Selling Baby Furniture/items on Something Other than Craigslist

Hello, Moms! Wanted to seek some assistance. Given all the recent press about Craigslist, I have been a little leary advertising things for sale. Wanted to know what other moms have done, besides a garage sale, to sell their new/gently used baby's things. We have a beautiful brand new never used crib (decided to cosleep after the baby was born) which I have been ready to sell but wanting some other options besides Craigslist. Any suggestions? Thanks.

If you are okay with joining groups on Yahoo, I belong to this one:
SBParentsbuy_sell_kidstuff

I get e-mails digests everyday. It's been great for selling and buying.

Call Once-Upon-A-Child and see if they would be interested in buying it. I sold (and bought) most of my baby things at these kinds of stores. The better the condition and the quality of the item, the more they are willing to give you for it. If they can't take it, they can ususally give you ideas of other places that will.

I've posted things to my mom's groups. One of them is on meetup.com and I posted on the message board.

Hi T.,

I take my baby stuff to a baby second hand stores and put it on consignment. You should call a local store in your neighborhood and ask them what is the selling policy there. Alot of parents like to go to baby consignment stores. I did. Good luck!!

SBParentsbuy_sell_kidstuff

Hi T.,
You can sell it at the Just Between Friends Sale coming up at the end of August. They have their sales twice a year. Check out JBFSale.com. Good luck!

There's a consignment store for baby/kid's items at Cambrian Plaza in San Jose (corner of Camden & Union - store faces Union). There als used to be one in the "Burbank" area of San Jose, on Bascom near Stevens Creek. You might also consider donating some or all of your gently used items to a women's shelter. They're always in need of help.

Hi T.-
In Bakersfield, Ca there is a place that swaps gently used furniture for things you need like clothes and furniture for older babies. It's called something like my sisters closet I think. Anyway, it's a trade on value. It's not worth it for everyone, but it may be an option for you. I am pretty sure most areas have something similar. You can also sell on e-bay, but you have to have an account and I believe you have to start small before you can sell larger items.
I hope this helps!
-E. M

Try consignment stores in your area. Moms clubs may have newsletters or other avenues to sell stuff as well.

Hello T.!

I actually just recently sold a bunch of items on Craigslist-not baby items though. It was a major success, however there were a few attempts to be scammed. Don't ever sell or respond to anyone that says they will send you a money order without seeing the item and they will have some service pick it up for them. Or anyone that says they will buy it for more if you take it off CL and you send them your information, i.e: name, address and phone number. I really tried to not have the buyers come to my home and had my husband meet them elsewhere. However in your situation you may not be able to. I would just recommend you store the item in your garage, or place it in the garage when someone comes over to view it. It keeps them out of your home and on more common ground. Good Luck! I think CL is the best and it makes you fast cash! I have sold many items this year alone, so I know it is a great tool to utilize.

Another website someone told me about is kijiji.com. I have looked at it briefly. I know it is free to advertise.
Hope this helps!
Otherwise, a consignment shop would probably be best.

1 / 3