Seeking Advice on 11 Yr Old Girl Shaving for First Time

Hi Ladies. My 11-year-old daughter wants to shave her legs. If I look closely, I can see that she has hair, but it's not really noticeable. I am considering buying her an electric shaver rather than a blade/shaving cream. Does anyone have any suggestions of good electric shavers for young girls? Also, I told her that once she begins shaving, the hair will grow in more noticably, so now she doesn't want to even shave it. But I still want to buy the shaver, just in case, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hi D.. My daughter was 11 when she started shaving her legs. She used a regular razor and a shave gel. If she doesn't have much hair, I wouldn't start til it's noticeable. If you uncomfortable with the idea of a razor, a depilatory cream could be an alternative.

Hi there, my first instinct was not to let her, she's too young! Then I thought back to when I was 12 and had class swimming lessons. I also had leg hair, but mine was dark. My Mom got me some Nair to use. Maybe try that if she asks again? I wish that she didn't have hair on her legs at all, but it's just plain old reality and I've been there. Good Luck!

Hi there, congrats! to you and your daughter, now the "fun" is about to come-PUBERTY and all its wonders!, it was so much easier when they were younger but this was bound to happen.
First off, it's totally an old wives tale that the hair will grow back darker, stronger etc, and if she feels embarrassed let her shave. Just make sure she has the good razors and shaving cream so she doesn't get a rash or nicks.
I remember freaking out initally too but now I wish I could return to that time as well,... Good Luck and enjoy, M.

Like S. R, I started shaving w/o my mother's knowledge. It is wrong to stop her from shaving, I should have had help and supplies. My hair has always been dark and thick. I wanted to be sensitive to her needs, so I buy her clothes and supplies and makeup, it is hard enough to go through emotional upheavals at this age. Electric razors don't cut that close, I use one only when no water is available. And the depilatories never worked for me.

I suggest getting her a razor and shaving gel, and give her a little instruction, then just let her handle it. And when the eyebrows issue comes up, take her to a good hairdresser. Young girls will find it difficult to pluck. I used to do it by hand and it took hours. My eyebrows were also very thick.

Hi D., I think if your daughter changed her mind, forget it for now. I also don't agree that hair grows back thicker(as my dad tried to tell me to discourage shaving) I did shave my legs for years and hardly have any now. If you can hardly see the hair on her legs, that is most likely the way her hair grows. Good luck, raising girls is a series of issues.Go with your gut. My best, Grandma Mary (mother of 5)

sounds like you already handled it, she's not interested in her hair growing back thicker, and darker. If it were me, I'd talk to her about blade vs electric. Let her see how they are used, the pros and cons and then let her decide. I am pretty sure I started shaving when I was around 12-13 years old. I used a blade razor. I cut myself a few times, but nothing serious. Just nicks and stuff. She's getting older and interested in older stuff. You can use this an experience together. You can help teach and guide her, and help her make her own decision. Me? I picked up a razor for the first time at 10 and shaved my legs. I used my mom's. My mom was really surprised, and I got over my curiosity and then didn't do it again for another couple of years.

Sorry, I don't have any advice on good electric shavers. I just wanted to suggest that if the hair on her legs is bothering her but not enough that she wants to shave, then just try bleaching it. They sell home bleaching kits at Harmons or any beauty store. Just test a small area first in case she is allergic to it.

She is way to young. She has to know this is forever. Her hair will go back thicker and it will hurt as times when she does not want to shave. I read someone said let it go. I suggest the same, she is just a little girl.

Good Luck! :)

1 / 3