Seeking Organization to Donate Baby Clothes

Hi there

I'd like to donate some used baby and maternity clothes. I usually give my old clothes to Salvation Army or Goodwill but for baby clothes I would rather give them to someone who needs them. I don't want them to have to pay for them. Does anyone know of an organization who donates directly to people in need? I live in Santa Clara, so I prefer if it is within 20 miles.

Thanks,

Another great organization to donate to is the Santa Clara County Children's Shelter off of Union Ave. and Hwy 85 in San Jose. They take everything - clothing, baby gear, toys, etc. The woman who works there says most kids come to the shelter with nothing, just the clothes they are wearing when they are taken out of their home. Many other charities (Goodwill, etc) don't even accept baby gear anymore as they find it a liability.

Try a site called GumdropSwap (http://gumdropswap.com). You can swap from anywhere in the US by sending the clothes your kids outgrow to this kids boutique in CT. An option if you want to get some value out of all the money you spent instead of flat out donating. As long your things are in good condition they don't turn down anything because of brand, size or season. They take everything unlike resale store like Once Upon a Child! They give you points to shop on the website and send the clothes that fit your kids. It's great if you don't have time, patience or know how to do consignment, Ebay, craigslist, tag sale, etc.

The best place I've found is Catholic Charities of Santa Clara. I would prefer a non-religious organization but they get everything else right: easy to donate and they give instead of sell to those in need.

If you are ok with the clothes being sold then I would highly recommend Blossom Birth in Palo Alto. They specialize in helping new moms and are a wonderful resource for the community.

Our church is affiliated with a small mission in the downtown area of San Jose, off Virginia St and it serves about 100 families. It's called Santa Maria Urban Mission, phone ###-###-####. I usually take my grandchildren with me so they can experience giving and helping others, especially when we donate toys. The people are very appreciative and sometimes are waiting to receive goods or food.
If that doesn't appeal to you, you may contact a woman and children's shelter or a charity like The Cancer Society that operates a non-profit store.

You might contact the Support Network for Battered Women. Many of these gals leave with only the clothes on their backs. Contact info is: ###-###-#### or www.snbw.org. The offices are located at 1257 Tasman Drive, Suite C, Sunnyvale 94089 - not far from Santa Clara.

I have put adds on craigslist before. Say in the add that you want them to go to an in need family and then you can decide who to give them to. I asked them to e mail me with a little bio about the family and found a single mom who really needed the help. We ended up being friends and started having play dates together, it was really great.
It is a good thing to give back, I needed the help when I was younger with my kids. Now I enjoy giving the same kind of help to young mom's in the same boat.

C.,

I also live in Santa Clara. I have given my maternity clothes, baby clothes, and all other house items to City Team Ministries. They are located 1297 N 13th Street, San Jose, CA 95112 ###-###-####, www.cityteam.org. It is off of 101 & 13th Street/Old Oakland Road.

When I was very young and my parents divorced we left with nothing. We found them through a Christian friend and they gave us clothes and food on Holidays (Thanksgiving & Christmas). They were a blessing to me, my 3 siblings and mother during our toughest time in need.

So now I am a mommy with kids and I give back to them to help other families in need like we were once.

P.S. You can also get a receipt for Donated Goods to right off during tax time :0)

i know SF is far, but they have 2 great programs sfsmiles.org or the homeless prenatal program : )

1 / 3