"Seeking Arm Cast Advice"

Hi! I am writing to see if any other mothers have any hints or experience with their small children wearing casts. My 5 1/2 year old son broke his wrist while horseplaying with his older brother. Anyways, he received a hard cast about a week ago and I am trying to clean his finger areas but it still stinks a little bit. Does anyone have any helpful hints in cleaning around the cast area or keeping it from smelling. Thanks!

My daughter went through 2 casts before we found this waterproof castliner material on the internet. She got the first two wet (broke wrist at beginning of summer and tried playing around the pool and at the beach with all sorts of contraptions to try to keep the cast dry ... nothing worked 100%). My ortho suggested this castliner, I bought it and it was delivered to my home in 2 days ... went to ortho the next day and she was cast into her 3rd cast with the waterproof material and we were all so happy. We only wished we had found it sooner! She was swimming in the pool, bathing, no stink, no itching and when the cast was removed ... her arm & skin looked great! Here is the link ...

http://www.castliner.com/

P.S. My ortho only recommends it for short arm casts b/c the water can drain out easier.

Great stuff!

D.,

My husband broke his ankle recently (fishing of all things!!!). We found that Glad Cling Wrap is the BEST for showers/baths. It actually clings to the cast so NO water gets on it. Just be careful not to get too much water get inside, as that's where odor comes from. Wrap the cast in the cling wrap then use alcohol soaked cotton balls to clean his fingers and the top of the cast area. Although the Dr's recommended against it, when my son broke his wrist, I found a SMALL amount of cornstarch down there works pretty well to control odor. I found it works better then baking soda for some reason. But really nothing totally prevents that smell...

H.

Use cotton balls soaked with rubbing alcohol, or get a package of presoaked wipes at the drug store, for ease and when out & about. Don't let the cast get wet. Keep the cast and the internal cotton padding clean and very dry. Teach him to wipe his hands clean with baby wipes followed by the alcohol wipes instead of soap/water until the cast comes off. If it will be a long time....check with your orthopedic doc to see if you can get him switched to a waterproof, breathable mesh cast.

P.S. Do NOT put anything inside the cast to clean or itch, do NOT put baby powder inside either...this can cause build up and caking of the powder...skin breakdown and yeast to grow....causing a skin infection. Then you will all be miserable!

Baby wipes work pretty good. You could also sprinkle a little baking soda to help with the smell. No matter what you are going to have some smell just wait till they take it off STINKY!!

D.,

H.

I know it's hard to do, but sprinkle some baby powder into the cast around the fingers.It will help with the smell. Good luck.

there are homeopathics to help with healing- arnica and symphytum- (knit bone)

When my daughter broke her arm I remember that you couldn't get the cast wet so I asked for the kind you can remove and put back on. It has straps to velcro them into place. Good luck. M. R.

have you tried q-tips? or even baby wipes. try not to get the cast wet.

http://www.castliner.com/

Great stuff!

1 / 3