Sellable Kids Craft

My son's school holds an Art Fest each spring at which students may sell their artwork or homemade crafts (price can be $.50 to $10). We made decorated domino magnets last year and sold them for $.50 each. They did not sell very well, and my son was disappointed. Does anyone have ideas for a simple craft (something a 7 year old can do with mom's help) that other students (K-8th) will want to buy? Thanks!

Duct tape wallets are a hit with boys & you can do red & hot pink for girls. You use cardboard and colored duct tape. There are several how to guides online that will tell you how to do it. My sons 3rd grade group of friends made these for each other for fun - he's now in 8th grade & still has & carries the wallet! He said he may have to make a new one soon. :)

Easy to make, not expensive and a hit with other kiddo's & it's a boy themed item! Good luck.

Well you could always make the cute flower hair clips but that would only appeal to little girls. hmmmm.....What about homemade gak? My aunt has the recipe and makes it for her sons all the time. you can added food coloring to it and find some cool plastic containers to put then in. Maybe even make a cute gak label for all the containers. It is really easy and fast to make let me know if you would like the recipe.
Also you can make homemade marshmallow blow guns. All you need is pvc pipe, 1 female to female connector, and then stickers and stuff to decorate the pipe. I saw these at a craft show ones really cute/ easy to make and I'm sure kids would love them.

I don't know if is considered a craft but my daughter and I make homemade suckers 2 or 3 times a month and she sells them to her friends. She sells out every time and she puts 25 cents on the small ones and 50 cents on the bigger ones. We bought the supplies at Hobby Lobby. You just have to do the cooking part and pouring of the syrup into the molds so she won't get burned but she could put them in the bags.

Great idea: Have him make colorful flower-topped pens.
1. Buy inexpensive ballpoint pens, (BIC-type), even those with colored inks, you can get them in bulk at Sam's, office supply, Wowmart, etc.
2. Buy floral wrapping tape in green from florists or flower or craft stores.
3. Buy silk flowers in bulk from craft stores, sometimes even second hand stores or garage sales, when people are getting rid of flower arrangements they've grown tired of, or changed their color scheme.
4. Break them down into individual flowers with wire stems. Affix the flower to the pen with a bit of tape. Then wrap the entire pen down to the end of the shaft so that it looks green, careful to wrap more thickly around the top end that has the wire.
5. These will be beautiful pens with flowers on the top. Might go over well before Easter.
6. Could also assemble several coordinated colors in small vases, (or jars or cans that have been spray painted,) for a floral bouquet effect, perhaps for gifts for Mother's Day.
7. Cheap. Easy for a child to do with supervision. And very pretty, especially appealing to girls.
8. Could also aim some for boys by choosing sports team colors, either the local school colors, or NFL colors. Choose less frilly flowers, more like miniature football mum-type flowers.
9. "Market them" by making some nice computer printed signs for each grouping, or even the child hand-making signs, that direct the kids to their preference.
"Easter" colors
"Mother's Day Gift"
"Your favorite sports team"
"School spirit flowers"
"Gifts for Teachers"
Ect.
9. I myself love these, and they aren't frequently stolen or inadvertently "lifted", simply because they are eye-catching.

I don't have a specific idea, but I'd think things that would sell best would be something kids can wear (like a bracelet or necklace) or use in some way. Can't think of anything off the top of my head... But no matter how cute the things were last year that you made, I wouldn't think magnets would be a big seller for kids to buy. Think "wear", "play with" or "use" to come up with an idea

How about tie dye shirts? You can get packages of white T-shirts cheap at Wal-mart. The tie dye supplies should be at Michael's or JoAnns and they always have a 40% off coupon in Sunday's paper. Good luck and have fun.

Since it will be spring, you could make Mother's Day Cards. You can buy a package of colored paper (Cardstock) at JoAnn's or Michaels or Hobby lobby. Usually a pack of 50 sheets is about $4 (or less, on sale). Each sheet can be cut in half and folded, so one whole pack would make 100 cards. You can buy plain white "invitation" envelopes at some Wal-Marts and I know you can get them at office stores. Also, Jo-Anns and Michaels sells them too. Have your son cut out flowers or pretty pictures from Magazines, or just print some off the internet and glue them on the front. Then He can write "Happy Mother's Day" on the front or you can purchase a rubber stamp and stamp pad (again from Michaels, JoAnns or Hobby Lobby) to stamp on the front.

My guess on the costs:
$4 paper
$5 envelopes
$10 stamp and stamp pad
TOTAL=$20 enough for 100 cards which works out to 20 cents per card. You could sell the cards for 50 or 75 cents each

You could also make Father's Day cards.

These are good for kids since they don't normally know what to give their parents on their own. and, don't forget, it will be the end of the school year soon. You could make some "You're a Great teacher" cards or bookmarks.

You could also use the paper to make bookmarks for kids that could say Anything! Buy some Disney stickers and decorate them.

Just some ideas. My son's school does a business fair every year for 3rd graders.

Any bracelet or necklace with the school's name on it...or school colors maybe? We have a craft fair at ,y kids school every year around Christmas and the kids who had the booth next to me were selling this type stuff and totally cleaned up! They used old bottle caps filled w/resin of some kind...it was clear and you could see the school name thru it...

1 / 3