Seeking Low or Hormone-free Birth Control Options

I just had my 2nd child and am looking for a hormone free or low hormone birth control option. Before I became pregnant I was using the para-guard and was satisfied with it. I went to my 8 week appointment and I was going to try out the mirena just because I really didn't like the spotting I had with the para-guard. When I got to my appointment my ob-gyn tried putting the mirena in but it was extremely painful. Come to find out I have to much scar tissue from the 2 c-sections. Now I have to find a different form of birth control. I'm currently breast feeding so my ob-gyn put me on the mini pill. I don't know if my hormones are still trying to adjust but I fill like an emotional roller coaster. This is the first month that I've been on it but how I'm feeling right now is exactly why I don't want to do hormones when it comes to birth control. My ob-gyn suggested using the nuvaring but my insurance doesn't cover it and my pharmacist said the cost is $50. I can't afford $50 a month so I'm thinking I'll have to continue taking a pill. What low or hormone free birth control options do you moms use? I've thought of using the counting method but my husband is really reluctant to do that. I honestly don't like the emotional roller coaster I experience on the pill. Right now I think I'm done with having children but I'm not ready to do anything permenent just yet. Any ideas or suggestions are welcomed!

There are condoms available called skin. They are a non-latex condom that more closely resemble the feel of skin, making them more comfortable to use. Any type of birth control that you use is going to have some type of side effect. The older you get the more these side effects will affect you. I had used the depo shot when I was younger with no problems. I have recently gone back on it, and now I have been having headaches, random spotting, and weight gain. The doctor said it was because I am older now. Good luck, I know this can be frusterating.

Stephanie L.

Honestly the best no hormone birth control is the latex sleeping bag! It sucks, but it is pretty effective. I don't know if you have tried the other brand of birth control, Yasmin. I have heard that it is a different hormone so it affects women differently. I don't know if they have a mini pill though.

Another book for Natural Family Planning...or whatever it's called is Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler. She calls it Fertility Awareness Method. I'm not sure if that what you mean by the counting method or not. If you mean Rhythm Method, it's not that.

after my first I didn't want to go back on any kind of hormonal birth control... it took us a solid year to get pregnant with her (and I was only 23 at the time!) and I blamed that partly on the hormones in the pill. We opted for condoms and spermicide, which worked well for us. I excpeted the hate the spermicide and I expected it to be really messy, but it wasn't. No yucky messy drippy clean up (well, no more than normal anyway). We even felt okay using it alone without condoms when it wasn't during the time I was (in theory) ovulating (we don't really like condoms much). The only this... you have to be diligent about it. I'm due with an unplanned baby #2 in 6 weeks becuase we skipped it for the sake of spontenaity once while on vacation in Europe. Oops... I think this time around at my postpartum visit I'm going to ask my doctor about a cervical cap or diaphragm to use with the spermicide instead of condoms. Good luck!

I have an 11 month old son that I am still nursing, and have been on the Depo-Provero shot since he was 6 weeks old. It lasts for three months, and takes about 15 minutes in the doctor's office for the injection. My insurance covers all but about $27.00 - not bad for three months of birth control!

I guess I don't understand why you are looking for a hormone free or low hormone option when all of the options you've mentioned except the minipill have as much homone in them as OrthoNovum. I used that particular pill when my second child was 4 months old with no problems. I would be cautious with the mini pill myself as I switched to that after 7 years of the other, on the advice of my doctor, and got pregnant right away. The only other options I see for you are natural family planning which works well if you are willing to put in the time and effort to do it right or condoms.

the mini-pill is progestin only-- a depressant. in my experience, there is no "adjusting" to it. the longer i was on it, the worse i became emotionally and mentally until i was suicidal. finally i had an "ah ha" moment and realized the mini-pill was the culprit. i started getting better immediately after i stopped it. i hate condoms, especially because after the second c-section i developed a latex allergy. but sex is an important part of marriage, so we pay the extra money for the lamb skin condoms so that i won't be in pain and i won't be a mess mentally. it's worth it!

I am with you on the needing no-hormone birth control. Pills, nuva ring, depo provera (a nightmare!) none of these worked for me. I tried the mini pill (progesterone only pill) which totally killed my sex drive (great birth control- I never wanted to have sex) Finally I got a cervical cap, which I love. It's like a diaphragm but more comfortable. And we use a condom when I am ovulating, just to be sure.

Looks like you've received a lot of good answers. I wasn't going to comment, but I noticed the first response mentioned Yasmin, or Yazz, or however you spell it. I just want to give my two sense about that: it made me a different person! I was angry, and my husband and I would fight all the time, and I was a wreck! And during all of this I would think to myself, "who is this person? What have I become?" then I realized it was the birth control. A friend of mine had the exact same response to it. I agree with you about going hormone free - everything I've tried makes me crazy. I don't really know all the techniques of counting, or things like that, but I would say that if your husband doesn't want a "crazy" wife (referring to how I am on bc), I would think that he does need to support you in whatever you feel is right for you! You are a mom and a wife, and you need your health and sanity to be the best you can be, and maybe if you talk to him about that, he will understand - really it's a small sacrifice for putting your health first (sure sex is great, but I wouldn't give up my well being for it) ;). I wish you all the best! And I hope you find something that works for you!

Stephanie L.

1 / 3