Seeking Inexpensive, Quality Vision Care

One of my children failed her eye screening this past fall. I took her to Dr. Shannon in Allen and I really liked her. While we were there, she also screened my other two children. Although they passed the school test, her screening shows they need correction. I need to get the other two taken care of, but money is a big issue right now. Dr. Shannon was great, but she costs $90 for her eye exams. Then I had to spend another couple of hundred at the mall on the glasses.

I would like to know of any experiences with places like Walmart or Sam's. They are about half the price for exams, but I don't want to sacrifice quality. Also, do these places have a good selection of frames for children?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Hello there K.,
If you want free eye examinations for your children, you can go to "LightHouse for the Blind." It's a program in Texas that gives free eye examinations to families that can't afford it. All you have to do is fill out a form and they will send you to a participating optom. O.D. or an ophthalmologist. If glasses is needed, they will also provide that free of charge.Sam's and Wal-mart makes ok glasses if the prescription is easy, meaning no high astigmatism.. What people don't know is that you do not have to be license to be an optician or own an optical shop here in Texas-so making sure your glasses is made correctly is pretty important. Think about it-a person have to be license here in Tx to cut your hair (hair-cut 15.00 bucks)but a person doesn't have to be licensed to sell you a pair of glasses (glasses 150.00 - 200.00 bucks)Go figure..When you have your children glasses made, just bring them (glasses) back to your eye doctor so they can check to see if it's made right.Another no no, never never buy a pair of glasses on line either. The price is tempting though. Just a F.Y.I. I know alot about eyes because I work for a very large group of ophthalmologists.. Good luck..

I'm not sure where you are, but I took my 8 yr old to Sam's in Plano off of Spring Creek. Dr. Frank Bazan, O.D. is the optometrist's name and he is awesome! I paid $57 for the exam and $120 for the glasses.

Bless your heart, 10 yr old triplets!!! I have 3 boys,6,7,and 9.5. I've gotten glasses @ Sam's & Target....never a problem. Doctor's exam pretty much the same across the board. and frames are frames....especially since my oldest got his in January and has already lost them. Something to consider. Best of Luck

Not to preach, but "you get what you pay for" especially in the glasses area. I tried Sam's for my glasses and after 3 tries, they still weren't right. This is not the place to scrimp. Most optometrists will do the job, but the actual glasses are the difference. This can effect the kids performance in so many areas. I hope you can get the right fit for your budget. Nana

1 / 3