Seeking Help from First Grade Bullies

My grandaughter is six years old and just started in the first grade. She already has a little girl who is physically bigger than her bullying her. I want my grandaughter to learn how to handle these types of situations since they more than likely will happen at various times throughout her school life. I want her to learn how to address these issues in a positive way. If anyone has any guidance to give I would greatly appreciate it.

I would like to thank all of you lovely ladies for taking the time to email you encouraging and helpful thoughts. I printed them all out and gave them to my daughter. She and her husband on actively working with the school and also teaching my granddaughter how to handle these type of children. Kerrie wrote to say that this not only will help the child being bullied but also the child who is the bullier. Such a behavior can be devasting for both on a long term basis. This is a serious issue and some might say they are just kids but in our childhood is where stuff happens that may take us a lifetime to get rid of. Once again I thank you all and I am so very grateful for this website. The response has been overwhelming and very beneficial. Have a blessed day

I wouldn't expect a child to handle this herself. I had the same problem last year, talk to the teacher about the school's buyling polocy that should egt the teacher going if it doesnt then go above ehr ehad but whatever you decide to do please don't expect the child to handle this herself.

If the school won't deal with it then there really isn't much you can do. Bullying can be awful for a child and traumatizing. It can lead to a child feeling isolated. You can always try her in a cyber school till she gets more confident about herself. www.k12.com Sometimes kids pick on the less confident children, and this only makes them less confident. Its a bad situation for a child to be in. Most times the schools don't care.

My daughter has also been dealing with a bully off and on since she was in first grade. She is in third grade this year. My daughter stands up to the bully. She tells this girl that she hates bullies and then she walks away.

Tell your granddaughter that she must tell a teacher about this bully immediately.

I do suggest you give the teacher aheads up. Do NOT let it go or wait it out take care of it right away. Hopefully you grandaughter can find a friend that can be there for her. Good luck, I have been thru this with one of my children and it is heartbreaking for a child to go thru. My child had to end up sticking up for himself after he was physically pushed and when he finally pushed back it stopped and I was totally against any type of fighting but push came to shove. This is not always the answer especially in a girls case.

In every school (i believe) there is a no bullying policy! Ever since columbine happened. Your grand-daughter should go straight to the teacher or bus driver or whomever is close by whenever something happens. You also should make a phone call to the school principal and counselor to make them aware of the situation. They should inturn speak to the bully and your grand-daughter and come to a conclusion. If you find nothing happens after that than you should go directly to the superintendent of the school. I hope this helps and good luck

It is imperative that you get her teacher and counselor involved NOW. First grade is much too young to expect a child to have the tools to combat bullying themselves. Of course you want her to learn how to handle these situations...and the way to handle it at this age is to let the adults in her life know what is happening and to expect them to help her. Her counselor and teacher will help her to know what to say to the bully. This is a big issue in schools these days (I also have a first grader.)They recognize that it is a problem and are doing more than ever to stop bullying. Hopefully your school is on board with this.

Please do it soon though--bullying can crush confidence and self-esteem.

They are not developed some times enough to defend them selves I had the same problem ---hitting with a book bad and other stuff going on so i went to the school about it and the teacher talked to the little girl (all sh eknow from home life) and now they go to each others parties and are friends. jade

Check out the bullying policies at school. I know my son's school is strongly against it and I would nip it in the bud now before it gets any worse. No kids should have to put up with that and it hurts their self esteem. Talk to your grand daughters teacher and maybe she can observe and stop it.

1 / 3