Seeking Info on Boosting Breast Milk Supply

My son is 5 1/2 months old. I went back to work at 3 months. When I started back I was pumping twice a day and getting about 4-5 ounces at each session. I am now at the point where I hardly get anything. I often only get to pump once a day now (around 3 or 3:30) and I only get maybe 2 ounces total. I am getting very discouraged. Does anyone know of any suggestions on how to boost it up? I have heard about herbal tea and such, but I don't know of anyone who has used it or if it works.

Jen

I have a 5 mo old son and am having the exact same problem. If you get any good answers, please let me know! Thank you!

There is this spanish drink called "Malta" you can get it at Publix. I hated it, but it did boost my milk supply. You could try that. You can drink it plain or mix it with milk.
Cathy

Drinking a lot of water would help. Also do not go on a diet. I have heard of fennel tea. I never tried it tough. Good luck.

I have two kids; one is 2 and the other is 11. I am from Colombia. In Colombia breastfeeding mothers drink something called, "agua-panela con leche". It's made with an ingredient called "Panela" that's found in most Publix or Winn-Dixie in the hispanic section Usually with the "Goya" items. It's basically brown sugar that's in the form of a very thick pancake (like a brick). You break the "panela" into 4 equal pieces. You place it in a saucepan over the stove and put on medium heat and then pour whole milk over the "panela". Approximately 2 cups of milk. The "panela" will melt as you stir the pan. You drink it warm to hot. You need to either feed or pump as your drinking or immediately following and in my experience, I had plenty of milk for my kids. Hope it helps!

I used Brewer's yeast. I got it from GNC suppliment store. I helped with my son. It was a suggestion from my mother. My sister-in-law used it too for her hungery son. Hope that can help.

You have probaly heard this already but drinks lots and lots of water. Another way to make the milk flow is to pump one side while nursing on the other side. Just takes a little practice to balance but it helps the milk flow easier. The more you pump or nurse the more milk you will produce. Good luck and try not to give up!
G.

Royal Jelly is the best for loctation!
There is a link where you can order it:
http://www.durhamsbeefarm.com/orderpage.htm?50,11
from 1 to 3 pills per day.
Royal jelly even very good for pregnancy, also for morning sickness during pregnancy, contains 28 minerals and vitamins, give anergy.
V..

Have you tried fenugreek? I heard it works very well to some people. It was a little helpful to me, but not as much as I expected. But at least, it is easy and no harm.

HI,
Eventhough I was a stay at home mom, i had to pump because my daughter would not latch on. I had to pump even if she wasn't eating. There were times I could only get 2 ounces. I had to pump every 2 to 3 hours to boost it back up. Also, she stopped eating as much at night very early, but I was still up at least once in the middle of the night to keep the milk flowing.
I hope this helps.

Hello J.,

As far as I know, the only way to really increase supply is to pump more often. AT first, you'll only get a few ounces, but the volume will increase as you keep pumping. Your body thinks your baby needs more and will produce more as long as it is expressed (ie: the baby is eating). That's how women in olden times breastfed their kids well into toddlerhood.

Your milk production relies upon the laws of supply & demand. The more you pump, the more milk you will have. Make sure you are well hydrated. Also, your milk supply dwindles as the day wears on...oftentimes you are better off trying to pump earlier in the day (although later, even though you get less milk, it is richer---more fat and nutrients). I found that even if I fed my daughter early, before I left for work, I could get a lot of milk if I pumped between 9 and 10 am. I would also try to pump after lunch after replenishing my fluids. There are herbal remedies, but the real key is pumping more and staying hydrated. At first you won't get more milk when you pump, but if you continue, within a few days your milk supply will start coming back. I know it is not easy, believe me, very challenging, but if you can manage, it is the best for the baby.

1 / 3