Seeking Opinions on Taking Fenugreek to Increase Milk Supply.

Hey Mamas,
A few of you have already recommended Fenugreek to me to help increase my supply while I continue to nurse my son- and I have done a lot of research on it- and it is a toss up between- whether it is safe or not. Since it is an herb it isn't officially approved or banned through the govt. I'm sure my pediatrician wouldn't suggest it, however a lactation consultant has. Who has taken it and were there any side effects? Can you guys tell me some pros and cons about this herb! I have taken a few pills already- just since last night. I picked up a bottle from GNC. I haven't noticed anything yet. Before I continue to take it I wanted some opinions. I have read it usually takes only 24-72 hours for results, so we'll see. Thanks!

Hi, I used Fenugreek and Mothers Milk Tea when my supply had a decrease. It worked for me. I didn't get the maple syrup odor, but the lactaction woman at the hospital recommended it to me. No side effects. Good luck!

My pediatrician recommended boiling fennel seeds (you'll find them in the spice area of grocery stores). Just put some fennel in water, boil it and drink the water. It tastes a bit like tea.

The benefit of it is you do drink more water, which is critical in producing milk. It worked for me and I never worried about it.

And, when I was done using it to increase milk production, I have it as a seasoning for cooking(used in itailian recipes).

D.,

I took Fenugreek when I just had my baby as my milk wasn't coming (my little guy didn't know how to suck).
Lactation consultant told me to take 3 pills of Fenugreek a day and pump, pump after each session as it stimulates production of BM.

HTH

I've taken fenugreek (still am) and I did notice a difference. I needed to take two pills three times a day, along with more water (not drowning myself, an extra glass was enough) I noticed a difference on the third day! the only side effect I had was the maple-y smell to my urine. Aftter about a week, I only take two pills a day to keep it up. I also drink the mother's milk tea, but only because I already have two boxes of it--when I was only using that, no difference. good luck!

Hi D.,
I took Fenugreek while Nursing and found that it works very well ( too well!). And had no side affects. My pediatrician said it was ok and the hospital lacatation consultants said it was fine too. I also used Mothers Milk tea - it is fenugreek free and it has several different safe herbs that helps increase your supply. It is found at Whole Foods in Wheaton or at any health food store. It doesnt work as well at Fenugreek but it does help.
H.

D.,

HTH

D.,
No herbal or vitamin supplements are approved by the FDA - so you're not going to find any recommendations from there. When you are looking for vitamins and herbs, look for a reputable company and find out about their research.

Having said that . .. :-)

I used fenugreek 3 years ago after my son was born as well as soy lecithin - the lecithin helped more than the fenugreek - for both it took a couple of days to see some results (along with drinking more water!).
I am currently pregnant and several of my friends have told me about Mother's Milk Tea as well as Raspberry Leaf tea to help with milk production.

D.,

I took it with great success. My lactation consultant recommended it. I took it short-term when my supply slowed at 3, 6 and 9 months. I recall it taking about 2 weeks when I took 2 pills 3X a day. I also pumped in between nursing for 15 min incements. While no milk would pump initially, eventually I began to produce substantially more milk. I think MODERATION is key. Take it until your body catches up and then gradually decrese. Your urine might smell like maple syrup...that's normal. Good luck!

Hello,

I'm also a nursing momma to a 13 month old boy (and nursed my first boy to 18 months--had to wean early b/c my body couldn't handle both nursing and pregnancy). Since I was working FT with my older son it included lots of pumping. Had trouble keeping up my supply sometimes due in part to a bad cord on my breast pump. I tried lots of things but Fenugreek was the only thing that I had to stop due to side effects. The maple syrup smell in the urine was not bothersome but Fenugreek actually lowered my blood pressure so much that I was lethargic and frequently had dizzy spells (and yes I did go see my doctor and my bp was extremely low). This does not seem to be all that common but just something to be aware of. The absolute best way to increase your supply is frequent feedings at the breast or pumping (with breast being the best, of course). My 13 mos old has never had a bottle (I'm now a SAHM) and he still nurses at least 3 times/day and b4 bed and is still eating solids and gaining/growing well. Hope this helps! All the best to you.

Karen

1 / 3