Seeking Moms Advice About Losing Weight Without Paying So Much Money

i would like to know if anyone know the best way or have recipes that is not difficult to result in weight lose. I am thirty one years old and 207lb i am trying to lose weight before the summer. This baby fat has been on me for 13 years now, im tired! i can't afford any programs, so i just need some support on good eating habits.

We mother's really have it hard don't we? LOL However, I began utilizing Leslie Sansone's Walk-Away the pounds DVD's. They come 1,2,3,4 and now a 5 mile walk. Just pop in the DVD and go for it! It is really getting up and moving about. I stopped drinking soda and juices, except for a 2oz glass of orange juice in the morning, very limited sweets....:-( eating habits have to change, that is a must!! Rarely eat fried foods, that was hard but I am doing quite well. When the weather is not too bad outside I will walk at least 3 miles, no less than 3 and I began incorporating some strength training. May not sound like the best but it worked for me.

Wish you the best!

I've been doing the Discovery Health Channel National Body Challenge for 2 weeks now and so far I've lost 6 pounds. It's completely free, all you need is cable that gets that channel and the internet. You get free recipes, workout tips, healthy eating advice, and all kinds of other stuff. At 7 and 7:30am on the Discovery Health Channel they have teamed up with a fitness guy named Gilad who has great workouts that are aerobic and strength training. All you need are a pair or two of hand weights. I got fed up with having to pay for programs that didn't work or they pushed all their "extra" food on me. Everytime I went in for a weigh-in, I felt like I was dealing more with a pushy used car salesman than a deitician. I also bought the Biggest Loser books and they have some great tips and recipes in there. Good luck! I'm fighting the baby weight as well and I'm determined to get my body (what's left of it) back!

Hello, L.,

I have felt overweight for many years, but now I am thinner than I have been since high school. I have tried to completely eliminate high fructose corn syrup and hydrogenated oils from my diet. I feel so much better and have lost 30 pounds. You can eat as many fresh fruits and vegetables as you want. Nancy Appleton's books have helped me, too. Kick the Sugar Habit is one that she wrote. I learned a lot from Juice Plus seminars. They sell a product that is 17 fruits and vegetables dehydrated and in capsule form (no sugar, water, or sodium). The seminars are educational even if you can't afford the product. Good luck!

L.,

I just had a baby 3 months ago, and I'm trying to lose weight too. I have lost 6 pounds since January 3rd... and here's how I'm doing it.

Counting calories is hard... it takes time and effort, and I won't do it. Instead, I changed what we eat. Switch from regular pastas, breads, etc... to whole wheat ones. I have actually found that the new "Ronzoni" pasta has more fiber in it than regular whole wheat... so we eat that instead. Switch from fried to baked or grilled. Make sure that 1/2 of your plate is vegetables. Only 1/4 should be meat, and 1/4 starch. Remember that not all veggies are created equal either: Peas and corn don't really count as veggies, they are very high in starch. Drink lots and lots of water, and try to keep it light on the diet sodas (you do drink diet, right?) Studies have found that diet sodas, although they don't contain sugar, they "trick" your body into treating them like sugar anyway. (Not sure how all that works, it's just what I heard). Drink 3 glasses of milk a day. I also have tried to reduce the red meat in our diet. I try to make at least one fish dinner a week, and at least one meatless meal. I'm not a tofu person, but I have discovered some ways to serve it that are actually good... if you want recipes, email me back and I'll be happy to send you some. When eating veggies, don't use butter or oil on them. Get "I can't believe it's not butter" spray. It has no calories or fat, and tastes great. Buy natural peanut butter instead of regular stuff, it has more healthy fats in it. Buy smucker's low sugar jelly instead of the regular kind... it has no added sugar, but it also has no artificial sweetners. Be careful of your breakfast foods: most cereals, even the "healthy ones" like rasin bran or granola, are loaded with sugar. I like post shredded wheat with bran, lots of fiber, and I mix it with a tablespoon of honey to sweeten it. Special K is also good, with fruit, especially. Protein bars are not a good idea except in moderation, as most of them have lots of sugar and fat. On your other fats, like mayo, sour cream, etc... switch to low fat or fat free. Some things are not good fat free... some are. My basic rule of thumb, if you are eating it mixed in something.. go for fat-free because you won't notice it anyway. If you are eating it the way it is, go for low-fat. I have found that Kraft Free salad dressings are good enough that I can use them even if they don't have any fat. Snack on fruits and veggies... they are awesome. Rice cakes and popcorn are pretty good too. (Of course, watch the fat in the popcorn.)
Need something sweet? Try these: suck a hard candy; make sugar-free pudding with skim milk; sugar-free jello cup; light yogurt. But, if you really are craving a dessert... go ahead - just keep it small. It's better to satisfy the craving than to binge because you can't get what you want.

Most importantly... move! Even if you don't have time for much, just increase your activity as much as you can. Park far away from the store... go for a walk with the kids... go walk the mall... dance around the house while you clean or make dinner.

Losing weight is simple really, move more, eat less and better... voila!

L.....develop some kind of walking routine. And stick with it. Try to somehow to walk an hour a day, just walking. you will be amazed at how by just eliminting most of the junk food from your diet and increasing your wakking time ....will allow you to start dropping those pounds. I walk around my neighborhood streets in laps for an hour as often as I can. You will see the difference by May. Just stick with it. I don't usually walk in the rain but i try to walk even when it is cold. I just layer up and get out.Beats watching hours of worthless TV at night.If your kids can be left an hour or so alone just do laps around your new neighborhood. Or on your days off go to the park, walk 45 minutes in the opposite direction of your car and then walk back. It won't take but maybe an hour and half. 2 of my neighbors lost over 50 pounds each by just walking and watching what they ate. It was incredible. I would like to lose 20 pounds. I lost 10 last year by just walking and now I am starting up again. Good luck

L. -

I think we can all relate to your plight and would love to be able to drop those pounds as quickly as we put them on! I work at home doing medical transcription for an internal medicine doctor who sees patients every day that need to lose weight - literally a matter of life and death when they have out-of-control diabetes, hypertension, etc. The best thing you can do is not "diet" but change your lifestyle. The fastest way to lose it is to avoid carbs, lower your meat portion and load up on fruits and veggies. But your lifestyle change should involve REDUCING PORTION SIZES overall (most important), eat small healthy snacks in between meals and exercise 30-40 minutes 5 days a week (doesn't have to be at a health club - do jumping jacks, walk, etc.) If every woman (and man) stuck with this plan consistently, we would all see a difference!! Give yourself a few months to get used to this and start to see a change, but I can guarantee that over time you will lose that weight and feel healthier too!

E.

I am 38 years old. I recently lost 30 lbs. on weight watchers. I have also been doing Tae-bo every other day and running on my treadmill 2.5 miles on the opposite days. To top that off I quit smoking in August. I haven't gained any weight in fact I am still losing. It is all about setting aside time to do a 30 minute workout and strong will power. Make it a priority in your life and you'll just fall into a routine. Good Luck

Hi L., after having my second child last year, I have lost 45 pounds in 11 months. I have taken it off slowly which is good because it has given me time to get accustomed to a new lifestyle, therefore lessening the chances of gaining it back. I don't deprive myself, if I want something sweet, I eat it but just a couple bites or instead of three scoops of ice cream, one scoop. I have changed almost all of my breads, pastas, etc to 100% whole grain and have lessened the amount I eat of carbs probably to about half of what I use to (I LOVE bread). I found that whole grain spaghetti and bread are really pretty good and don't taste much different and now I actually prefer them over the white. I eat a lot of meat, baked or grilled. My favorite chicken recipe is very simple, it sounds stupid but is very good and moist, put unthawed chicken breast in a glass dish, put water in the dish up to about halfway up the chicken, cut up green onion and put it in to your liking, sprinkle in some onion flakes or cut up fresh onion, then put in a little bit of soy sauce (I'm not a fan of soy sauce usually but it does give the chicken good flavor), then cover the dish with plastic wrap and microwave for about 8 minutes. It is the best tasting chicken, we usually have some rice with it. And best of all it's not fried in butter or grease and it is really juicy.
We also have bought a lot more things that are "low fat" we didn't go fat free because we knew they wouldn't taste real good and we would just be setting ourselves up for failure and would go back to eating like we use to. "low fat" usually tastes more like the real deal, for example, we switched to low fat cottage cheese, low fat deli meats, low fat miracle whip, etc.
My Husband and I also purchased an Elliptical which we absolutely love! We burn 600-700 calories in just a half an hour on it. It is rough to start at first and I can remember starting out and only being able to do 4-6 minutes and thinking damn! That was a workout! ha ha! But as you do it more, it becomes a little easier and a little more tolerable.
A website that I love is Sparkpeople.com. It's totally free to join and they have groups and boards for motivation which is great. You can track the food you are eating which sums up your calories, fat intake, carb intake etc. and shows you what you should be having in order to meet your goals. I highly recommend this site for starting out.

If you have any more questions or would like to chat more, my email is ____@____.com! Good Luck on your weight loss!

A few years back, I lost my baby weight and I'm currently doing some trimming up again. I'm listed under the local businesses with Advocare, which is a co. that sells nutritional products and I've counseled many people on weight loss and getting healthy. There are alot of factors to consider when losing weight. Quick tips. Drink 8-12 glasses of water each day. Try to get enough sleep. Eat plenty of fruits and veggies, whole grains, and non-processed foods. The cooking light cookbook and magazines are some of my favorites. Eat 5-6 small meals of 200-300 calories per day to keep your metabolism up. Excercise!! 3--5 times per week is ideal, but some women can have an all or nothing mentality. If you only get around to it once this week, that's better than nothing at all! Please call me if you'd like more coaching and encouragement. That's what I love to do and am passionate about! I promise not to try to sell you any products unless you ask!
M. S
###-###-####

L., I'd say the biggest factor is wanting to do it for you, not for someone else, and it sounds as though you have reached that point.

I am a huge fan of weight watchers, it helped me lose the pounds after both of my kids. The basic premise is that you can eat anything, but everything has to be in moderation, in the right proportions. Some things, like vegetables, you can eat as much of as you want. Other things, like icecream, need to be an occassional treat.

I understand not having the money for weight loss programs, so here are a couple of things you can do. First of all, keep a journal. Write down everything you eat -- and I mean everything, every little bite you take and the amount of it you are eating -- every day. You might be surprised at how much those little nibbles add up.

Check packages for portion size and stick to a single portion.

Switch to skim milk. Watch what you add to coffee and tea -- that extra cream can really add up. Personally, I try to get as few calories from my beverages as possible -- I'd rather be able to eat :) So, I stick to water, unsweetened tea, diet soda and occassionally a small glass of juice.

If you have time, go for a walk every day. And, personally, right now I am finding no time for exercise, so I know how hard that can be. So, I will sometimes standup and jog in place for a few minutes. Or, I'll do some crunches or leg lifts or something while I'm watching tv. Anything you can do to move a little bit.

Just so you know, I'm not some skinny little person who finds this stuff easy. I'm 5'7" and 150 pounds. I love to eat. I'd love to lose another 10 and maybe after sending this email I'll find the motivation to do it.

So, stick with it -- you can do it!!!! Oh, and as you start losing those pounds, reward yourself with something you like to do and not with food. So, go to a movie, buy a new shirt, take a bubble bath, read a book, whatever you like to do.

Good luck!!!

1 / 3