Septic System and Tampons (Maybe TMI)...

We moved recently to the country from the city. We had sewer in the city, but now have a well and septic system. I know that certain things are not good for the septic system, such as tampons, food waste, bleach, etc. So for those of you with a septic system, do you wear tampons or pads? If you wear tampons, what do you do with the used ones? I have been putting them in a plastic bag inside the trash (and tying it put before throwing it out), but my husband is grossed out... lol I am thinking switching to pads (ugh), which are less of a mess as far as disposal goes. Sorry if this is TMI. This whole septic system thing is new to me, and I don't want an expensive back-up all in my yard!! Thanks!

Just when you think you know everything (lol)... I had no idea that you couldn't flush them with sewer! I just assumed when I saw signs in bathrooms asking not to flush feminine products, that it meant the applicators or pads. Good thing our old house had so much water pressure that it was never an issue.
There are some great ideas here. Thank you so much!! You ladies rule.

I am no longer using tampons, but when I did I would put an empty detergent bottle in the bathroom for their disposal that keeps them sealed and out of sight and makes for easier disposal.

I just used to wrap mine in more toilet paper and take the trash out a little more often.
I remember visiting my dad one year and I flushed one and it clogged the toilet, he snaked it out and much to my dismay dangled it in front of me and said "dont flush these white rats down the shi**er anymore please".. lol.

I have a sewer system , and my plumber told me not to ever flush anything but body waste and toilet paper. When my daughter changes her tampon, she puts the used one in the wrapper from the new one, and drops it in the waste basket next to the toilet.

Too bad for your husband! I don't think you should be forced to use pads because your husband is uncomfortable. And really what is the difference between a pad or tampon in the trash???

Throw them away and don't think twice about it!

I'd like to suggest the Diva Cup. I used to be a tampon user in a house full of boys. Before you get grossed out, check it out and read the reviews. It's amazing. I haven't bought a box of tampons or pads since April.

I don't sell these, and I'm not getting anything for telling you about it. It's truly the cat's meow when it comes to being on my period. I don't dread it at all, no leaks, no trash, and no worrying about what absorbency to use. Fabulous. http://www.divacup.com/

I hate pads. I use tampons, wrap them up, and put them in the trash. I try to keep it "hidden" ya know, so there just isn't a bloody tampon sitting on top of the trash.
I have sewer and I still will not flush tampons.
I always feel gross that time of the month. One time I left a tampon wrapper on the sink, not the actual tampon, just the applicator and wrapper. My husband walks up to me and says "You left your cork on the sink" I could not stop laughing. Thankfully my husband isn't grossed out by that.
Ya know, after him watching me give birth to two babies, I don't think there is much that grosses him out lol

Why not use the little brown paper bags like the last person recommended. Or just get yourself a mini-garbage can to keep in your bathroom that your husband never has to open. Sorry if he's grossed out - but guess what - all husbands have to deal with that. Don't switch to pads on his account. Definitely no flushing down the toilet - when I was a teenager we had problems with that even without a septic system.

Your husband married a woman, with that comes blood once a month. Buck up, buddy. That said, if you are wrapping them right, he wouldn't even know they were in there.
I throw all of it in the trash because we live in the city in an old house with old sewer lines to the street and I don't need any more clogs than the tree out front blesses us with.

1 / 3