Seeking Lotion for Severe Dry Skin

Can anyone recomment a hand lotion for EXTREMELY dry skin? My hands are SO dry, they are cracked and red around the knuckles. Every time I bend my fingers, it feels as if my skin is splitting open. I've tried many lotions, but most only last about 5 minutes before the dry flakes come back and the knuckles start to burn again.

Wow, ladies! There are a lot of wonderful suggestions. I wont' be able to try them all, but I did try a few. Satin Hands is what I had been using. It usually works, but sometimes during the cold winter months, I need something a bit more.
A lot of the over the counter lotions (Eucerin, Neutrogena, Palmers) didn't work.
Apparently the Jo Malone hand cream is VERY popular. I went to Neiman Marcus to get it and was told they were sold out all over Dallas. They gave me some samples to try. It helped, but the best is the Crabtree and Evelyn's 60 Second Fix hand set. My hands have stopped cracking and are on the way to healing and I just bought the stuff yesterday. There are several different "flavors". I'm using La Source, but Gardener's is also nice.

Thanks so much for all the suggestions!

Sounds silly I know, but they have this wonderful hand and elbow creme at Walgreen's called 'say YES to carrots'. I do pottery, so my hands are always dry and tight. This stuff really works for me.

There's a brand called Aquaphor that you can get in grocery or drug stores. It's a really thick rub-on gel.

My husband has the same problem due to his job. He loves the Crabtree and Evelyn 60 second Fix Hand treatment packs. Haha, yes we give him a hard time for getting things from there. IN fact I have to buy it for him, but at this point he'll use whatever works! I have also heard the Mary Kay Satin Hands packs work well.

Hi D.,

I am an Arbonne consultant and we have excellent hand cream. It's the "cure all". All of our products are are hypoallergenic, plant based, free of dyes or chemicals, contain no mineral oil and are not tested on animals. If you use anything that contains mineral oil, basically, you are coated the skin and not healing the skin. You can check out my website for more information www.makana.myarbonne.com. If you have any questions, I would be happy to help!

Aquaphor! My daughter had light ezema when she was just a little meatball, All over her legs and behind and it really helped!
I tend to get dry heels, So I soak in warm (not hot) water with safflower oil in it, then apply aquaphor. BTW< safflower oil is really close to the natural oil your body produces. Some even recommned slathering it on after bathing. I do during the winter and BOY! it makes a huge difference!
I have SUPER sensitive skin and tend to have issues myself so My heart totally goes out to you. Please give it a try, if safflower oil sounds kind of silly, please look it up and read up on it. You'd be suprised what research says it does for your skin. (It's always good to get a second opinion GOD bless GOOGLE!)
Take care D., Congrats on the new miracle in your life and hope this helps you!

Okay this sounds crazy but it works and it is good to have around in the winter time. It is called Bag Balm. It is in a little green tin and I think you can get it at the drugstore. I guy friend gave me some because his grandmother used it on her hands and feet all the time (he thought it was for her Arthritis - so he thinks it helps that). . .whatever. . .anyway, it was original used to soften cow udders to keep them from getting chapped and cracked, etc. Here is the website www.bagbalm.com Look it up it is very interesting. I have used it on my hands, feet and elbows at night and it is amazing how quick it works. Remember how it was and still is where if you wanted to help your nails grow you could buy that stuff called "hard hoof" (horses) I think and wanted your hair to be thicker you could buy that mane and tale stuff for horses and put on your hair. Well, I think this is more true. It really works and is good to have around. The smell is not bad but they could work on making it scented! hehe

You've had alot of what sounds like good advice lotion-wise. In addition to finding a good lotion, be sure to add some Omega-3 oils to your diet. This basically "oils" your skin up from the inside out! If you're totally lacking the essential omega-3 nutrients, your skin will remain forever dry. There are many kinds on the market, easily found at Whole Foods or any health food store. Flax oil and Fish oils are good. Put a teaspoon to a tablespoon in a fruit smoothie, milk shake, yogurt, or any type of fairly creamy food or drink (creamy textures help hide the oiliness). Start off with a teaspoon, and work your way up to a tablespoon 3x a day. (If you add too much too fast, you might get diarhea, so start at 1 tsp 2x a day and build up from there.) Another thing to do is to get flax seeds and grind them in a coffee grinder, then add that to salads, drinks, etc. The omega-3's are higher in freshly ground flax seeds than in oils, but it is more work, so the oils might be your first choice. Also, oily fish (such as salmon or cod) is great to have in your diet 3x a week or more.

My sister has the same type of problem with her heels. She tried many different lotions and even some prescription stuff. A friend told her to try using coconut oil on them and it "heeled" the cracks and is making the thick dead stuff go away.

Sis had this problem for years! and now she has soft feet!

I agree with the gals who say don't use petroleum- or mineral oil- based products. Arbonne doesn't use that stuff so it's a good choice. I don't know about all the other products mentioned.

In the winter I used to get dry hands with accompanying cracks near the edges of the nails, especially on my thumbs. Then I learned to put oil on my hands and put them in rubber gloves before I did any handwashing of pots and pans or cleaning of any type. At first I used mineral oil (worked very well) until I found out it wasn't that good for you. Now I use olive oil (my hands don't absorb it quite as fast, but it has the same effect - soft hands, no bleeding cracks). I'm going to try coconut oil this winter! :)

OOPS! I only meant to write three words: Try coconut oil!

A.

PS I think you can order it online. I got a small sample from my friend to experiment with.

1 / 3