Seeking Recommendations and Warnings for Dual Electric Breast Pumps

I will be breastfeeding my second child after he is born in late July/early August. I breastfed my first son about four years ago, and used a simple hand operated breast pump from Avent. This worked quite poorly, in my opinion. I have large breasts and nipples, so I though maybe this was the problem. Many mothers have recommended that I try a dual electric pump, which I am open to, but I want to research my options, and there is nothing quite like the approval of moms that have tested them already! :-) There are a few options on the market right now:

Ameda Purely Yours Breast Pump - BPA Free

Ameda Purely Yours Ultra Double Electric Breast Pump

Medela Pump In Style Advanced

Playtex Embrace Double Electric Breast Pump

Avent Isis IQ Duo Twin Electronic Breast Pump

I would love to hear comments, concerns, warnings, recommendations and any other feedback from those of you that have used one of these pumps, or know someone who had an experience with one. Thank you in advance for all of your help!

Hi V.,
Like you, I have large breasts, so I thought I'd share my experiences with you. I had a difficult time pumping. I started out with the Avent Isis IQ Single Pump, but I couldn't seem to get much milk. Then, thinking maybe the problem was the pump, I tried the Medela Pump in Style Double Pump. That was worse, I couldn't get any milk at all with that. So, I went back to the Avent and discovered that the only way for me to get any milk was to lean forward and hold my breast up from underneath. In that, rather awkward position, I was able to actually pump successfully. Based on that, I don't know how I'd ever get anywhere with a double pump - - unless someone else was helping me hold everything! :) It just didn't seem like the pumps were very effective on large breasts, but maybe it was just me... Good Luck and best wishes with the new baby!

I used the Medella Pump in Style Advanced and it was great! My son wouldn't latch on so I had double duty of pumping and feeding all the time, and I took it to work with me. It was worth the $.

The Medela pump in style is awesome!! I used it for both my kids, and lent it to my sister-in-law for her two kids ( you just get new tubing and bottles) and she lent it to her sister and sister-in-law. That is 8 kids it was used for. This is way past what the life of the motor is reported to be. It was one solid product!

I have the Medela and had no problems with it. They sell replacement valves that fit larger breasts. A warning about pumps in general is that some people are unable to pump successfully or aren't able to get out as much milk this way--as you probably know, the baby's mouth is much more efficient at getting out milk.

Anything they sell these days is going to be BPA-free. Because of all the bad press, they've pretty much done away with BPA in baby bottles. Even if the pump itself had BPA parts which I don't think it would, those parts aren't going to come in contact with your milk anyway. It's best to use glass to avoid all leaching, because even the safest plastics can leach something into your milk, especially if you heat them. I'd use glass bottles with the silicone sleeves to help avoid the breakage issue.

Hi V.,
I have no comparison but am using the Medela Pump in Style and like it a lot. I am a FT working Mom and this one saves me time. It takes < 10 minutes and since I have more than 2 shields, I do the cleaning when I get back from work. I use the special Medela Micro-steam bags (for the microwave :) to desinfect all the parts in. I have one warning for you: I tried to clean the tubing also (separately, as they recommend...) but it melted. I am going to try micro-steaming the new tubing again but won't put it in the microwave for as long. You mentioned that you have large breasts and nipples. Medela has all different sizes of shields so I'm sure you'd find one kind for yourself.
I'm sure you know that... please do not start pumping untill your milk supply is established, I had some problems with that...
Good luck with the baby and the pump :)
Mama Magda

Hi V.,
I think any pump made by Medela is worth the money. I had a Double Ease given to me as a shower gift in 2003 and used it to different extents with all four of my children. They just keep getting more advanced with their designs, the one I used at Albany Med in April was Hospital Grade I'm sure that was called Symphony - a terrific pump. Medela also has these great sterlizer bags you use in 1.5 seconds in your microwave! Check those out! Good Luck. E.

I liked the Medela Pump In Style Advanced. I can't compare it to any others but I had no problems with it. They are expensive but I do recommend the dual electric pump. It will make your life easier!

I used the Whisper Wear Hands Free Pump. I had a hard time getting much milk when I pumped until I found this one. I was able to nurse on one breast and pump on the other at the same time. I was relaxed and looking at my baby boy so it worked really well. The system comes with two so that you can pump both sides at the same time, but I was never able to get much that way.

You can google it and learn about it. I don't think that you can get it at regular stores, only online.

I have the Medela Freestyle!!!! LOVE IT!! Very good suction and the settings are great!!! The beginning of the process mimics that of a baby very fast for 2 minutes and then very long suctions..... I have always had to work very hard to get milk out and for the prior 2 kiddies I used the Medela Pump in Style. This one just seems to work better for me!!! I like that I can hook the base on my shirt or pants and be free handed by just hooking my bra over the shield.

Hope this helps!!1

I have been using the Medela Pump in Style since last July and have no complaints. I had my daughter last April, returned to work in September and no one even thinks it's a pump. It's well worth the cost.

1 / 3