Seeking Recommendations for Toothpaste/toothbrush for an 18-Month Old

Hi moms -

I have been using Baby Orajel (flouride-free) and the accompanying fingerbrush for my 18-month old's teeth, but I was wondering what other moms are using to brush their toddler's teeth and gums. His doctor says a small dab of regular toothpaste is safe and recommended, but I wanted some more input from other moms.
Any recommendations on types/brands of toothpaste and toothbrush? Should we just comtinue with the Baby Orajel?

Thank you in advance!

Thank you for your thoughtful responses! I found all of them to be insightful and helpful - especially considering they come from other moms with similar experiences.

I have been using the Stage 1 Oral B toothpaste and toothbrush since my son starting eating solids at 6 months (he's now almost 1 year old). I brush briefly, then he uses the toothbrush himself to "brush" his own teeth. He loves it.

Oragel makes a toothpaste for little kids and the packaging comes with a toothbrush... That's what I use for my 15 month old

Any kind that would make it fun for him....likely a soft bristle is best. I got lite up tooth brushes at the dollar store for my kids.

I did not use Flouride toothpaste until I knew my kids could spit out (which is finally now at 4 1/2 and 6 1/2). Flouride only works on the surface of the teeth, and not if injested, so there is no need and I do not think completely safe if they swallow it. My kids teeth are great. I used Toms Flouride free toothpaste from Whole Foods.

I am not sure if you want a natural and totally organic toothpaste with no artificial colors or sweeteners and no chemicals, but there is an amazing web site www.cosmeticsdatabase.com you should check out! It rates ALL products and tells you if there are any risks for cancer, asthma, hormosone disruptors etc. It rates each product too. The ones that I researched that were the safest were Jason Natural Earth's Best Toddler Toothpaste - strawberry banana and also Healing Scents Spearmist Toothpaste.

I have a 3yr old and a 21 month old and we use crest for kids and I buy a small soft toothbrush-usually oral B they have different stages or crest makes nice small ones. Just use a pea size amt of toothpaste and if ya want wipe it with a washcloth when your done so you limit the swallowing, but a peasize is safe. I use to work for a pedo dentist and we always rec using a fluoridated toothpaste.Hope this helps. L.

Fluoride isn't good for infants and young children. Stay with the flouride-free toothpaste. There are also some great "training gels" that are ok to be swallowed. My 3 yr old is just now experimenting with spitting out but I will stick with the training gel for a while longer.

Here's a quote from a dental website "Too much flouride in infants and toddlers teeth can lead to fluorosis, a condition which causes permanent white, yellow or brown spots to appear on the child's "adult teeth" as they appear. Toothpaste won't remove this staining. While it's usually more of a cosmetic concern, in severe cases fluorosis also can cause pitting of the tooth enamel. That's why the American Dental Association recommends that infants and children under age 2 never use fluoride-containing toothpaste, and any formula they ingest should be mixed with non-fluoridated water."

C.~
www.HelpUstayHome.com

I wouldn't use regular toothpaste. Not even a dab until he can spit out. My kids are 3.5 and 6 and still use non fluoride toothpaste. They both had xrays recently and still no cavities. We floss and brush everyday. Plus every few weeks I put act rinse on the toothbrush and brush their teeth with it. They are both ready by now, so I may introduce fluoride toothpaste very soon. When my daughter was young, I don't recall the age but maybe around your childs age, I used regular toothpaste. I don't know why! I knew she was too young, I can't for the life of me remember why I did it. Long story short, she got white spots on her teeth and the dentist said it was from too much fluoride - so - I don't know, I never checked that out but I stopped using fluoride toothpaste.

As for a toothbrush, you'll see they have ages on them. So just get one that says infant for your child.

just continue with the baby orajel or other brand of same non-fluouridated stuff and use a toothbrush or whatever. You can switch to the fluouride toothpaste when your little one can reliably spit. (not swallow it)

1 / 3