Seeking to Buy a Good Carpet Cleaner

Hi all,
I am looking to buy a new carpet cleaner. Yes,I have been saving my pennies, nickles and dimes for this. I has a hooverSteam Vac, but it has expired. I have Berber carpeting in my home and would like to find something that will work well on this type of carpet. Any suggestions?
Thank you all and have a wonderful day.

I decided to get the Hoover all terrain steam cleaner. So far it is cleaning pretty well. I ended up getting it at Costco for $100.00 cheaper than other stores. Thank you all for you input and if this one goes out, I know that there are other to try too. Thank you.

The best one that I have and use is an Oreck Carpet Steamer. It is very easy to use and works great. I know that they have a couple Oreck stores in town that sell them. Good luck.

I have Berber too and so far the only carpet cleaner that has actually cleaned it is my brand new Rainbow. I know they are super expensive but we have 2 big dogs, a cat and 3 busy kids with no grass in our backyard so they bring in a lot of dirt. We had borrowed many other friends but nothing had removed the stains until the Rainbow demonstrators came over. I was NEVER going to buy one, my husband was NEVER going to buy one and after the demo when this one particular nasty stain came right up with the carpet cleaner we couldn't get one fast enough. Oh and it vacuums really well too. I can even spray my Pergo with vinegar and water and use my hardwood floor attatchment to vacuum and mop at the same time and on low we can use the unit as an air cleaner. Worth every penny. I am not selling them at all so this is just a recommendation from a very happy user.

Hi Melissa,

I have a Dirt Devil and it works well, but have learned some things about carpet cleaners, after purchasing mine.
I have business associates that have a carpet cleaning business and are VERY knowledgable about this area.
They said that if the temperature of the water doesn't reach at least 120 degrees, you aren't going to get proper cleaning. I imagine that only commerical carpet cleaners get that hot, so my suggestion, is to get one that will get the water the hottest, if that's at all possible.
Good luck in your search & God bless,

L. Amason
www.sowing4health.com

A great carpet cleaner is a Kirby. It is all in one machine. They do all the vacuuming, shampooing, etc. They are spendy but they are well worth the money. Not to mention that they have a lifetime warranty on them so you will never have to buy another vacuum/shampooer. I just purchased the newest model and it runs about $2000, which like I said is spendy but well worth the money. Hope this helps.

We have a hoover steam vac and it's done well, also not a bad price :)

I have berber carpet also. I just bought a Bissell Quicksteamer last month and I love it. It is lighter than any other carpet cleaner I have ever had. I use it at least three times a week. The only down side is that it doesnt have the attachments that clean couches or whatever, but that is not what I bought it for. If you want the attachments, I would still get a Bissell, their carpet cleaning solution is really wonderful. Just my opinion. The one I bought was only $70. We used to have a hoover steam vac, but it died on us. I liked it, I just find my quicksteamer much easier to use.

If you want to buy a steam cleaner it is really important to get really good suction. The Hoover Steam Vac has the most powerful suction of the regular steam vacs out there. I have gone through three of these and I love them. You also may want to call or go to a vacuum store and ask the people there which cleaners would work best. If the store only sells vacuums they should know their stuff. I know that Swiss Boy in Bountiful is a really good vacuum store and the staff is very reliable. You may want to give them a call.

I'm looking for one, too. We bought a Bissel proheat from my in-laws' neighbors at a yard sale. It really cleaned well, but then it stopped spraying. So I took it apart and did online troubleshooting, but nothing worked. I took it in to get fixed. $80 later, it worked for 3 weeks. Luckily the repair was still under warranty, so they fixed it again for free. But now the upholstery tool has stopped spraying, and that's what we need the most right now!
Really, it's done a great job at cleaning a bunch of different types of carpet, but I don't really recommend it.
My in-laws have an ancient Hoover Steam Vac and it still does a better job than our much newer Bissel ever did! We're looking into getting one of those.
I know there's one on special at Costco, in their coupon pamphlet. It also cleans hard floors. If you're a member or know someone (I mean, how many people are going to need a carpet cleaner right now?)who is, you may want to look into that.

1 / 3