Seeking Comfort Gifts for Soemone Who Has Breast Cancer

Hi
MY mother-in law is undergoing radiation for breast cancer and i would like to give her a gift to comfort her or help her feel better.Thinking of one of those wool wrapped hot water bottles from Garnet Hill. Any suggestions?
P.

What caring loving thoughtful replies!Lots of great ideas and support...thank you mamas....you are the best!
P.

The Peaceful Company has a 12% discount today and tomorrow on their products. They have lavender robes, slippers, next pillows, etc. http://www.peacefulcompany.com/detail.aspx?ID=5221

wool? it's ITCHY! Get flannel or knit or fleece, something that feels good against skin.

I filled a large unused sock of my husband's with rice to use as one of those microwave heat packs - we LOVE it but I am never ever ever going to use a wool sock again!!!!!

I plan on sewing some bags or tubes and filling them with dry grains for heat packs, they are so very nice! In comfy fabrics, NOT wool! ;-)

Hi P.,

She is probably cold all the time. I bought a friend of mine that had breast cancer a farinfared blanket and she would sit around the house with it wrapped around her and sleep with it. Sher said she felt better when she was wrapped in it.

I wish your mother in law a healthy recovery. Give her support and advise her to keep her spirits up and have happy thoughts everyday to help her in her healing process.

You may check out the site for more informtion.

www.nikken.com/ninamarie

Have a happy and safe holiday,

N. Marie

Hi P.. My mom passed away just two weeks ago from lung cancer. :( She wanted comfy pajamas and socks/slippers. You might also look on the American Cancer Society's website. Also, making her some 'comfort' foods is really nice. My husband made a big pot of chicken soup, and then froze some of it into smaller batches. Radiation will really wear her out. I also gave my mom a pedicure when she started hospice. She loved it. What ever you can do to keep her spirits up will help!
Best of luck to you and your family. CANCER SUCKS!!!!

I gave my girlfriend who had breast cancer a teapot for one with a box of nice tea. She likes to drink tea and so I thought this would be nice for her to have a quiet moment and read a book or relax from it all.
good luck

I noticed a friend's bracelet on day and loved it. Then someone else come into the bookclub with the same bracelet. Ends up it's a fundraiser for cancer. 4 days later I found out my Dad had cancer. (coincidence?) I ordered them for myself, mom and sister right away, and have give them to patients and their family members several times.

Not a comfort gift, but might pick up the spirits of your MIL and others in your family.

www.friendsofmel.org the bracelets

My mother went through this last year. I supported her as much as I could. I had long beautiful curly hair, and always got compliments on it. When I took my mother to select a wig (she lost her hair w/Chemo), I promissed to donate my hair if the Cancer Society would give her a human hair wig. The synthetic ones made her scalp itch. I kept my promise. I had my mother join me for the event. She held my hand and I know she felt incredibly supported when I did this in her honor.

I also recommend giving/knitting her a nice bini/hat because the night air is very cold on a bare scalp that is used to a full head of hair.

P. -
I am sorry to hear about your mother in law! My sister is a survivor of Breast Cancer. When she was going through chemo and radiation I put together a comfort bag for her to take to her treatments. A few of the things I included were a fleece blanket (the ones that are tied on the edges), a fleece scarf & hat, stationary to write letters while she was going through her treatments, and a few other odds and ends. I did all of the items using the pink ribbon theme.

I am sure no matter what you do for her she will love it!
P.

My MIL has been battling cancer for 5 years now. The first year, she lost a lot of weight and had very few shirts thsat fit anymore, so we bought her some that were tagless and had the bottons on the fron (like 3 or so) that she could wear while getting her chemo. This year, We put a photo album together, it is a small 4x^ album that she can take with her to chemo or wherever she wants to show off her grandaughter.

Another thing my MIL started using was an electric heated throw, as she was always cold.

Good luck in your search! I will keep her in my prayers!

1 / 3