Selsun Blue for Cradle Cap

Good morning Mamas!
My daughter has cradle cap and it seems to be getting worse. First time the pedi saw it he suggested putting baby oil on it. That helped a bit. The last time he saw her it still hadn't cleared and he suggested that if it got worse we could use Selsun blue on it. Well, it's worse.
Have any of you ever done this? If so, how did you actually do it - is it just like washing their hair but with selsun blue (and a lot more caution), and did it clear up the cradle cap?
thanks and have a great 'day of rest'!! :-)

Selsun Blue seems to be working on my daughter. I also bought a craddle cap brush from Wal-Mart for about $4 and it really helps. It has a sponge on one side filled with the shampoo and the other side has long soft plastic bristles that help to loosen the dead skin. Then I rinse and once she's dried and dressed I go over it again gently with a regular baby brush.

I used Selsun blue for my son, & it worked. When I was putting it on his head, I "scrubbed" (very gently) his head with that soft brush they send home with from the hospital.

My son had cradle cap and our Pediatrician told us to use Selsun Blue or Head and Shoulders. We used it and it cleared up, but it takes a couple of weeks!

My daughter has had it bad for now two years. I get rid of it and it continues to come back.

Our prob is she was born with afull head of thick dark hair so it is hard for me to see the cradle cap and hard for me to get rid of it. Since she is now a active toddler it is even harder to do the treatments since I am the only parent bathing her.

I was told to do the Selson Blue as well...I have purchased it but have been scared to use it until I have an extra pair of hands to help me.

She does have eczema but we have control over it now by keeping her bath water luke warm and only baithing her every other day instead of every day...helped a lot. We use dye/perfume free laundry detergent and make sure she get lotion put on twice a day.

Yes, we tried this with my son. He also had eczema and reacted to the Selson Blue. I used the tiniest amount possible to wash his hair and rinsed very carefully to avoid getting it in this eyes. This was usually the very last thing to do so that I could take him right out of the bath afterwards.

What really helped though was California Baby Super Sensitive Shampoo & Bodywash as well as the conditioner. It's expensive but it really works and is extremely gentle on baby's delicate skin. We still use it and he is 3 years old. You can find it at Target and some Health grocery stores.

Hey there!
My pediatrician Reccommended the same thing for my son, and it was terrible! it got worse and irritated his scalp even more. I wouldnt suggest using the Selsun Blue. What i did instead was the baby oil and a comb! that worked best. :)

My son had cradle cap too! His whole had was covered with it. I used petrolumn jelly on it. I simply covered his entire head with it, then did something else, to give it time to loosen. I started with him sitting in his carrier and using a fingernail I slowly scraped it off! It came right off! You may wish to try this before using the Selsum Blue, the petroulm jelly won't hurt her eye's and is much less likely to get into her eye's.

My son had severe cradle cap, and we tried the Selsun Blue as well with no success. What worked for him was Mustela. We used the Newborn Foam Shampoo for Cradle Cap and a cream called Stelekar (sp?). I think they sell it at Babiesrus. I ordered it online at drugstore.com. It cleared it up completely within a few days. I love the shampoo and have been using it ever since.

Yep, we used the Selsun Blue and it worked very well. We used just a little, obviously being super careful to keep it away from baby's eyes. We rubbed it into his scalp and very gently used my finger nails to massage it in and "exfoliate"; let it sit for a few minutes then carefully rinsed. We only had to do it twice and the cradle cap was gone.

Hello B.,
it could be an allergic reaction to latex. now that my daughter is six... I know better and her latex allergy eventually developed int asthma. does it get worse after going to the doctor? ask for latex free gloves. it you use formula, it could be what's in her formula too. (and shampoo, etc.) cradle cap is eczema is like dandruf so that's why he recommends selsun blue. follow your gut and figure out why your little girl is getting eczema.
here are some tips:
http://www.parenttime.com/babytips/cradlecapremedy.html

so, google everything and DO ask your doctor about it =)
~C.~

1 / 3