Seeking Help with Toddler Constipation/upset Tummy

My 2 1/2 year old daughter seems to have an ongoing battle with constipation. When it hits, she'll struggle for hours and sometimes on and off for days (sometimes not sleeping well at night) before we get results. She is very active and we've been treating it mainly with fluids, fiber, bran, and mixing mineral oil into some of her foods. These work, but then a few days later we'll fall right back into a cycle of struggling. This has been going on for several months and I don't want her to suffer with this anymore. Has anyone had experience with anything like this? I would appreciate any suggestions you may have. Thank you!

S.,

I have been having the same problem with my 21 month old daughter. I have also been trying to work with her diet with no constant luck in relieving the constipation completly. I have tried to cut back on her intake of milk and cheese and substitute with water and more of the "p" foods (pears, peaches, peas). It works for the day and then we are right back to the hard BM's. You're not alone. I too am looking for help with this situation.

A little about me:
I am a 29 year old mom of two beautiful girls that are 1.5 and 3.5 years old.

I had the same problem with one of my daughters. We use flaxseed oil instead of mineral oil daily in her oatmeal and it help tremendously. It has many nutritional benefits unlike mineral oil which just coats the intestines, flax seed oil has lignans and lots of Omega fatty acids which help with brain function, stronger hair and nails, and any skin issues like eczema. It really is a terrific thing for everyone to use.

Hope this helps,

G.~~~

My daughter was the same and was on mineral oil, miralax and enulose. Nothing worked. We finally potty trained her at 2.5 years and have't had a problem since. Maybe the sensation of being messy in her diaper was her problem--guess I'll never really know.

I was going back and forth with my 2 1/2 year old son for a while with this. I just makes sure he has OJ everyday. Totally loosened him up. It's the only thing I'll give him in a "big boy" cup (cause it doesn't stain as bad) and he loves it cause it's not in a sippy cup. If he doesn't have any for a day or two -he backs up again. Good luck!

Oh- and I can't believe you asked about constipation and got a lecture about daycare. (response toward the middle of the page) People like that need to mind their own business.

My child suffered from this and still does on occation...I keep her away from white foods... White foods tend to be made of flour and water, which make a paste and bind in our colons.. I also give her more water and fruit.. This should help regulate her.. My daughter is now ten, she struggled with this since birth.. The no white foods realy does work!!! Good luck!!

H. P

Just wondering if you've had her tested for allergies? Sometimes a food allergy will prompt the upset stomach. Check with your doctor. There are so many allergies today because of the processed food we eat, allergies seem to be more prevalent in today's society. Milk, wheat, nuts are big causes. Try to eliminate these foods and see how you child does.

I had the same problem with my 4 year old little girl. Like you had said, trouble sleeping and complaining of a stomach ache. I thought she was trying to get attention. But finally after a week of no sleep. I called her physican and discussed it with her. We had already tried prune juice and grapes. But that didn't work. So, she suggested Mirlax, a product that you can purchase at a drug store. That same day her stomach ache was gone and we haven't had any trouble since. You put it right in their juice. I would discuss it first with your physican, but it worked great for us. Good luck!!!

A little about me:

I am 29 year-lad mom of 3 kids, 6,4, and 2. My husband and I work full-time and have been marriend for 7 years. Today is my 2 year olds birthday, how time flies!!!!!!!!

Hi S. have you tried eliminating Dairy products?
we had this problem with my son for years and had to get rid of milk. also every day I put a tablespoon of mineral oil in a glass of juice.... It did get better when he was around 5 or 6. Hope this helps!!!

We've had similar issues with my 3 1/2 year old son. What seems to work for us is alteration of diet and adding Benefiber to his morning milk. In addition to that, we have also begun to mix Flax Seed Meal in to many of our dishes. The entire family is more regular and our son has eliminated almost all of his struggles.

You will find that consitency is extremely important. You will need to find a solution that works and not break from that. You can run into serious trouble when constipation goes untreated or treated intermitantly. Stay on top of it and continue to suppliment with fiber and flax (or other natural oils) even when it seems like your daughter is doing better.

take her to a pediatric gastroenterologist.. you may have to give her a daily dose of metamucil or something similar. Good luck, I've had problems my entire life, it's not fun..

My daughter had the same problem. We concentrated on her diet from 1 yr old-2 1/2. And if we didn't get the fiber and/or liquids just right we were back at square one with her struggling. Then along came potty training which constipated her more. I finally told her doctor that nothing was working and we needed to treat it medically. He said that we needed to get her used to normal soft bowel movements and have her adjust to that sensation. It was a while ago, so I can't remember what he prescribed her, but it was like benefiber. You mixed it with water (or clear liquid) and it would make her go. Once it started working, I cut the dosage down gradually until she didn't need it anymore. From start to finish the process took maybe two months. That was two years ago. She's been fine since. Go and talk to her doctor. She shouldn't have to suffer like that. I hope this was helpful.
S. S.

1 / 3