Seeking Advice on How to Travel Overseas with 6 Month Old

Hello. I will be traveling with my six month old daughter to South America and the flight is pretty long. What advice does anyone have for me and how to avoid her having ear problems and not getting bored. She flew with me before and had a bad crying fest on of the flights but I learned to put a bottle in her mouth when we took off and landed but what do I do if she does not want to take the bottle or falls asleep. I need advice badly.. Thank You..

For the plane - finger foods if she's eating them or something to suck on like a pacifier, bottle, or one of those mesh feeders. Bring toys she has never seen before, or ones that she hasn't seen in a while (hide them a few weeks before the trip) Try giving her things she doesn't usually get at home that would be a treat. Also, taking the carseat with the GoGo Kidz Travelmate was a lifesaver for me. I was able to wheel my son through the airport, and when the flight wasn't full, he got to sit in his carseat which made it easier for him to sleep and be comfortable. Best wishes

babywearing! wear her through the airport, you'll have your hands free! wear her through security- they most likely won't make you take her out (I have successfully worn both of my boys many time)- use a pouch or a Mei Tai (no metal like a ring sling)- where are you? find some local babywearers (a group) and learn all the ways you can wear her!
yes you'll have a stroller, but you must put that through the x-ray, so wearing her makes it so you have your hands free to load everything up onto the x-ray belt...

M.,
I travelled from Florida to California (5 hr flight) when my son was 6 mos old. He did GREAT!!
Are you nursing? If so, nurse when you take off & when you land. Try not to drink too much b/c you will have to go to the bathroom & who will hold your baby? I know I was leary about a stranger holding him. Have some small toys that dont make any noise to distract her...maybe some books. My son slept most of the way, maybe you will get lucky too!
Heather

The first time I flew with my daughter she was 8 months & it was a LONG day. I just made sure I had things she could suck on that she would enjoy. Although I was very against candy, I made sure I had lolly pops b/c as you know, the sucking helps their ears to pop. My daughter did very well. I could tell her ears were bugging her a little at times, but other than that I just brought some toys & was very exhasted from entertaining when we arrived at our destination. We flew alone with no help, I am not sure if you have help or not. Just her & I! I wish you luck.

bring her favorite books and toys

More power to you! The fear of flying with an infant scared me enough to never try it. So I'm sure others out there will offer way better advice.
We don't do tv at home, but I would totally get one of those mini dvd players...I have lots of friends (flight attendants) that swear by this for long flights. Also, if you ask for them to move you to an empty row, if there's one available that might give you more space to move around.
Bring a small bag with toys she hasn't seen in a while or maybe even get some new ones and whenever she gets fussy pull a new one out. Also, remember the odd toys. My son will obsess over a plastic cup or a piece of paper and those are things you can ask the attendant for.
Bring your baby bjorn and that way you can strap her in and your arms won't be so tired and you'll be able to move about more freely in the airport. I have several friends that are flight attendants and they all say that they do whatever they can for the moms so don't be afraid to ask for whatever it is you need.
Oh, a funny bonus....one of my friend's got her daughter a shirt that says, "Aren't you lucky! You get to sit next to me." How funny is that!
Best of luck!!!!! Sorry I couldn't be more help.

She wants to be held. She's got to be in the seat at take off and landing, stupid rules; but enforced. You are the calm one, get her into the car seat at take off and then take her out and nurse/bottle feed...Pacifier will help during this take-off/landing time because the air pressure is shifting. It hurts. Hey, babies cry for a reason. They want mommie to hold them. can't blame them! Hope it's a good trip!!! Love your baby!

Not sure exactly what to say for a 6 month old. Our son was 18 months. But the general idea is the same I guess. We made sure he had munchies, a drink and small toys to play with. And I think a bottle is definitely a great way to prevent ear popping for her. Someone else said that she'd be in a seat, but when we flew we were told that there is a "infant on lap" policy for kids under 2. It even said that on our ticket. If she is in a seat of her own, at least once you are in the air you can hold her.

1 / 3