Severe Cramping with Mirena Iud After 2 Years?

I had mirena inserted after I had my son almost 2 years ago. Haven't had any problems until now. The last week I've just had incredibly bad cramping. No bleeding or anything just severe cramps. I barely even had cramps when it was inserted. I just moved to a new area and don't have a doctor set up and in order to see an ob/gyn I have to see my primary doctor and be referred to an ob. Were military lol it sucks. Anyways should I go to the er and have it checked out or should I just wait and get an ob set in the next few weeks? Anything helps ladies thanks!

Thank you everyone for your resposes, I wound up going to the er last night cuz I couldn't sleep and the cramps were getting worse. Turns out I was pregnant, despite my 3 negative pregnancy tests so everything is taken care of now. Thanks for you advice ladies as for sharing your stories with me

Try taking some pain reliever (IB Profine seems to work best for me) to see if that reduces the infamation and serverity of the cramps. Drink lots of water, cranberry juice, anything to keep you hydrated. If your cramps don't get better within the next 24-48 hours I would make an appt )with an OB/GYN as soon as you can. (well a primary dr,then the OB/GYN.
I had terrible cramping when it was first inserted, about 5 weeks of mod/light bleeing, then didnt have a pd for almost 10 mths. They are slowly coming back though, very irregular however. Still unsure how I feel about , Mierna now over a year later....

I would recommend getting to the doctor today. I also had an ectopic pregnacy with an IUD. If you do it is very serious. Good luck.

I would definitely make an appointment within the next week. If you have to see a primary first, do that, cuz I would assume going to two office visits would still be cheaper than an ER visit, but I don't know your insurance.

I had the Mirena IUD in for 4 years with no side effects whatsoever. I had a period out of the blue one spring and found out about 4 months later that the IUD was deeply imbedded in my uterine tissue. Since the bleeding was only for a few days...once...it was most likely a miscarriage. The IUD did not perforate the uterus, but was very hard to remove, my OB said. There was no bleeding or cramping, that I remembered ( other than the random period) Yor IUD could be working itself into the uterine tissue and would have to be removed. I don't know that for sure, but it seems a little odd you would have the cramping after a couple years, after no issues.

If the cramping gets worse, I would go to the ER. OR, if you start bleeding - definitely go!

Good luck!!

I agree with taking some Advil, but I would also take a pregnancy test. Last year (about this time of year), I had in the Mirena IUD and started having some cramping, as well as some other symptoms. I didn't know it at the time, but I had an ectopic pregnancy. It is rare, but can happen. I dealt with the cramping for more than a week before it got really bad. In the end, my best friend saved my life by calling an ambulance, then my husband and I were shocked to learn that I was pregnant. I thought the ER doc had my chart mixed up with someone else. They did an emergency surgery and removed one of my fallopian tubes, which we had learned had burst and my abdomen was filled with blood. Everything turned out OK, but I'm so grateful that my friend forced me into the ambulance. She literally saved my life. I was bleeding internally and would never have let my husband take me to the hospital because I don't like being the center of attention.

If I were you, I would take a pregnancy test to rule out a possible ectopic, then take some Advil until you have the chance to get into an OB. If you feel, at any point, like something is really wrong, you should go to the ER.

Good luck. I hope that this mild cramping just ends up being mild cramping that is really nothing.

Call your primary and tell them it is urgent. They should be able to send you to the gyn without delay. If not, then go to the ER. Do not wait. It could be an infection.

1 / 3