Eczema-related itching can be so bad that children sometimes break the skin and get chronic skin infections that can be difficult to treat, the researchers noted.
The study, by a team at Northwestern University's Feinberg School of Medicine in Chicago, included 31 patients, aged 6 months to 17 years old, with moderate or severe eczema plus a staph infection. All the children were treated with oral antibiotics for 14 days, and they were also told to put a topical antibiotic ointment or placebo control into their nose for five sequential days of each month.
Half of the children took diluted bleach baths (half a cup of bleach per full standard tub), while the others had a placebo mixed into their bath water. The children were told to soak in the baths for five to 10 minutes at a time, two times a week.
Because the amount of bleach used was so small, the diluted bleach baths were nearly odor-free, the study noted.
Over one to three months, the children who took the diluted bleach baths had a reduction in eczema severity that was five times greater than those in the placebo group. In fact, the children taking the baths showed such rapid improvement in eczema and infection symptoms that the researchers stopped the study early, so that children in the placebo group could get the same amount of relief.
"The eczema kept getting better and better with the bleach bath, and these baths prevented it from flaring again, which is an ongoing problem for these kids," Dr. Amy S. Paller, chair of dermatology and a professor of pediatrics, said in a Northwestern University news release. "We presume the bleach has antibacterial properties and decreased the number of bacteria on the skin, which is one of the drivers of flares."
The study was published in the April 28 issue of Pediatrics.

I feel your pain. My son began getting eczema at 3 months old. We were at the dr monthly with rashes that would not go away. Finally at a year old a new dr had him tested for food allergies! He is allergic to numerous foods. At the same time, we were sent to a pediatric dermatologist who specializes in eczema. She gave us numerous levels of cream medications dependant upon the severity of his outbreak. She also contradicted the regular dermatologist and told us to bathe him DAILY and to add 1/4 cup of bleach to his full bath tub. Yes, I said bleach and she knew we thought she was crazy. This was 2 years ago. Last spring this same info (bleach in baths) came out in the journal of the Academy of Pediatrics (google bleach baths for eczema). After getting my son's food allergies under control and doing the bleach baths daily his skin is beautiful! We still have outbreaks (mostly from environmental allergies like grass), but overall the bleach baths and diet have cleared his skin up. He still takes bleach baths daily and I can actually notice a difference when we skip it.
You may notice as your son gets older pale spots on his skin and spots where hair is not growing. This is from the steroid creams you are currently using - not bleach baths. Make sure you don't use those steroid creams on his eyelids or behind his ears. We live in Florida and my son is always in the sun so I notice the spots that don't tan very well.
Good luck, and try to get your son allergy tested and to a dermatologist who specializes in pediatric eczema.

Try the California Baby line or the Aveeno Baby line. You can find them at Target.

The only thing that worked for my son's eczema around his mouth area is Mometasone Furoate Topical Solution USP, 0.1%. It's a clear liquid steroid, I believe, and it's the only thing that worked! You just put a few drips on the affected area, and repeat each day...but it goes away fast! And now I don't need to put it on my son nearly as much as in the beginning.

1 / 3