Seeking Shelter to Donate Items To

Hi there
I am looking to find a women's shelter that I can donate some womens clothes and kids toys to. My son just had a birthday and I realised just how many toys we have (too many). Thought about selling them on craigslist but decided it would be really nice to help people less fortunate than us. I really would like to donate them to a womens shelter (or charity that helps families who've been affected by domestic violence) to help them get back on their feet and give some less fortunate kids a little bit of fun. If anyone knows of any please let me know.
Thanks

The Haven in (I think) Pontiac, St. Aloysius shelter in Detroit, there is also a women's shelter for women with children just off of Michigan Ave. in Westland at the old Eloise Hospital site, but I don't know the name of that one.

Lighthouse of Oakland County in Pontiac would welcome donations. It houses women and children who are trying to get established and back on their feet. I volunteered there last year, and they were most appreciative for any donations.

Common Ground Shelter in Royal Oak.

I always donate to First Step. The branch I always go to is in Plymouth, but I'm pretty sure they have a couple other locations. (You have to be patient when trying to get one of their locations, of course. Their security is kinda tight.)

There is one called God's Helping Hands (or something similar) in Rochester that has free items for families I believe.

Hi M. --

This is very nice of you. You might want to sell them and donate the money to the shelter. The comment someone posted about new items is correct.

Here is HAVEN's wish list.
http://www.haven-oakland.org/howyoucanhelp.html

To make a tax-deductible financial contribution to support HAVEN's work in your community, make a donation online or call the HAVEN Development Department at ###-###-#### ext.344.

HAVEN Wish List
(Download a Printable List)
HAVEN's shelter provides three meals and living supplies to our residents each day. We typically house 45 people in the shelter. Due to a lack of space, we can only accept new items.

We also accept used cell phones in working order. Please drop off donated cell phones at the HAVEN administrative offices.

Gift Cards:
Meijer
Kroger
Rite-Aid
CVS
Target
Home Depot
Lowe's
Sam's Club
Food Needs:
Juice (apple, orange & fruit punch)
Individually-wrapped snacks
Bottled water
Snack-size candy bars
Canned pastas
Fresh fruit (apples, bananas & oranges)
Additional Needs:
Toilet paper
Lysol spray
Hand lotion (full size bottles only)
Hair Conditioner (full size bottles only)
African American hair products
Bath towels
Washcloths
Deodorant
Diapers (size 5)
Plastic cups
Paper towels
Baby bottles
Car seats (infant or toddler)
Strollers
Women's sweatpants (s-xl)
Powdered laundry soap
Radio
Batteries (AAA, AA & 9v)
Calculators
Combination lock
Alarm clock
Slippers (women & children)
Adult games (Taboo, Cranium, etc)
Self-esteem games
Garbage bags (40 gal)
Gallon ziploc bags
Waste baskets (office size)

HAVEN is a place that you should look into. I've done a lot of volunteer work in their domestic violence shelter, and they are a WONDERFUL organization.
I do believe, however, that items need to be brand new as they do not have a tremendous amount of storage space.

My sister works at one in Monroe.. PM me and I can give you the contact info if you'd like.

M.,

Another good resource is Freecycle. This group is sponsored through Yahoo Groups and it is a way to keep things out of landfills. Baby toys and clothes are always a desperately needed item and often times go as quickly as you post them.

You can find more information here -

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WesternWayneFreecycle/

WHere do you live? There is the salvation army womans shelter in warren, opus day on the east side of detroit (st judes church), pregnancy refuage in taylor (bapist church at telegraph & penns.), Turing point mt clemens, lacasa in howell, there is one in plymouth but I cant remember the name. Tell me what area you live in and I can google the address for you.

1 / 3