Seeking Doula or Mid-wife

I'm thinking about using a Doulah or Mid-wife for my delivery and was wondering if anyone has reccomendations for or agains this route.

FOR FOR FOR! Both are WONDERFUL.....I wish all women could have doulas for support and Midwives are such a great way to go for a provider.

I am also a single mom and had the most wonderful experience with a woman who teaches a hypnobirthing class and is also a doula. She has an extensive background in early childhood and she is just lovely. Her name is Trisha Fitzgerald ###-###-#### www.gentlebeginninginlife.com.

I actually went into preterm labor and could not fully use her help but she was so gracious and wonderful afterwards.

Hi J..
I just delivered my first baby at prentice 7 weeks ago. I go to the Northwestern memorial physicians group and see the midwives. I absolutely love sara eggemeirer. She helped me deliver my son naturally after 34 hours!

J., there are three midwife groups at West Suburban in Oak Park that I hear rave reviews about. Pam Hays was our backup doula. We only met her once, but loved her. Our doula was Rachel Wickersham, and we loved her too. Inteview a few to find one you connect with. Try the DONA website for names and locations. Good luck!

Hi J.. I'm also a single mother, and I love it. I delivered with my mom in the delivery room with me, then spent the first two weeks at her house. Though it's exhausting, it was a fantastic time, and I've enjoyed every moment of being a single mom. My son's 16 months old today, and we have had a fantastic time as just the two of us. A supportive family and friends are important, and make sure you do ask for help when you need it. Don't let people scare you too much about single mom-dom. It is wonderful. Contact me if you have any questions, or just want to talk to someone who's been there. Good luck, and have fun!
--C.

DO use a midwife, I did it with my daughter and could not have been happier with the whole thing! I used Midwest Midwifery out of Alexian brothers for my daughter, but Im thinking of changing to West Suburban midwives for this baby, because our insurance changed. I highly recommend the ladies at Midwest, and I go to West Suburban on the 22nd to meet them, so I can let you know what l think of them later. Please feel free to message me if you want to know more!
I LOVE my midwives!

J.:

check at www.birthlink.com

for a doula: www.birthways.com

P., RLC, IBCLC
Breastfeeding and Parenting Solutions

I highly recommend choosing a midwife, as well. Their approach to the delivery is to support you, while looking out for the health of the baby, but they do not treat pregnancy as a medical condition but a natural process.

I worked at UIC and went to the Midwife group there. The good part about the group is they work in the hospital alongside OBs and have all of the same resources available in case of complications, but have the freedom to take their own approach. I chose to have a natural birth but wanted a hospital birth in case medical intervention was neeeded - which it was as my daughter had respiratory complications at delivery and needed to be treated by the neonatologist immediately after birth and was admitted to the NICU.

I absolutely LOVED my midwife, Lin Schaye (someone actually mentioned her earlier). She is very knowledgeable and passionate about caring for women and was a wonderful support for me throughout my pregnancy and was essential during labor. Her calm and maternal manner were just what I needed to help me through a very long labor (30 hours in hospital).

A doula sounds like a good choice for you, as well. My husband is a physician and was very comfortable with the physical aspects of labor and really wanted to be involved so we chose to take Bradley Birthing classes. If you have a close friend or relative who would like to be involved in the labor, this would be a great option for you both. The class is very focused on a "team approach" to labor and teaching your birthing partner how to support you. Even if you do not plan to have a natural birth (which Bradley strongly advocates) it is useful to take a class to learn how to manage pain (even medicated deliveries are not entirely pain free) and different options that are available to you. The best part is that everything is practiced during the class so you can figure out what labor positions, pain-relief techniques and other options work for you and your partner is familiar with all of it so during the stress of labor they know exactly what to do.

Congratulations and best of luck!

I have nothing but positive feedback for you regarding both midwives and birth doulas. I used both for my pregnancies, and they were fantastic! I used West Suurban Midwives Association in Oak Park, and my doula was P. Hays. She's on the DONA (doulas of north america) website. Really, this is the way to go. A woman's body is designed for birth, and we don't need any OB interfering or telling us what our bodies can or can't do.
Best of luck to you!

1 / 3