Seeking Moms That Have/had Gestational Diabetes

I just found out that I have gestational diabetes. Please share your stories with me about your experiences with it (did you need insulin, were you thirsty all the time, was your baby large, did you have to have a c-section, did you have to deliver early, etc...). I am unsure of what to expect. I didn't have it for my first pregnancy. Thank you.

Hi S.! I too had GD when I was preggers with my 3rd. I panicked at first, but then had the best, healthiest pregnancy out of all of them! I didn't have it severely. I stayed on the strict diet they gave me. I only had to test my blood 4 times a day and monitor it. I didn't have to take insulin for any reason. I only put on 6lbs throughout the whole pregnancy, and then lost enough to be 30 lbs lighter than I was when I found out I was pregnant! It was the best thing that could ever have happened to me. All I had to do when I had a tempting moment, was think of the baby and her health, and it all made sense! My baby was the smallest out of all three, too! My middle baby was the biggest (9lb 1oz) and my 3rd was only 7lb 13oz. I was thirsty, and drank diet coke everywhere I went! I did have a c-section, but that was because I had c-sections with my other two! So I knew I was going to have to have one anyway! Ok, I am going on and on now!. Hope this all helps. Just remember that it is all worth it, and to stick to the diet they give you (which my doctor said is the way we should all be eating anyway!). And it will all be ok. At first it sort of takes away all the fun of being pregnant and being able to eat and have a great excuse, but it is WELL worth staying healthy for!

I am a mother of 4 and had it with my last baby.All of my babies were pretty good size they ranged from 8lbs. to 9lbs. I delivered all my children naturally.When I discoverd I tested positive with it they sent me to a special doctor that treats that.I was put on injections and had to watch my diet.You have to watch your carb intake not your actual sugar on labels.I was allowed 30 carbs in the morning 40 at lunch and dinner and 3 15 carb snacks.I was always starving I had lost weight when I went to my actual o.b doctor.But I knew it was for my baby!He ended up weighing 8lb 3 oz. and was very healthy.In the end after baby I weighed in less then I did before I was pregnant and celebrated having the baby with cheese cake.Once you have your baby it is usually over you can go back to normal.Once you do have the condition I was told if I had another child I would have it again.As I look back It was not as bad as it sounded when I was going through it.I just wish I had that control on a normal diet...lol..But don't worry it will work out...Good Luck H.

Hello S.. My name is K. P. I am a 30 year old mother of 4 beautiful children. With my last child I was diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes. But it was the health clinic who diagnosed me. I was having problems with my gall bladder and found out I had gall bladder disease so I decided to see a Pedi. When he looked at my paperwork and it said that I was diagnosed with Gest. Dia. he rechecked me and discovered that I was not. You can always have it rechecked by another doctor if you are worried about it. I had went through the health clinic with my other 3 children and really loved the people at the clinic. I had never tested positive for it before so I wondered with my last baby and I was right. My suggestion is you could always get a second opinion.

Like you ,I didn't have GD with my first pregnancy so I didn't know what to expect. For me, my sugars were high, but borderline so I was able to control it through diet. I met with a dietitian and got a glucose meter and a specialized diet. They hardest part was I had to eat every 2 hours. I had a tough time with the diet at night b/c my husband didn't believe I had a problem and wouldn't give up his starches. So I pretty much made 2 dinners. I already was planning on having a c-section due to previous complications with my first pregnancy and I do not think my baby was large - 8lbs 1 oz.

Do you know if you will have to use insulin?

I had G.D during my pregnancy with my son. As long as you watch your carb intake you should be fine. I had to check my blood sugar 4x's a day for a few weeks. My levels were fine that my doctor told me to check my levels just 2x's. I had my son on time and had a vaginal birth. He weighed 7 lbs, 2 oz and 19" long. I hope this helps. Good luck!

I had GD with my third child and got it under control with diet. I had test 4x's a day and that was kind of a pain, but well worth it. The only thing to keep in mind is when you GD you are at a greater risk of developing diabetes later in life. I actually lost about 10 pounds when I found out about the GD because I had to eat a better diet. My son was big,9lbs 1 oz, and a c-section but all my children were c-sections so that doesn't mean GD had anything to do with it. Just try to relax about it and follow doctors orders, and everything should be fine.

I, personally, did not have it but my mother did when she was pregnant with my baby brother. I can tell you that she did not need insulin but that was because she followed the diet her doctor gave her to a tee.... actually it worked out well for her as she gained no weight during her pregnancy and had an extremely healthy baby. He came out at 8lbs 14oz and she had his completely natural. He was born a few days after his due date and really there were few complications.
She had a positive experience and some great doctors and an awesome support system at home... the most important thing you can do is to follow doctor's orders exactly... eat what and how often he tells you to, test your blood sugar every morning, and go to every appt... All the best to you and your new baby; I'm sure all will be perfect!

I had gestational diabetes. I didn't need insulin, I kept it in check with diet. I had to test my blood sugar 3 times a day. Most of the time it was normal. It was high when I had things like cake at the baby showers (gimme a break, you can't be good all the time). My baby was 7lbs 6.9 oz. I did need a c-section but that was because I wasn't dilating and my water had broken over 24 hours before and the baby's heart rate was dipping. Everything turned out great. Just follow your doctor's orders and eat right.(but you should do those anyway) Good luck. Everything will be fine.

1 / 3