Seeking Feedback Re: "Potty Training in One-Day"

I recently purchased a book on how to potty train your child in one day. I have also discovered that Dr. Phil believes and endorses this same theory, that a child can be potty trained in one day. Has anyone tried the method and if so, can you share your experience?

I kept waiting for my son to be ready but by 3 and 3 months (and preschool 2 weeks away) I was done waiting for him. I got this book and the doll. It was an intense experience, but it worked! I did nothing but potty train that day. No cleaning, cooking, talking on the phone, errands, etc. We potty trained and played all day. By noon, we went through 20 undies and I was ready to give up. It was extremely hard not to show frustration. But, it was as if something clicked because after noon, he only had one accident. The following day he had 7 or so accidents and by day 4 he was accident free.

I did my best to follow the method exactly, but the doll part didn't work. My son became jealous and angry towards it so we put it away. So, don't worry if you don't follow it 100%. It can still work. It's a lot of work and frustration, but it feels great to be done with diapers.

You have some great responses, so I will make mine quick. I also bought the book. I am not very consistant personally :) I took the many great tips out of the book and used them. It didn't take long, but I didn't try for a day because I didn't want to be disappointed. My girl is very determined and I think maybe we could easily do it. We used M&M's for rewards and they work great! Hope this helps. Good luck.

I have never heard of this, but would love more information on it. I keep hearing that you will know when they are ready, but my son could care less. He will be 3 in May. I have also tried and got the same respond.

I borrowed that book from the library a couple months ago, my son is now potty trained, need I say more? No seriously, my son was over 3 years old and I had tried many times unsuccessfully to potty train him. I was getting desperate and decided to read the book, after all what could it hurt. Although I did not follow the book's directions 100%, I took a lot of the ideas that I thought would really help my son. One Saturday my daughter was with her grandmother and I stayed home with my son to really concentrate on the potty training. Ever since then he has been in underwear except at night. That is not to say he hasn't had any accidents, that is normal, but we definitely took a huge giant step in to being potty trained that day!!! Good luck to you.

I debated potty training in one day. Then I found this book "On Becoming Potty Wise for Toddlers" by Gary Ezzo. It gives three (maybe four) different options for potty training, including the potty training in one day. He suggests that you look at the 3 different methods and find which one is tailored for your family. If you potty train in one day, you have to be able to take the entire day to simply go back and forth from the potty to the juice box and the treat jar (or whatever you use for a reward). He also stresses that you should really take two days or even three and do that because some kids, especially boys, need a little more reinforcement than just one day. Also, you need one very key component for it to work: your child must respond obediently when you tell him to do something. If you are dealing with power struggles and authority issues then the one day method will not work. I ended up doing our potty training over a three month period (which was one of the options) only because we were in the midst of transition. Oh, the other important factor is that your child has learned to sit still for a few moments. If your child is not willing to sit, then the one day method won't work. Hope this helps!

I used this book with my son when he was 2 1/2, after having it recommended to me by several people. It was an awesome book. It actually took about a week for him to be fully potty trained (he still wore pull-ups at night because he would typically sleep 10-11 hours).

In hind sight, I realize that I was the one that held up the progress. I did prompt him rather than letting him do it himself and it actually lengthened the process. Follow the book and you will do well.

First let me warn you I took the day off on a long weekend and there were a lot of blood, sweat and tears and not all the tears belonged to my 3 year old daughter that weekend. I used the method that involved having your child train a doll (Emma and Paul dolls) and focus all the attention on the doll etc. in the morning and then have a "party" pumping your child full of liquids so they can practice and have a big surprise/prize at the end for a successful day. It was potty videos all day, very short games, working with the doll, potty training books etc. in the bathroom to read while waiting.

It wasn't 100% successful but what it taught us was that my daughter could control going when she wanted to (she went the first day when Dora sheets were the big prize), we had to let her know she was NOT going back to pull-ups during the day if there was an accident unlike the other times we had half hearted tried to potty train her, and we realized we had to keep constant motivation there other than stickers and M&Ms. One mom gave the best phrase you have to "find your child's currency". For our daughter we said she couldn't watch Dora or her shows until after she went to the bathroom. This gave her a big incentive to go and by a week she was going at home very consistently. For school we are finally breaking thru. She has to wear underwear and if she goes on herself she has to change herself. We have also offered for example an exciting big-girl outing to a museum if she goes at both school and home for a few days in a row and this week new underwear (in addition to M&Ms and lots of praise). So far we have a breakthru at school now. I know people say children will go when they are ready but for my daughter I have to say if we hadn't pushed her and found the right combination of incentive and making it darned inconvenient to her life if she didn't use the potty, she would still be in diapers now.

Please do not believe what that books says. I had twins and tried but I have learned, as many told me, when your little one is ready he/she will go. Try not to push to hard or they might go the opposite way that you would like. Also, I found that letting my twins pick out thier own underware made them more excited to want to ware them. Hope this was helpful.
The MOM Team, Helping Moms Stay Home
www.cheerforyourfuture.com

I tried that method with my son when he was 3 years old. However, he was not ready. I really knew he wasn't, but I convinced myself he would be. After a failed day, I decided to just relax and wait for him to express interest. I am happy to say that at 3 1/2, he was potty trained, and it was only 3 weeks between the very first time he went on the potty and the day we had no diapers in the house. He never used pull-ups. Don't feel pressured. Few boys are trained before 3. I have so many friends who jumped at the first opportunity to train, and they dealt with pull-ups and potty training for 9 months. No thank you! My daughter is interested at 22 months, but I am waiting for her to be very ready before we really start. Good luck!

1 / 3