Seeking Proven Eczema Solution for 6 Month Old

My 6 month old daughter has developed a terrible case of eczema over her arms, legs, trunk, and face. She is usually in good spirits, but scratches all day. I have tried Renew lotion, Aveeno and Aquaphor with no success. I have been feeding her Nutramigen since she was 2.5 months old due to her crying and twisting during feeding and I concluded she must be allergic to cow's milk protein. We started solids about 4 weeks ago - fruits, veggies and meat only so far.
Has anyone won the eczema war? And if so, how?

My son is 2 now but for the first year of his life he had the worst eczema on his cheeks. Only thing that worked for us when it was really bad was thin layer of 1% hydrocortisone. When it calmed down we always put Eucerin on but we used the hydrocortisone when it was bad and it helped immediately.

I smear my son up at least 2x a day with Cetaphil lotion. Always in the morning and again after his evening bath. In the winter, he gets more applications as needed. It has helped tremendously. He still gets little patches of exzema on his arms, mainly, but not nearly as bad. A year ago, he had exzema on his face really bad and I did take him to a dermatologist, who prescribed several ointments, which got it under control, and that is how I found out about the Cetaphil.

I have been there and am still doing so. My son is now 7 and at 6 months had the same issues you are experiencing. I tried everything. I have finally found ways to make it better. Aside from the allergy shots (a whole other story) I have found that Avon makes a product and it is a soapless body wash and along with their lotion, the eczema all but disappeared. We swear by it. Good Luck! I also sell Avon because of this so let me know if you are intrested.

Depending on how bad the eczema is you can request your child be put on prednisone which is a steroid. My son has been on that a couple of times for his severe allegeries. He also had pretty bad eczema when he was younger. He is now 3 years old and only gets it in the elbow creases and behind the knees. We use aquaphor RIGHT AFTER the bath. The key to the aquaphor is to use it within 3 minutes of taking her right out of the water. Her pores must still be open. I have also used baby powder in conjunction with the aquaphor to help seal it in. The only other thing that has worked for us was giving him prescription strength 2.5mg of hydrocortisone. You just don't want to use to much of that all the time. You should only use it for about 1 week and then stop for a couple weeks.
I hope this helps. Does your daughter have asthma as well? Just curious? Typically kids with eczema will have asthma too because it is located on the same gene.

well the first thing is Nutramigen is still made from cow milk so it COULD still be cow protein is the problem. With a child with allergies still not at baseline that is ALOT of new foods at once she could be reacting to one or all of the above. when you get the gut healed and the food thing underway the eczema will resolve. Until then stay away from lotions they all contain some sort of alcohol as they all have water in them. use straight olive, or virgin coconut oil. better yet use an infused oil with calendula, plantain. lavender, rosehips, chickweed they will help it not to itch and encourage the skin to heal as well. but you won't win the battle until you get her to baseline the BEST group i have found to help with food issues is called Food Lab on yahoo groups.yahoo.com/group/foodlab/ they can help you find the traces of cow milk that are still causing the problem and most of those meats for baby food have dairy in them too.

Our son had wicked eczema and sometimes still has some bad flareups. We use vanicream shampoo, soap, and cream on him, as well as cortaid and aquaphor on his bad spots. We do that twice a day. He's also on zyrtec and hydroxizine for the seasonal allergies and itchiness that he seems to have year round. He has a history of food allergies, outgrew his egg allergy and remains allergic to nuts. Perhaps a consult with an allergist would help? We see Dr. Bollinger at Univ. of MD hospital, she's great, very thorough. We've been battling the eczema/allergy issues since he was 5 weeks old, finally getting a diagnosis of food allergies at 4 months of age.

My daughter has eczema but most would never know it. I have alwayed use oatmeal for the itching. Real Quaker oats. Place them in a mesh bag or stocking and hang over bath facuet. It makes a wonderful milky bath and soothes itching. During the winter months I use organic coconut oil as a lotion and during the summer I use Aveeno the blue label with menthol in it. Vitamin E works sometimes. The sun might cause some itching so use a sunscreen. Aveeno makes a 75 spf. Hope this helps. My daughter is now 7 and enjoys caring for her minor itches on her own. Since she is a big girl. :~)

I know this is an old post, and you've already gotten lots of advice, maybe even had your baby tested for allergies already.

I just wanted to add that although a humidifier is recommended for treating eczema, humidity makes dust mite populations skyrocket. If your kid is by any chance allergic to dust mites, keep the humidity down. Respiratory issues are also a good indicator of dust mite allergies.

A couple of my kids had eczema and the best thing we found is called Therapy Oil. I don't know all the stores that sell it, but I know you can get it direct from the manufactures website at www.wellinhand.com. If you have any questions about this or want more info, email me at ____@____.com

We even ended up going to UVA Children's hospital for one of my kids and getting steroid cream which I didn't want to use too much and this was WAY better with NO side effects and useful for other things too.

Hi, N., I'm really surprised that Renew did not help. Did you also stop using chemicals in your laundry and bath products? Melaleuca's full line of products typically does wonders for eczema, but if you only treat it topically, you may not see a change. Please try this before considering long term use of steroids; that is very unhealthy, especially when used on the neck and above!

my daughter had horrible eczema as a baby. We used hydrocortisone (our ped gave us a rx for a slightly stronger version than over the counter but you can use the over the counter also). we put the hydrocortisone on in a thin layer and then smeared Eucerin all over. The Eucerin we used was in a tub and was as thick as crisco (not the think lotion in the tubes). You may want to consider a dermatologist. a friend saw one that was used to treating little ones. good luck. my daughter out grew most of it and what she still has doesn't seem to bother her anymore.

1 / 3