Seeking Help with Pregnancy Rash on Face

I am pregnant with my 3rd child now and I have this rash around my mouth that i can't seem to get rid of. When I was pregnant with my second child I had the same rash that wouldn't go away until after I had her and then my skin was back to its clear self again, but now I am so frustrated on what to do. I am so self conscious about going into public feeling people are looking at my face and I don't want to just add creams to see what works. The rash seems to go down in the evening time and when I wake up in the morning but when I bath or use any water it only flares up again, keep in mind I have tried not washing my face or using my bathing soap (I only use natural oatmeal soap) for a few days with only just running water on my face and even that doesn't help but only makes the rash more red. Are there any women who have encountered this before? PLEASE HELP, I have five more months of pregnancy to go and just can't sit and wait until the birth of my child for my skin to clear up.

I want to thank everyone for their advice and encouragement to me for my rash that i am dealing with. I found a very good product at Whole foods that works very well and its all natural ingredients (no chemicals). Its gradually going away with time and attention so it doesn't even appear noticeable anymore so thank you all for your support. I love this site with other mothers and women who care.

I have been reading about rashes on the face because I have eczema, and it too seens to be affected by water. I thought that it was just another come-on when I was told to rub the inside of a bananna peel in the rase, but it worked. What have you got to lose? you can always eat the bannana.
Good luck! Jeannine

Try Cetaphil cleanser and lotion. I have rosacea and it helps me. I use in on my 2 year old as a cleanser. It's very gentle, safe and avaialable at the drugstore. You might want to see a dematologist. Mine recommeded it to me.

OMG, DON'T try proactive-you're not supposed to use that stuff when you're pregnant-it's dangerous...you have to watch out for these relentless salespeople, that's the only bad thing about this site. Call your dr. and only do what he/she recommends.

This happened with my second baby. My kids are just about the same age as yours, btw (4 and 19mos.). I saw my dermatologist and she said it was a type of dermatitis and the pregnancy seems to make it flare up. She prescribed an erythromyciyn ointment that was safe to use while I was preggers. It took a couple of weeks of using it twice a day, but my skin returned to normal and has looked great since. Get in to see a dermatologist and don't buy things just to try. Get a diagnosis and get the right thing. We have plenty of things to spend money on (like college!). Good luck.

P.

I can sympathize with you, although I'm not a doctor and have no quick fix remedy :( I just wanted to share with you my experience. About two years ago I developed a rash around my mouth and for the life of me could not figure out why. I eventually went to the doctor, and she said it was my Chapstick. I thought she was crazy because I've been using the Chapstick with the black label for years, and this had never happened, but then realized when I ran out I started using two other brands in the interim. My doctor said to stop using any kind of lip anything for a whole week, and no licking my lips! told her I would die if I couldn't put anything on my lips because they are so dry (I'm the girl you see around town with a chapstick on her keychain, applying it every 15 minutes) and she assured me I wouldn't. I took her advice, and even though it was really hard to do, I made it through it. She said to reintroduce the lip brands one at a time, and I narrowed it down to either the new Burt's Bee's stuff or the Carmex I had been using. Thankfully it wasn't my trustee Chapstick. LOL Anyway, you're probably wondering why I'm telling you this, since yours is clearly pregnancy related, but I just wanted to share. I had forgot about the other two lip products I was using, because they were a temporary fix but thought about it later. I'm not saying this would be your situation, but I feel like any and all information can't hurt! Good luck with that!

P.S. I was interested to read what the other mom's thought, and noticed that one mom suggested petroleum jelly. You are free to do as you please, of course, but thought I'd share another interesting piece of information. When I was in dental school, one thing I learned really amazed me. Petroleum jelly (Vaseline, etc..) is not water soluble. Therefore, while it protects the skin, and acts as a barrier, it is also a breeding ground for germs, microorganisms, etc... because they are basically "stuck" and if you are using it on an open sore, or lesion, well, you're asking for trouble. I used to love to use petroleum jelly on things, thinking it was safe, but that section of class really opened my eyes. I know most if not all doctors will agree that using petroleum jelly on an open sore is more harmful than good, and even though you have a rash and might not think you have any lesions, every time you open and then close your mouth, you open tiny little tears into it, not visible to the eye. If you are still skeptical, try this at home: rub some petroleum jelly onto your hands, kind of like lotion. Then run your hands under water. You will notice the water beads up, as it can not penetrate the hands directly. It seems like that would be good, but like I said, mix some germs and bacteria in there, and they’re there to stay. Also, to get it off, you would almost have to virtually scrub your skin raw (or use a good salt or sugar scrub) to get it off of your hands. Doing that to an area of your skin that is already problematic, would cause more irritation, if not tears. Sorry for going on so long about this, I just wanted to express my strong opinion against using the p.j. on anything but un-cracked feet.  Thanks for listening, and again, good luck!!

Sorry to hear, I feel you! I had the same thing happen to me when I was pregnant. I actually went to urgent care because at one point, I felt that my face was on fire. The doctor on site couldn't figure it out as he didn't know what to give me since I was pregnant and he called my ob/gyn and because it was the weekend and really, not urgent, I couldn't get in to see my doc until the following week. So, I went to Rite Aid and got Cetaphil cleanser and the lotion for sensitive skin and OMG, it worked! My face stopped burning and it took a day or two to get rid of the redness. Because of this, I also had to change my make-up, but it was all worth it. Good luck.

I am sorry to say this, but that rash you have I believe is caused by hormones. I too got a rash around my mouth (red, bumpy and kind of dry) at the end of the pregnancy and I had it until about a month after I gave birth. I have never had a rash on my face before ever. I tried everything. The only thing that worked enough so I at least could conceal it was to put Neutrogena hand creme on first, then concealer.

Those hormones aren't good! I think also a lot of it is just "system overload". The organs get squeezed and are just not able to do as good a job as normal to rid toxins from the system. The result is that the skin (also an elimination organ) takes over some of the job from the kidneys and the liver. Eating less sugar and other acid-creating foods will also help. (Do a google search on alkalizing food and you'll know what I mean).

Ok Please help me, what was the product from whole foods??? I am almost five months pregnant with my fourth child and have never experienced this before, my rash is exactly how you explained yours and I have tried it all!!! I don't live anywhere near a whole foods but my mom does and would ship it to me asap...Please, please,please

Try Rescue Remedy cream available at Whole Foods market. It comes in a yellow tube. It is a very gentle bach flower remedy cream that has cleared up all the rashes in my family. (It might sting at first but bear with it, it soon fades.) It is non greasy and quickly absorbs into the skin. Also I wouldn't use oatmeal soap, look for a cream based cleanser at Whole foods. One without any perfumes.

1 / 3