Seven Year Old Girl Wih Hair on Her Legs

Hi Moms!!

I am concerned that my seven year old now has hair on her legs but also her breast seem to be developing. I have had her on soy ( She is allergic to milk and has been since a baby). Just this past summer on friend mention soy has such a high amount of female hormones that is accerlates purberty. I have looked in many books and did find one that mention early purbery could hit around 8 – but most books don’t cover it. I have not talk to her doctor because she in the room with me but will try to next time.

I am just looking for moms with older girls that can tell me is this normal – I am freaking out alittle and now trying to wean her off of Soy. I am also extremely upset at my old doctor for not making mention of this.

Thanks any insight would be helpful.

I know from myself that it may or may not have anything to do with the soy. I got my period when I was 7, needed a bra in third grade at 8. I have never had soy in my life! While I certainly was the first and wasn't exactly "normal", it does happen.

Totally normal!

I was a very early bloomer (closer to 8 than 7) and I cannot remember my legs not having hair on them! I did develop very early and I remember having little spats with my mom because she would not let me shave my legs or underarms. Finally at around age 10, I just grabbed a razor and have been shaving ever since. My mom was not thrilled, but it made me feel better. I felt very uncomfortable wearing shorts or skirts around my friends when their legs were hairless and mine were not. It was bad enough that I was a head taller than everyone (including the boys) and felt out of place. Shaving my legs made me feel that much more "normal." I also was one of the very first girls to wear a bra and I got my period when I was 10. Some just develop quicker than others. I know it may be worrisome for you, but I believe it is completely normal. Oh, and I was brought up on cow's milk.

I have not heard that Soy does this but I will ask my friend who's children are on it and get back to you soon.

For some reason girls are developing earlier than when we were their age. I don't think it is the soy, it is more likely all the growth hormones in the meat and milk we buy. Unless you grow your own beef, have free range chicken, have a dairy for milk and grow your own veggies your daughter is getting some kind of hormones in what she eats. It is just a fact that is hard to avoid. I do not have a girl but my sister has 2 girls and she said it is not uncommon for girls to have their period by age 8 or 9. That just blows my mind!! It might be time to try and sit down with your daughter and talk to her about he changes and what is to come.

I have a 8 year old daughter who is also going through the same thing for about a year. Noticed hair down below when I walked in the bathroom and freaked out myself. She has NEVER had any soy products, so I am doubtful that is the underlying cause. My friend in North Carolina's daughter has also started developing extremely early as well. Although this is very upseting, it is normal these days and from what I am told there are books at the book stores for young readers on changes that may occur - eventually occur. This may be helpful for you and your daughter to start talking about it, so she doesn't feel out of place.

Hi Maureen-first of all I would stop the soy immediately and yes your friend is right. Soy produces phytoestrogens which will lead to early development and it will causes later health complications. The ONLY way soy should ever be eaten is edemame, in its natural state. Your doctor would not know or may not even care to know because they are conventional medicine.

You can give her rice or almond milk. The good news is that you can stop her development. You can pull the toxins from her body by doing detox baths and changing a few simple things to your eating and supplement regimen.

If you want more information on how to do this--please let me know.

I will send you some simple points called the blueprint for good health that myself and a few other healers have done. it is perfect for both adults and children and your family's overall health will improve dramatically.

Detox Coach

It is called precocious puberty. Talk to your doctor

If I were in this situation, I would talk to the doc. I would tell him your observations and ask if the soy is doing it. I would ask about a FSH and LH before and after cutting back on soy would be a good idea. In children, FSH and LH are used to diagnose delayed or precocious (early) puberty.

Hi. I was very surprised when my 5-6 year old started to develop a body odor that needed attention (tried not to be too sensitive and use natural remedies, yet she was producing lots of bacteria that gave her a unique smell)then hair on private areas between 7 and 9. Not sure of a correlation with soy in the diet--my daughter is not using soy products regularly. There are many theories for this seemingly early development and it did concern me because it is definitely different from my experience. Nevertheless, my daughter and what you are suggesting is all within "normal" range. Like you stated, my research--books and drs-- states that bodies can begin to change as early as 8 or 9, there are slight differences in ethic groups, and there is no sequence of events--anything can be the first signs--breast buds, hair, hormonal changes, etc. Also, remember, puberty can last years. I am hoping my daughter has slow changes for the sake of both of us--easing into the transition would be much easier on us.

I don't think you have any reason for alarm, but confirm with your doctor or trusted resources.

Finally, I will advocate for you talking to her about what is happening to her body and the changes--not too early to talk about boys and whistles and appropriate relationships either (not in depth about relationships--just to introduce things and make her smart about what is out there. Believe me she is noticing these changes and others will too)

Good luck--hope this helps

Soy mimics estrogen in the body, so it could be playing a role. Other factors that are thought to be causing earlier puberty than in the past do include the hormones given to our food sources, but one major factor that I haven't seen mentioned here yet are fat cells. Fat is a natural producer of estrogen. With the rising obesity epidemic in our nation's children, this is playing a major role in why our kids are hitting puberty at earlier ages. If your girl is overweight, work on helping her to become trim in a gentle positive way.

1 / 3