Seeking Advice for Swim Lessons for Autistic Child in Carrollton

I am thinking of introducing swim lessons to my mildly autistic son. He will wade in the pool to his thighs, but that's all. He doesn't like for us to even hold him in the deeper end. I don't want to push him and it backfire. Any suggestions?

Rachael Bellamy is a certified Red Cross WSI (water safety instructor). She has taught for more than 10 years and has worked with special needs children in the past. She offers private lessons in addition to the swim programs she runs at Mountain View Community College and at the Jewish Community Center in Dallas. She is highly effective. Her number is: ###-###-####.

It may be too far for you to drive, but TWU in Denton had a great swim program for kids with various needs. My sister was one of the instructors for a couple of years.

Refer to the City of Carrollton Leisure Connections magazine (online at the city website). There are individual swim lessons for children with special needs. The lessons at the Rosemeade Pool would be ideal because they have a lesser depth pool so he can only get in to his thighs. Good luck!

My cousin's son has autism, and LOVES his swimming lessons. She has someone come to her house, and it is just such a happy time for him. You might want to contact some of the local graduate schools For speech-langaueg pathology or occupational therapy), and see if they have any graduate students who teach swimming (I did this when I was in graduate school at UTD's Callier Center for Communication Disorders). You would hopefully find someone with swimming experience, and experience and knowledge of your child's needs. Also, graduate students are always interested in the experience, and of course some extra income doesn't hurt!

Hi there, check with YMCA. They have special need kids' swim classes and these classes are very very cheap for these kids specially. classes are one on one. Instructors are great. I know COPPELL YMCA offers those classes.

We tried Elmer in Plano once. There was like three classes in the pool at the same time. It was too much noise for my sensory sensitive guy. Maybe if they know it's a special student they design the class differently. Be sure to ask about this if noise is an issue. We never went back.

We had more success going to the wade pool area at Plano Rec. pools. Once he has warmed up on the fun slides, etc. then we go over to the big pool and "swim" around. He's in a life jacket and we are holding him while he practices the movements for swimming. That was last year when he was two. We totally let him go at his own pace which can be slow and fustrating for us but he needs the time and reassurance. Seeing the other kids having fun at the community pool really helped too.

K., try Emler Swim School in Plano, they work with children with special needs!

www.iswimemler.com

Hope this helps :)

The Carrollton Rec Center system (Rosemeade) offers private lessons. You could call and see if there is anyone that might be especially good with children and special needs. I know for my son the lessons were wonderful as they geared the lesson to him and his level.

1 / 3