Seeking Ideas for a Quick Easy Delicious Lunch That Can Be Packed for School.

Hello Mamasource Community,

I need your help. We are in the process of evaluating schools for our son and the school that we like does not provide breakfast or lunch. I am petrified at the idea of having to pack a lunch everyday, it's almost a dealbreaker. I barley make it to work now by 8:30 am and that is with my husband dressing our son. Please provide some ideas/recipes for a quick lunch that can be packed besides a sandwich. I want to steer away from the lunchables and those frozen kiddy dinners too. You input will be greatly appreciated.

Sometimes I make a big thing of rice early in the week and my son gets a scoop of rice and beans (from a jar) plus maybe a hardboiled egg, leftover ham if we have it or just some cheese. He loves any combination of the above, and I love it cause it's so easy to prepare for his lunch.

For sandwiches, pb&j, tunafish, grilled cheese (still good cold I think)

Hi -- I didn't see anyone leave this suggestion: is there a fridge or pantry at the school that you can leave things in? That way, you can pack a bunch of stuff on Sunday night so if you are really stuck one morning, you'll have a backup. You can pack little containers of applesauce and pudding, crackers, cheese, bananas, etc.

I had seen this article in Parents magazine in sept 2008, and clipped it. Great pics and ideas..

http://www.parents.com/recipes/cooking/kid-friendly-food/...

Applegate farms makes a great hot dog that is precooked. Pasta salad, tuna burgers, chicken burgers, veggie nuggets, egg salad, crackers, yogurt, bagel and cream cheese, baby carrots with dip, cheese and crackers with fruit, applesauce, granola bars, chips and salsa, wraps/pinwheels, fruit salad, soup in a thermos, meatballs, pizza, pita pockets filled with anything he likes, grapes in a baggie, berries, raisins, celery and peanut butter, french toast sticks, waffle sandwich, oatmeal,

Honestly, I think you should consider an au pair, then the au pair can make the meals for him and do his laundry, drop off/pick up, set up playdates and give you a break, allowing you to enjoy your time with your son. www.culturalcare.com
Free to apply until June 15th. Ask me how.

-I used to make for my 3 year olds creppes filled with whatever you want, cheese, grape jam, fruit, sour cream with pieces of bologna.

-chicken nuggets with sweet potato fries
-1 boiled egg, string cheese, carrots, a slice of bread (if he's a bread eater), some fruit

-a night before you can make mashed potaoes mixed with peas and pieces of chicken

-of course, sandwich :)

as for breakfast, i wouldn't send him off to school without eating anything. You can make him a bowl of dinosaur eggs. or a waffle with honey and fruit. or a fruit smoothie. anything to get him started. you can't really know whether he'll eat at daycare or not or if he does if it is enough. one of my daughters was and is still a poor eater because of the time she takes in between talking, laughing, watching others. and she used to spend a couple of hrs in the afternoon crying in school because she was hungry, and she had missed her meal. so i always made sure she had a healthy breakfast, and the things i packed for her offered protein, carbs, and fiber.
good luck

Depends on if you have a peanut free school. My twins love peanut butter and jelly sandwiches (or peanut butter and fluff). They will also eat turkey or ham sandwiches. Sometimes we put Mac & Cheese in a thermos for them too. If we have leftover chicken, we'll give them that. We have an insulated lunch bag and put an ice pack in there. Their school happens to have a microwave so we could heat food, but usually they eat it cold (unless in thermos, where it stays warm). We also give them a snack... either fruit, string cheese, crackers, pretzels, etc... and our lunch bags came with a water bottle so we give them water (or propel water) or juice box too.

Well lucky for you kids are creatures of habit. Thats why they like the same tv shows over and over and over. UGH They will also eat their favorite lunch over and over and over. One of my sons ate a baloney sandwich every day for 5 years. Really. If I dared to give him something else he had a fit and wouldnt eat it. He did like lettuce and tomato on it so I didnt feel so guilty and he liked the little fruit or applesauce cups too.
So find a few favorite sandwiches he likes and make them the night before. At his age a half a sandwich will probably be more than enough with fruit.

Our school does not provide meals either, but they do warm up the food we send. I mostly send whatever we had for dinner the night before. My son is somewhat a picky eater, no sandwiches or cold food. I mostly send rice and chicken or steak, I make abc pasta with chicken. They also started a program with a local pizzaria and we signed up for it, so he gets pizza every wednesday, and once a week I send chicken nuggets (mostly as an emergency option). Pack it the night before so you don't have to rush in the morning. It's not that bad at all. I pack lunch and two snacks, one juice box, and water. The school provides snacks, but all the kids also bring their own, so cut up fruits, teddy grahms, yogurt...

Why don't you prepare his lunch the night before so you don't have to worry about it in the morning?

1 / 3