Seeking Cold Remedy for a 19 Month Old?

My daughter has a very bad cold and her nose is blocked with thick mucus which refuses to come out. She is 19 month old, and her fever has subsided so I stopped giving her tylenol. Is there any home remedy I can try?

Thanks,
I.

Thank you Moms. I took your advice and bought Saline drops and even did a Vicks rub on the feet. Saniya is much better now, mucus is gone, remnants of a cough is still there. She is back to her day care and I am back to work. Thanks ever so much for all your advice and good thoughts.

A much relieved Mom, I.

Hi I.,

Have you tried a Humidifier? This may break up the mucus. Rub a small amount of Vic's vapor rub on her chest. If she has a cough (this may sound weird) rub Vic's vapor rub on the bottom of her feet and put on warm socks, this will calm the cough! Hope this works for you!

Nasal suction ball to try to remove the thick mucus, You also need to get a vaporizor, to help her breath and keep the mucus in control. There is even a vapor bath solution for children I think Vicks makes it.

Congratulations New Mother, you will do fine.

I am 60 years old, a mother of 3 children a grandmother of 9 and a great grandmother of 2

I agree, saline drops are great. A Neti pot is even better, but I think your daughter may not want you to use it, as she is still quite young.
I have a humidifier running often in the colder months. I like a humidifier with a digital display that tells you when to change the filters and has an adjustable humidity level, so that it doesn't become more humid than you want.
Hope your daughter recovers soon!

Hello I.,

I'm all for natural remedies when available and when they work enough--but sometimes you need a little more. My Dr. just recommended Mucinex (spelling?) for my 18 month old son. They have a kind for kids that is in granular form. It looks like a pixie stick. He said the dose for my 21 pound son is half of a packet every 4-6 hours to help thin the mucus enough so it can drain / be cleared out easier. The saline drops worked well for my kids when it was just in their noses and I could then use the asperator (sp?).

Saline drops are the best. I saw at Target today that Tylenol makes a brand of them. They are amazing, it's also amazing what will come out your daughters nose when you use them. I also raise the mattress on her crib. I've never had luck with a humidifier. I also use the Johnson's and Johnson's menthol bath stuff.
Best of luck!
PS. Last year when my husband and daughter got sick I cleaned the house and aired it out most of one day. Changed all the sheets, pillow cases and washed all the blankets. The cold/flu whatever it was stopped there and we had a pretty mellow winter last year.

My friend, a nurse, has told me I can use saline drops (it doesn't have any chemicals) for my baby's nose when that happens to soften the boogers so they will soften and drain. Or then you can use the bulb they give you at the hospital that sucks out the boogers once they are reduced to mucus. I haven't had to try it yet but will.

Dear I.,
Saline sprays are great, but I always used vick's vapo rub on my kids. Same thing my mom always used. A little on the chest under a t-shirt. The vapors help with congestion. I haven't heard of it causing respiratory problems. Many people swear by rubbing vick's on the soles of the feet and putting socks on to clear up coughs. My kids actually liked the vick's on their chests and backs because it gives a warming feeling. Now that they are older, they like a little bit just under their nostrils. It breaks the mucus up so it can be blown out.

I hope you find what works for you and that your little one will be feeling better soon!

Reduce or eliminate dairy intake until it subsides. Dairy creates thick sticky mucus.

Saline nasal spray. She won't like it at first, but she'll get used to it. even if she doesn't, you've just got to get one good squirt in each nostril a couple of times a day.

My son, now almost 4, actually asks for "nose spray" before he tries to blow his nose when he's got a bad cold.

Hope this helps,

1 / 3