Sensitve and Lumps in My Breast After Stopping Nursing

Hello,
I stopped nursing my son, for good two weeks ago. I wasn't nursing him much anyway and really wasn't pumping that much. Yet, My breast have become lumpy and very sensitive since then. Iv done cold packs and the cabbage thing. They have gotten better but the lumps scare me being there is breast cancer in my family. DO any of you have any other ideas of what I should be doing or how long I should wait before I see a DR?
Thanks

I had the same problem. My doctor said I should wait 6 months after I stopped breast feeding. After 6 months, I still had a few lumps that weren't really sensative anymore. My doctor still wanted to see me and i cam through with a clean bill of health. It took about 2-3 months after that for the lumps to completely disappear. Good luck.

I agree with Amy. At least call your Dr. and ask if they want you to come in. With breast cancer in your family, you should never take chances. Your Dr. will know whether to be concerned or not. Personally, I'd probably make an appointment and have them checked just for peace of mind. I know there is an estrogen-fed cancer that can grow rapidly while pregnant and nursing (I have a friend who was diagnosed early in her 3rd pregnancy). It's always better to be safe than sorry.

It's probably just "old" milk. You can actually have milk in your breasts even up to a year after you stop nursing. I would be concerned if it increases, rather than decreases in size. Of course you can always check with your MD, too. I was sent for a mammogram and placed on antibx for a week after having some discharge from my nipple. best of luck!

It maybe nothing. I nursed my first 4, and will hopefully nurse my last one. I am not sure how long it took for the lumps and sensitivity to go away. It's not something that I would be concerened about but I don't have breast cancer in my family. knowing me I would be the one to over react and make an apoinment with my dr asap if for nothing but piece of mind!

I was concerned about a lump during nursing. My gyno checked it out, and said just to watch it and let him know if it got bigger, or had another significant change. They don't get too concerned about lumps during this time as there are many unique things going on during the nursing and weaning process. My Dr. won't do a mamogram until at least 6 months after nursing ceases. Definately call your Dr's office to get their opinion. It will help your peace of mind if nothing else.

I have nursed all three of my children and I have to say I never experienced anything like that. I would at least call your dr and see if they want to see you!!! It could be normal but it is always better to be on the safe side!!

A.

Before I had children, I had a couple of cysts that were very scary to find. About a month after I stopped breastfeeding my first child, I developed a lump. I had it checked by having it aspriated. It was another cyst. About a month after I stopped nursing my second child, yet another lump appeared. My yearly exam soon came and my doctor checked out the new lump. It had all the same characteristics of the other lumps (feels round, seems to move back and forth easily and at times, extremely painful). He and I both felt it was another cyst. He said to keep an eye on it and if it changed, come back. It hasn't and it's still there. He said that when you stop nursing, your body goes through hormonal changes and that sometimes triggers changes in breast tissue. Every time I find a new lump, I go to have it checked out. I would definately suggest the same for you to have done as soon as possible.
Hang in there!

Try taking a warm shower and squeezing the lumps. They might be plugged ducts with milk still in them. If they remain plugged, you could get an infection (mastitis) and require antibiotics.

1 / 3