Seeking Alternative to a Silent Auction Fundraiser

My daughter's school is looking to have a major fundraiser this year and we have opted to try something other than a silent auction night. Las Vegas Night has come up, but I have no idea where to go from there. How do you go about getting dealers, the right tables, materials, etc.

Any other ideas for a fun, entertaining, yet money making event that you have been too or have heard of other places having. My husband and I are new to this committee and I would like to go to our first meeting with some valid suggestions. This is for parents and adults only. Thank you so much for your ideas in advance.

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your ideas and where to find more ideas. I really appreciate all of your help. Our first meeting was very productive and my husband and I came to the table with great ideas. The final decision will be made after a few phone calls to check on some details.

Thank you again!

Candle light bowls are fun and pretty easy to run but are for adults only! I am sponsoring one for my son's baseball team this winter. We are doing during it all kinds of games for the adults during the bowling.

Another more kid friendly idea is to have a kids fun night/dance. We sponsor this for my son's baseball team also. There is a Dj so the kids can dance and we also have a dodge ball tournament along with it (in a separate gym/area of the building) We charge a flat fee to get into the dance (usually $5) and then it is and additional fee to get a group of your friends into the tournament. The tournament is single elimination and the winners get a gift card to a local best buy or somewhere like that. The last dance that was held in this location ( a local Mega plex sports arean) had almost 900 kids show up. It was open to anyone ages 8 - 13. We just had to have parents to supervise. This can be done on a smaller scale too but it gives the kids something to do on a Friday night and the parents don't have to worry about safety.

For a Vegas Night, there are a number of companies that provide everything for you, for a fee of course.

What about hosting a Craft Fair?

Good Luck.

What kind of school does your child attend? That may help with any advice for school-themed appropriate advice...

I was recently reading a FamilyFun magazine and they had suggestions for "different" fundraisers. I didn't get to read the whole article (I was at the dr's office) - I think it was the September issue. You might want to see if you can find it.

The only idea I remember involved kids - one school had a big machines day. They got the local fire dept. and various contractors to bring in big trucks, etc. for the kids to climb on. They charged a fee for kids to get on each one ($2?). The trucks, etc. were all donated so it sounded like a pretty good fundraiser.

Good luck!!

My daughters former school held a sock hop every year. They had a DJ and the kids and parents all dressed up 50's style. Pizza and rootbeer floats were served. Everyone paid $5 for the evening and brought a new pair of socks to be donated to a shelter. It was a great fundraiser that everyone enjoyed and helped a charity at the same time.

1 / 3